Insurance for "borrowed" horse???

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by maxntaz, Jul 29, 2009.

1. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Im currently babysitting a horse for a very good friend of mine, due to her ill health. I know that my friend has the horse insured, but because the horse is with my horse (in Merredin) and the horse is actually from Manjimup, does this mean it wouldnt be covered by my friends insurance? Should i be adding the horse to my insurance (i have my horse insured)? If that makes sense.

I treat the horse as if its my own, pay for farrier, teeth, vet (if needed - hope not!), while she is in my care. Im just doing my friend a favour as the horse needs the work while she is so ill.

I do a fair bit of travelling with the both horses ie lessons in perth, kellerberrin, go out to the farm etc. What do you guys think i should do?

2. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I am not to sure on the what's what with insurance. Maybe you could ring the said insurance company and ask if it is acceptable. They will be able to tell you what is included in the plan your friend has etc.

3. maxntaz

Yes Im going to talk to my insurance company, i think that would be the best place to start and then when my friend is out of hospital, i might see if she can suss it out with hers too. Probably the best thing to do.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

you know if I were you I would contact them by email and ask for an email reply. That way they cannot deny info you have been given as they have been known to do.

mmm think it sounds like I have been scammed by insurance before?

I have and so have friends of mine. Make sure you clarify anything in writing not by voice.

5. maxntaz

Sorry - Im not sure what you are talking about?

I know that the mare is insured by my friend - all her horses are (she has a stud) - she recommended a particular agency to me to insure my horses with. All I was wondering is if i should insure her too, given that Im looking after her for the next 12-18months, and she is not residing on the property of her actual owner.

Im not sure why i need to email etc - there isnt anything dodgy happening?

Sorry im just a bit confused :confused: :p

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Sorry Max. I was doing my kids favourite trick. Having half a conversation and forgetting you couldn't mind read. lol

I would suggest emailing or writing to the insurance companies involved and getting their written response. So you get their answer in writting.

e.g. you write them saying this is the situation, do you cover the horse in this situation.

Then get their answer back IN WRITING.

Yes of course we will cover you in this situation. May be the answer you are given. If this is in writing, fabulous! That means that if heaven forbid something was to go wrong and you needed to claim you would have in writing that you are covered. Cant get better then that

If you had a verbal agreement over the phone as have I and friends of mine, when things go wrong the insurance company could easily say as was said to my friends and myself that no we weren't covered and because we had no record of it in writing we could not challenge this.

So I am absolutely not saying you are doing anything at all dodgy, but trying to make sure that you are protected from companies that can be dodgy.

My friend was given an assurance that his insurance claim covered his friends belongings in his house until they were stolen when they refused to pay up.

In my case my then husband had a death and perminant disability insurance policy. When he injured his back I rang them and said if he had the cover that we had and this injury happened would he be covered they said yes but when we went to claim they said no. In that case he totally was covered by all the criteria given in the written policy but we thought he wasn't because we assumed that the company would be ethical and I was trying to mother two children, one with autism, one a babe in arms and nurse a husband with a serious back injury that took a heck of a long time to heal and caused him huge pain and anger issues

Some insurance companies have a first up policy of refusing all claims until many attempts have been made to get a genuine payout.

So I am trying to suggest that you protect yourself by getting the answer to your question straight from the relevant insurance company and make sure it is in writing.

Does that make more sense? I think my brain is fried tonight lol.

7. maxntaz

Ahhh - yes that makes sense... thanks for your response! I did get a little confused earlier!