Instructors interested in assisting with standardbred retraining

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Crackerjack, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

Hi All,

I am looking at taking on a 4 stb year old gelding who has been retired as a racing prospect as he is too slow. For the most part he has been worked being ridden rather than in a jog cart so he has a basic understanding of ridden aids.

Im going out to veiw him on the weekend with a veiw to take him on if he is sound & level headed. I've had a couple of years with limited riding however I am still very confident & not too unbalanced.

Prior to the break over the last couple of years I had been riding everyday for 14 years on a variety of horses (OTTB to pleasure hacks). My previous riding horse was a TB with a serious attitude problem & we managed okay however he is retired now due to soundness issues/age - hence the look for a new pony.

I am looking to find instructors that have an interest in working with riders and STB's off the track? Are there any?

I would be looking to spell the new horse for a couple of months, perhaps longer prior to commencing any serious ridden work, remouthing/restarting is an option I have looked into with Fred Watkins too.

Would love feedback from any other Standy owners or enthusiast or even from people who know anyone :)

Cheers,
    Megs

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Hi :)

Where are you located? I'm South of the River, so the ones i know of may not be of use...

Bayley Thomas has extensive experience with stbs and a good knowledge of the breed so would be a great starting point.

Marj Radford is very good with them also.

You may also find that Ian Smith would be quite good when he is here for his clinics as his sister is a stb trainer so i would expect ian to have some idea about the breed.

It can be tricky finding an instructor that can work on improving their little quirks as they do move differently to a normal horse, however you should find success with any good instructor. I like to have a regular instructor, and then go to clinics to try new things and take away what works for my horse.

Good luck :)

3. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

What kind of riding are you hoping to do with him? I had an off the track standy a long while ago, I just took him along to my regular instructor as required.

4. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far! As for area, I am in Gidgegannup but I am happy enough to travel around the place if someone is worth seeing & if they have facilities to instruct at their property/somewhere else.

Freestyle I shall have a squiz at your suggestions!

Magic_ Impact - As for intended use, to start with just general bush riding until he is a bit more balanced and we can carry out half decent transitions, from there hopefully ARC and perhaps down the track I might look at doing some lower level showing - obviously this is all depending on whether I get him or not & if he is suited to a chosen discipline.

I enjoy a bit of everything, jumping, hacking etc so I'd probably see how he went with some work and go from there, he could be useless at it or not enjoy it and in that case he would stay a bush hack.

I would however like to work with an instructor on improving paces & working in frame and of course after a bit of time off, I know I am going to need someone to whip me into shape.

While he is spelling I plan to go and do some lessons with an instructor to start that whipping me into shape phase. Also gives me a bit more time to lose some weight off my fat behind... he is only little compared to me 18hh TB gelding, It wouldnt be fair to squash him. ;)

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

I am based NOR, Wanneroo more specifically. I have extensive experience re-training STB's under saddle. My horses have won at royal and state championships level. I am now competing Medium level dressage and training all Advanced and Prix St George movements. I would be happy to help out.

6. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

kp would be awesome!! (i wish you were closer to oakford kp!!)

7. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

That would be awesome KP! I sincereley appreciate the offer :) I will definitely be in touch once he has come back from a bit of a spell and has some basics established.

8. kp

kp Well-known Member

Thanks Freestyle :D. You never know when I will end up down your way!

As for the break Crackerjack. Don't give them to long off unless there is something wrong with him. There really is no real need. One of mine went to her first show 6 weeks after her last race start. She was second from about 30 horses in best presented, won champion mare. And worked super under saddle for a second behind a very seasoned campaigner.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

Noted KP, I'm more used to OTTB's that really need a good spell after coming off the track I guess, This boy would have been shorter as he has been allowed to be a horse out in the paddock with other horses and has been ridden for his jog work rather than driven.

Cannot wait to have a standy in my paddock though, I rode them quite a bit in high school and they are hands down my favourite for temperament & they are quite versatile once they get the idea of what you want, from stock work to jumping they seem to be able to give it a bloody good go!!

10. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

I have had a fair few SB over the past few years in for training/re training for dressage and the show ring
    Im also very close to you at The Lakes so can provide on going lessons and support etc
    :)

11. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

Thanks Primrose, I appreciate that! :)
    The lakes isnt far at all and its lovely out that way too.