In here if you intend to compete at the SEC

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Babe, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

I came across the new Rules of Stabling for the SEC,

To me it reads that you have to pay for your own shavings and then cart them away after you have used the stable. Or else you can pay a Cleaning fee of $20.00

Now I dont know if this is just for competitors that are camping there for a night or 2? Or everyone across the board.

Here is the link...what do you think?

http://www.efawa.com.au/site/equest...table and Camping Reservation Procedures.pdf

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Looks like the rules are regardless of how long you stay.

Where are the yards? The only ones I know are down on the SVPC grounds!

3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

It would be the pony club yards.

4. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

The new stable rule is for everyone, whether you are there for one class or two days.

5. BeccaBoo

BeccaBoo Well-known Member

I reckon I'd rather pay the cleaning fee!

6. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Lol, that is the most stupid set of stable rules I have ever seen!!!!

Count me out from using the stables from now on....

Wonder how long those will be in place!?

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Its certainly going to make some very expensive competitions for competitors :(

8. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I went to the meeting about the stable rules last week and yes, they are for everyone. You can use the yards down at the SVPC grounds, and the SEC has undertaken to improve the PA system between there and the polo field, so competitors can actually hear announcements etc.

I personally will be investing in my own piece of stable rubber matting, which I will take to the SEC in lieu of buying shavings and then take home again. I would only buy shavings if I planned to stay overnight (but given that I live 800m from the SEC that ain't gonna happen. :) )

By the way, this does seem a bit of an imposition but the reality is that it costs the SEC a fortune in both $ and staff time to clean out stables (and not do any of their other jobs!). We have had it pretty good at the SEC for years, when you consider that these type of arrangements are par for the course at other State equestrian centres like Werribee and SIEC.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Well welcome to the real world now all horse owners and competitors, it is all of our faults this is now in place. I have been to SEC for many many years and have seen sooooo many competitors drag out the horses and leave stables and walkways in appauling conditions.

We always take our own scoop and rake and make sure it is always left clean. If you compete over east it is a $50 fee if you dont completely clean out the box (shavings included).

What a shame many competitors have abused the system for so long and now it is costing the centre sooo much in wages to pick up your horses manure....

We are very lucky in WA to even have these facilities available, now is the time for us competitors to be hit in the hip pockets.

10. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Thats why i have float yards lol always use them at the SEC unless im staying overnight but i agree with Scorpio so many people dont bother cleaning out their stables.

One time we were there for 2 nights for a weekend event and we had my mare in the stable at night and floatyard for day and dad took out endless supply of poo from her stable in the morning.... more then twice the amount for her normal night time poo so we daresay someone had previously just raked it over!!

11. NorWester

NorWester Well-known Member

so how do i book a stable for Summer Series on 10th.

I cant find a booking form and the website does not do online bookings yet?

12. madcow

madcow Guest

Ummm I won't be using the stables anymore...it just makes it too expensive esp if you are only there for the day. Shame though as it's a good facility.

I know Weribee has the policy where you have to remove EVERYTHING but at least there you just scoop it out into the middle of the laneway until a tractor comes and scoops it all up (looks horrible btw).

Last time I was at SIEC you could leave the bedding in as long as it was spotless.

13. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

I was the stable manager at Werribee three years in a row and this is the way all major Equestrian Centres are going in response to keeping themselves up to an International standard.
    The rubber is an excellent and affordable way to do it and very easy, as well as much less wasteful.

14. kyema

kyema New Member

It's not just the SEC who is having problems with competitors not doing the right thing!!
    I was talking to the guy who removes manure ect from the Royal.
    He told me that two compost depots have refused to take manure from him because of the massive amount of rubbish in the manure.
    A skip is supplied for manure only, people insist on putting everything else in it, too hard to walk to a wheelie for normal rubbish.
    He also said if the place he is using now refuses to take it then there is

NO WHERE ELSE TO GO

What happens then? Do you take your rubbish and manure home with you?
    I don't know what the answer will be but surely it is something we all should think seriously about not just say &^%^%$$# you Jack I'm okay

15. pso

pso Gold Member

hmmm...If they're gunna pay $20 a stable for mucking out...I might go and apply for a job!*#)

I think it is a good decision...I never use the stables, but at least now, I know I will be able to, and they will be clean...;)

16. holistichorse

I agree with PSO, at least now I know the stable will be clean!! In the past, some of the stables have left a little to be desired as far as "clean" goes.

17. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I have seen some people leave their stables in a disgusting state, what's worse is their horses stand in it all weekend.

Its not hard to spend a bit of time picking everything out of the stable, and if you don't have a scoop, ask! I have been more then happy in the past to loan my scoop out to people, and I am sure everyone else would feel the same.

The interschools ran competitions for the cleanest stable over the duration of the event and that seemed to get more people cleaning their stables but you shouldn't need to offer a prize just for people to use common sense (even though the prizes were pretty good cause I won one hehe)

18. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

So, will the ground fee go down for those not using stables now?

How heavy is the rubber matting to carry into the stable?

19. holistichorse

the Ground Service Fee has gone down, and hopefully it may decrease more once they see how the new stable policy is going!!

20. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

That is EXCELLENT! because it is quite expensive to compete at SEC at the moment, and so if it is cheaper provided you do your work it is a good system - rewards those doing the right thing :)

Am interested in the rubber though, we have honeycomb rubber in the float and it is seriously heavy!