In here if you intend to compete at the SEC

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Babe, Dec 22, 2008.

1. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

I dnt think they empty their stables out completly with there horses standing in them, cleaning out in general yes, but not emptying out

2. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

I can totally see why the SEC have bought these rules in. It is also my understanding that the rule of "not tying horses to floats" has been in for some time.

As far as the pony club yards go I don't think they have gates on them either, but perhaps they are going to install some. Mind you the pony club is a fair hike from the grounds if your in a rush to a class.

I think i'll be paying the $20 to have my stables cleaned out, but on the other hand I don't think they'll be that big an issue to clean out as long as the wheel barrow etc... is supplied as don't forget your only putting a bag or two of material in there so they won't be as full as what you'd have your stables at home.

They are obviously going to have to bend the rules or build a heap more yards to accommodate fixtures such as the Interschools as they normally have way more entries than there is yards and stables. But I did hear that they are building more stables on the grounds in the future.

It probably all still works out cheaper than showing over East and I can assure you our facilities are much better than some of theirs.

3. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

I think i'll lead my horse around between classes at summer series and tie to a float (or maybe a tree.... hehehe is there a rule against that?) to saddle up.

EDIT to add: i sure as heck am not doing a helper duty if it means my horse has to stand in a concrete stable while im doing it, or i have to bring shavings! Stuff that, ill pay the helper fee

4. pso

pso Gold Member

yep, thats the spirit heif...you'd rather pay $10 helper fee, than $5 shavings fee??????:confused:

5. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Himitsu I don't think you'll be competing unless you have a stable or yard booked and paid for with your entries, that's the only way they are going to control people not tying up at the floats. All entered exhibits have a stable/yard booked and paid for prior to the competition. Its obviously going to be trial and error to start with, but I think they'll start to crack down on people with ideas such as yours soon enough.

User pays system sounds fair enough to me...

6. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

that wont work dollar cuz their saying u cant prebook the yards its not as bad as what i first thought when all the fuss started ....if weve only got one or two in ill be paying the cleaning fee (and i was one of the ones who DID clean my own stable properly) either that or take the shavings home for my garden

7. dressagedivaII

dressagedivaII Well-known Member

It is expensive but i see where theyre coming from, so i will just buy a piece of rubber matting for the stable so i dont have to buy sawdust, way easier;), decides its not that hard to clean out your stable....but where do you put the old shavings??

8. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

What a waste it would be to have sawdust for just between classes when i can just hold onto him. Very wasteful to use it just for an hour or so! Esp because i dont have stables and therefore would have to buy sawdust... Easier to pay the $10 help fee and not have to clean stables, cart stuff to stables, buy sawdust, get key etc. Different story if you are staying all day or overnight.

9. pso

pso Gold Member

why not just take the horse home then-after your test- and make him comfortable, and come back down after you've had a nice sit in the AC and had a cold drink?*#)

10. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Wonder if they've worked out how much it will cost in lost entries and bookings vs extra revenue?

Doesn't seem all that well thought out to me.

11. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

hmmm makes me wonder if I'll bother competing now at shows held at the SEC, I will tho, if I dont HAVE to book a stable with my show entries. I havent shown a big horse in a while (had the minis) so I dont feel it would be fair to force a stable booking for a tiny midget... I guess if I had a big horse I would NEED a stable, but I doubt I will be bothered to buy bedding to take with me to the show, how would you do that anyway?

so the other option is to pay $20, and you get bedding in the stable with that? that would be what i would do, but thats a fair jump on some show entries...

12. FMTY08

FMTY08 New Member

The NMR Feature Show will be handling all the stable allocations so no online bookings will need to be made.

13. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Having known horses that have caught viruses from the SEC stables....due to riders taking sick horses to the grounds...I actually think it may be a good idea in a way.

Yes it will be a pain in the a@# to buy the shavings and then remove (which you can pay a $20.00 cleaning fee for someone else to do)

As said before this hasnt been brought in becoz of the few ridrs that have left dirty stalls....but to bring us into line with health standards over east.
    Wont stop me from competing there....but I am a country competitor and have no other option

14. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

They better not scrap float yards, how hippocritical. I mean, us eventers often have no choice but the humble float yard, but because its the might *sec* we're not allowed to? What a load of bs. Kinda glad I only do the ODe's at Brig and nothing else, this sounds like a headache and a half. It's kinda good that they are trying to bring the standards up, and bringing in your own sawdust/buying it whatever means it's actully sawdust and not just *dust* as previously encountered and that it is actully clean. If it's only a bag of sawdust then that wouldn't be too much of an issue to pull out - but I only have one horse who's happy to stand in the float.

Yeeha, cow girls, lets do us some bucking beasts ;)

15. Spesh

Spesh New Member

ok just read this thread. my understanding is that when we arrive at the SEC we are not allowed to unload any horses until we have allotted stables and have sawdusted them. now is one bag of sawdust enough with horses with studs? i dont even think its enough for a horse without studs. what kind of sized bags of sawdust are we looking at? plus i am not looking forward to having a full load of horses on the back of the truck while we screw around trying to get the stables sorted out full of sawdust etc etc.

while i do have helpers i dont have 10 helpers. - to watch the horses in the truck because i cant unload and tie up - to go to the office and organise the stables - to cart bags of sawdust into the stables - to clean out these stables when leaving and somehow not tie up. - someone to watch the horses back in the truck while they carry on - find some room for the five bags of sawdust and load it up.

this all started as control for EI but now is moving to international standards. make your minds up. i dont think it is a bad idea having cleaning regimes in place but this is just over the top. we pay ground fees to have our stables cleaned now we must pay ground fee plus another 20 bucks PER HORSE if we dont want to clean them out ourselves - hang on - didnt i pay a ground fee?

I do understand that we need to bring the SEC up to a higher standard and that some of this is because people have not cleaned their stables in previous times (i thought that was what the ground fee is for? even though i do clean up before i leave) and to minimise virus and EI -even though horses sneeze and wipe their faces on the walls etc. i honestly do not see how this is going to recoup the SEC's money because i know for one i will not be competing much at the SEC anymore.

16. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I think that the ground fee covered use and upkeep of facilites (eg arenas, ground keeping, ablutions ect) and I am not surprised that they want to put that stable area as a separate entity, considering the massive maintenance involved.

Yes we all had it good and some abused the system. I for one am happy to pay a separate fee for use of stables provided I have some options.
    I am sure that the SEC has not just thought - gee how can we make it as difficult as we can - but rather, we need to put somthing in place to ensure safety and efficiency.
    As with anything new, there will be problems and fine tuning.

17. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

I think there are a lot of people on this thread asking questions and making assumptions that they should really be directing to the SEC itself.
    I think if anyone has any queries about the stables or tying to the float/use of float yards etc they should direct them to the SEC/Equestrian WA to get the most information possible.

18. Topklass

Topklass Well-known Member

I understand the reasons for the changes but it will make life very expensive and a real hastle for those of us that are in the country and showing more than one horse.
    I sincerely hope the Pinto states are not at the SEC in 2009 as we were planning on taking about 8 and that would cost the earth!!!!!!
    As for cleaning the stables, we only had one from about 70 that was left dirty at our last state show, not a bad effort I think. Well done Pinto members.:)*

19. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

ok I havent read all of this thread, but I think we will just have to get over it, or go on strike XD lol. Its not all that new to me as we have to do this with the cattle at the royal show and when taking 10 or so cattle not so easy. The biggest concerne that we have is that your yard is to be checked before you leave, this is to be done by a grounds keeper, what if this is at one of those WASJA days that finish at 2-3am! not to fair on the grounds keeper if you ask me. Or do we just leave?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  20. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

I spoke to the SEC and tying to the float and float yards is still okay!!!! Not sure what the fuss was about :confused: