insurance for bringing horse over from ES

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by himitsu, Dec 9, 2008.

1. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

im looking to bring a horse across from the ES and think insurance would be a wise idea... especially an insurance that would cover death, loss of use and vet fees. What policy would people recommend and how much should it cost? Any advice greatly appreciated:)*

2. himitsu

sheesh helpful bunch aren't you!

3. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

I've got my new boy coming this arvo from VIC and have him insured throught Petplan for Death & Vet cover. Its about $80 a month for $10000 and if you wanted loss of use your probably looking at another $50 a month. Depends on what $$ you have them insured for. Just remember that illness & lost the lost of use part does not come into cover until after 21 days.

My other mare is insured for death , vet cover & 60% loss of use for $7000 and it costs me about $85

So if you bought a horse and put it on the truck straight away and it got travel sickness vet cover would not cover you until after 21 days

4. himitsu

Thanks for the tip. So its better to keep him agisted where he is for a few weeks after purchase so that he is covered.

With loss of use, because he is only 2 and not broken etc, does it cover for loss of potential use? IE im buying him as a dressage horse but obviously he is not that yet... so if he was injured and not able to do dressage can i claim it?

5. pso

pso Gold Member

lol...Its an unbroken baby h...it HAS no use to lose! (if you could claim for loss of POTENTIAL use...all mine would be insured!)

weigh up the cost of insurance relative to the purchase price....I'm not sure I'd bother with full comprehensive in this case? (ie approx $1k pa)

Try some of the bigger companies (the ones that do fall of hammer insurance at sales etc)...and maybe just go for travel insurance?...

JMO:))

6. himitsu

Thanks for the hint PSO **) What does travel insurance cover?