Insurance for someone riding my horse

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by callmesue, Mar 13, 2009.

1. callmesue

callmesue New Member

Can anyone help me with with what insurance can be taken out for someone riding one of my horses quite often in case she comes off and hurts herself.
    I dont want to be sued if something happened. My horse is very quiet but you just never know?
    Its ok the other person saying oh I would never hold you responsible but at the end of the day if an accident:( did happen they may change their ideas of its ok. Any help would be appreciated. I thought about maybe getting them to take out EFA insurance as that covers you out riding whilst training them. :))

2. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

are they riding at an agistment or on your own property?

3. callmesue

callmesue New Member

They would always be with me on my other horse riding bush work. I have 2 horses that need working and I dont have time for both. It is actually mother and son(horse). I am getting the youngster ready for endurance. His mum has done it before and although the mare is absolutely dead quiet there is always that chance something bad can happen. And as much as people say they wont hold you responsible when it comes to the crunch I really dont want to be sued for anything.
    I thought maybe the EFA insurance which I actually have and then it covers me anywhere (in bush) whilst training.:))

4. GiGi

GiGi Guest

I ride 3 times per week, other peoples horses on their property. I took out my own EFA insurance for $100 p/year. That covers me for riding anyones horse anywhere.

5. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

EFA insurance will NOT stop somebody from sueing you! EFA insurance is PERSONAL ACCIDENT insurance and will only cover you (ie the person falling off) for medical costs.

6. callmesue

callmesue New Member

Thanks for all the responses. Food for thought.:confused:.Maybe I will just have to lead one off the other to be safe.:))
    Thanks again folks

7. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Can you not get the person to sign a disclaimer? This is what I did on both occasions that I leased a horse to someone to ride. Write one up that will cover you in all situations ( e.g making you not liable for personal injury or death, damage to property caused by the horse whilst being ridden or handled by the other person or injury to a third party)

8. callmesue

callmesue New Member

Thanks NP that is a good suggestion of a disclaimer and get it signed by a JP might make it legal also.:))

9. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

As long as you get a impartial third person ( not a relative) to witness you and the rider signing, it will be legal.

10. callmesue

callmesue New Member

Thanks for that NP I will take that all on board.:))

11. delta

delta New Member

delta

Hi I was until recently running trail rides but due to a certain red head gelding I now cant ride .I found AON to be very reasonable but if your not doing it for money it's way out of your range. An old man told me he used a co: called Suncorp which the client paid for the ride insuance on the day ,which would work out to your benifit . Does anyone else have any info on this ?

12. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I am currently investigating insurance.
    Disclaimers have no standing on court they will not prevent you being sued. All they show is that you have pointed out the dangers inherit in horse riding.

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

I heard today about an organisation called australian equine alliance which supposedly covers any horse rider on any property. I googled it, but was unsure of what it really covered - cheap enough though at $55.
    If anyone is good at reading fine print, have a look and explain it to me. :confused:

14. silversiskan

silversiskan New Member

Hi, I had equine alliance insurance and it was fantastic, basically covered you for everything you did on a horse, anywhere, anytime.

Unfortunately the shut down with the effects of EI and the economic crisis. Hopefully they will get it back up and running, but insurance is very hard to find at a reasonable price.

I am always looking out for rider insurance and any help is always appreciated.

15. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah, i also heard this.

What about if you say that the rider does so at 'their own risk' and they 'understand and accept the risks'?

Also, i heard that if you have one drawn up by a lawyer, it will be legal and will stand up in court. Is this true?