Injuries sustained from your horses

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by bee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

Gee whiz!!! All I've had is a broken toe *touchwood* (along with the millions of cuts and bruises but thats a given with horses!)

2. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

I hate saying this because I will probably jinx myself but I have been extremely lucky over the years considering I have been riding for 30 years including 6 years of foxhunting (approx 82 in total).

I have had many bruises, concussion once and a severely bruised hip of which I still have episodes of bursitis (26 yo injury), permanent numb spot on my lower leg including a bony lump and a subluxed meniscus from my knee being twisted when my mare ran forward whilst I was mounting. Had a nasty bite from a TB stallion where I had a bruise extending from my shoulder to elbow including rivelets of blood trickling down the inside of my forearm. THAT HURT! It has to be one of the most painful events in my life. Black eye, nothing compared to some of you guys thank goodness:)

Julie

3. abi

abi Well-known Member

fractured skull , broken nose , and uncountable bangs and knocks , last one was a kick up the butt on wednesday morning still picking sand out of my teeth!

4. dramaqueen

dramaqueen Well-known Member

A show jumping incident at the start of the year had me in hospital for a couple of days and out of riding for a couple of weeks. I've had soft tissue damage to my lil toe when a horse stood on it.

[​IMG]

When i was little i was being lead on a race horse and i slid off and had a green stick fracture on my wrist.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

E4E forced me :p
    Okay.
    Broken Shoulder. Galloping across a beach and horse bucked and smacked it on the tip of my shoulder blade. 5 years ago. Still isn't healed.

Loads others.

Most recent was being bucked off into a Jarrah pole, and then being flipped onto the gate.

Deep muscle bruising to my theigh and side muscle (dunno what its called lol) hairline fracture to my hip, huge cut round my back. concussion. Fainted 10 times because of the pain. Here's a pic:(not the best one sorry. Bruising is going down here. was ten times worse. and swollen)
    [​IMG]

6. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Well...
    To everyone who is in awe of Sharaway... You bl**dy better be too!!! Hhahahah she's freaking AMAZING to still be going!! Even though I do end up being her right hand/arm woman when I'm with her :D LOL

And anyone who is in awe of CD's AWESOME bruise - I am too :) she's amazing to keep going hahaha

My injuries have been pretty minor THANK GOD!
    I feel for you Bee - I too have broken my tailbone and it is worse than ANYTHING you other people have broken. LOL

Over 2 years has passed since I did it and because they can't cast it or anything, they left it.. I still can't sit for down for long. And when I sit down, I have to sit up real straight and can't sit on the back of my bum. Horse riding is PAINFUL (I'm not sposed to ride anymore heheh FAT CHANCE!!) but omg would never give it up..

Other than that, it's been mainly bruises and cuts. When I fall off I seem to bounce well hahahah usually only wind myself (TOUCH WOOD x 1 000 000 000 000) LOL

7. celestialdancer

bahaha
    at the gymkahana if you break a bone now kayli ima gonna laugh big time :p
    oh yeah.. i'll feel ermm sympathetic too :p
    meh my bruise is nothing haha

8. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Hahahahah annie if I fall off at the Gymkhana, I'm dragging you with me!! BAHAHAH

9. milo22

milo22 Active Member

oh dear they all look very painful but yet we still to it? *#)

I have had broken ribs, 3 broken metatarsals(?) bones in foot, had cast on for 8 wks that was hell, chipped my coccyx (tailbone) chipped a bone in my elbow lots of grazes and bruises and 2 broken fingers... :(

touch wood that is all that I get :)*

great thread and I hope all those injuries out there are healed up quickily and out there riding soon :)

10. bee

bee Active Member

Evener4ever yep a broken tailbone is very painful I agree...
    I had o have mine wired back together as the bone wasn't lined up straight and would never have healed properly.
    It is very hard to ride long amounts of time and you get very sore afterwards but hey you get that hey
    Awesome stories everyone I cant believe some of the injuries great photos too :)*
    Keep them coming

11. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

I'm pretty sure I at least dented my tailbone years back - I was riding my little Welshie bareback and in a halter, and one of my idiot brothers came out from behind a shed and opened an umbrella. Pony shied, I landed on my butt on the gravel driveway, and had trouble sitting for any length of time for about the next 5 years.
    Never occurred to me to get it checked out by a doctor or anything though!

12. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I'd forgotten something like this happened to me too. I was at a clinic at my instructors place on my at the time T/B. He was working nicely until we started heading towards my instructor he promplty spun dumping me on my ass. Like you I could hardly move. Sitting hurt, standing omg near impossible.
    Worse part was it was a 3 day clinic and it happened first lesson on the first day. I rode in all my lessons and Yes it hurt like hell. I didn't go to the doctor's either

13. LAURAmay

LAURAmay Well-known Member

fell off and landed on my head which resulted in a broken collarbone.

headbutted when taking off a bridle and broke my nose.

i was kicked in my thigh by my old horse. i womited with the pain.

um i was riding a little pony and i dismounted off him and fell in a hole and broke my ankle. when i went to the hospital i wouldnt let them cut of my boots cause they were brand new. lol

also i was putting boots on syd back legs and he got a fright and jumped on the side of my knee. stupid me was kneeling on one leg. DONT KNEEL WHEN YOUR WORKING WITH HORSES!!!!

14. astraia

astraia Guest

I though this was classic!

Ecstasy 'no more dangerous than horse riding' - Telegraph

Ecstasy 'no more dangerous than horse riding'
    Taking ecstasy is no more dangerous than riding a horse, according to the head of the Government's drug advisory body.

By Christopher Hope, Whitehall Editor
    Published: 6:30AM GMT 07 Feb 2009

Writing in an academic journal, Professor David Nutt said taking ecstasy was no worse than the risks of "equasy", a term he invented to describe people's addiction to horse-riding.

Prof Nutt is the chairman of the Home Office's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs which next week is likely to say that ecstasy should be downgraded to a Class B drug.

Campaigners last night called for him to resign, suggesting that he was on a "personal crusade" to decriminalise the drug.

Prof Nutt, who is an academic at Bristol University and Imperial College, London, wrote the article in the Journal of Psychopharmacology last month.

He said he wanted to compare the risks of horse-riding with the drug to open a debate about drug abuse and risk taking.

Prof Nutt told The Daily Telegraph: "The point was to get people to understand that drug harm can be equal to harms in other parts of life.

"There is not much difference between horse riding and ecstasy."

In the article, titled "Equasy: An overlooked addiction with implications for the current debate on drug harms", Prof Nutt wrote that "equasy", short for "Equine Addiction Syndrome", had caused 10 deaths and more than 100 road traffic accidents a year.

Through hunting, it also led to "gatherings of users that often are associated with these groups engaging in violent conduct.

"Dependence, as defined by the need to continue to use, has been accepted by the courts in divorce settlements," he wrote. "Based on these harms, it seems likely that the ACMD would recommend control under the MDAct perhaps as a class A drug given it appears more harmful than ecstasy."

He wrote that the risks of horse riding showed that society "does not adequately balance the relative risks of drugs against their harms".

He said: "Making riding illegal would completely prevent all these harms and would be, in practice, very easy to do. (haha, yeah right!!)

"This attitude raises the critical question of why society tolerates – indeed encourages – certain forms of potentially harmful behaviour but not others, such as drug use."

There were plenty of other "risky activities such as base jumping, climbing, bungee jumping, hang-gliding, motorcycling" which were worse than which "many illicit drugs".

Campaigners said Prof Nutt's comments were ill-judged, coming ahead of the council on whether to downgrade the drug from A to B.

David Raynes, an executive councillor at the National Drug Prevention Alliance said: "Professor Nutt has made numerous unwise comments prejudging the ACMD review of Ecstasy. Is he on a personal crusade against the laws enacted by Parliament?

"He is entitled to his opinion, but if his personal view conflicts so very strongly with his public duties, it would be honourable to consider his position.

"If he does not, the Home Secretary should certainly do it for him."

The advisory council insisted that Prof Nutt was writing in the journal "in respect of his academic work and not as chair of the ACMD".

A spokesman said: "Prof Nutt's academic research does not prejudice the work that he conducts as chair of the ACMD."

There are 500,000 regular users and between 30 million and 60 million ecstasy pills in circulation in the UK.

If the advisory council recommends downgrading ecstasy next week, the Government can over-rule it - as happened with cannabis this year.

The council heard last year that deaths among ecstasy users had trebled from 10 to 30 a year over the past 15 years. The cost of pills had slumped from £15.50 to £2.30.

15. Slimey94

Slimey94 Well-known Member

My injuries are nothing compared to some of you guys! lol
    All i have done is fractured my wrist, that was on anzac day and i got knocked out (can't remeber falling or the horse bucking lol), :p and just bruises and spinifex splinters lol
    i think i need to learn to stay on bucking horses **)

16. Slimey94

Slimey94 Well-known Member

omg Astraia! hahahahahahahh

"He said: "Making riding illegal would completely prevent all these harms and would be, in practice, very easy to do." <<<< yeah, whatever you reckon mate! :p hahah

What is this guy on ?? LMAO

17. celestialdancer

18. astraia

astraia Guest

I definitely suffer from "equasy" :p:D

19. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

umm now i have to stop and think

Been double barrelled in the boobs
    Been doubled barrelled in the bum.
    Been kicked in the "ovary region"
    Been trodden on too many times to remember
    Had a suspected cracked rib ( too busy to go to the dr and what can they do about it anyway!!)

and worse..... a simple little pig root off my friends pony left me with mild concusion and broke my back in three places T6, T7 and T8, so now have arthritic changes in spine so will probably end up a stooped over little old woman.:(
    BUT WE DONT LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES.. DO WE.? NOP.

20. celestialdancer

:eek:
    jeez OBHH how do you manage?
    that must be painful!!!

and ow. double barralled in the boobs. thats gotta hurt *cringes*