Implanon and weight gain

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by JustJam, Jan 23, 2010.

1. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Just wondering if anyone has experienced 'rapid' and 'uncontrollable' weight gain after having Implanon inplanted?

I have been on it about 18 months... one of the 'side effects' was likelihood of reduced periods - sold me!! rofl

It's been awesome - except that I have gained about 15kgs since I started using it! :(

My usual weight now should be around 58 - 59 kgs (mid-life I stacked on a couple of extra so say about 60kgs lol)

When I was pregnant with my second child I went up to 71kgs... and was advised to 'watch my weight!' pppffttt as if! Yummmm... lol

Anyway, lost the preggers weight and went back to my regular weight... till now :(

I eat very little - don't pick or anything during the day and just have a small meal at night (salad and steak or veggies... simple, no salt foods etc). Am active, don't drink yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, my only thought is that it is the Implanon :(

I don't really want to take it out because of the benefits (even moods, lack of period), but...

Any comments/suggestions/experiences?

2. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

Sorry cant really help with advice, but i had the same thing Implanon = weight gain but at the time that was more important than being pregnant **)

3. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

lol nope, never gained any weight when i was on implanon... in fact i lost about 10-15kgs **)

4. Em

Em Well-known Member

I haven't gained any weight on it but man am having other issues with it. Doc said give it 6 months and of cause for me it has only been 3 1/2 months so far, but far out bleeding had better settle down by 6 months because I am over it so far :( First 6 wks was constant, now it is only every two weeks for at least 5 days :( I never majorly had any PMS but now geez watch out the day before....... :( Love the fact that I am not getting pregnant though any time soon :) Hubby is finally starting to realise it might be best for him to take a turn on responsibility for no more kids :)

5. Valencia Park Monty

Valencia Park Monty Well-known Member

I had the same problem as you but i couldnt put up with it and had it taken out about a month and a bit later, it just wouldnt stop! so took it out it just wasnt me :)
    Didnt notice anything else with it though

6. moreHaffies4WA

moreHaffies4WA Well-known Member

ive had implanon for about 3 years or longer now and i cant say it made me gain weight. yes i gained weight, but it was due to leaving my active job for a minesite job with 12 hours sitting down and lots of bad food!
    i also lost 15 kilos in the last 6 months and i am still on implanon havent had it changed or anything in that time so it def cant be it...
    ive never had any problems with it. love it totally, as i dont have periods... i get them once every 4 to 6 months unless i am stressed then i get them as well...

7. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies so far... my, aren't we all different! :} :)

Beutey - just wondering - I get the impression that you have now had it removed (?) If so, when it was removed, did you loose the extra weight or did it stay on?

8. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

When i had it, i stacked the weight on.... :( didnt lose it when i got it taken out either#(#(#( i was contemplating fetting one put back in though... but not tooo sure cos of the weight i gained from it

9. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

hmmm interesting.

i had one in two and a half ish years ago and then developed a seperate medical issue which apparently mostly caused my weight gain from then to now. Was 20kg heavier than before at my heaviest. I have done some research and always felt there was more to it.

due to have it out soon so will see if it helps with my weight loss :)

10. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Yep - stacked it on when I had an implant. Took me nearly 2 years to lose it again,
    Now have a slow progesterone release IUD - BRILLIANT!! No periods, no weight gain, no spots, no sore boobs... Still get PMT tho #(.

11. katelol

katelol Guest

moreHaffies4WA be careful - your implant only lasts 3 years, if you have had it longer than that it won't be working anymore:eek:

Anna E - I tried to get one of those IUD's but no one would do it cos they say you have to already have had a baby. Then I found a place that would do it so when my implanon runs out I will be banging on their door. 5 years of baby proofing and no periods - pick me flapper :)*

A friend of mine got an implanon and straight away had a four week period. Once that finished she never had another or PMT or weight gain, lucky cow. I haven't had any weight gain but I still get all the rest.

12. moreHaffies4WA

moreHaffies4WA Well-known Member

katelol yeh sorry i shoulda said this one is my second one :) so ive got another year left on it now ill i have to have another one :)

13. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

well i have had a few mates on it before and they werent too much of a fan of it...i have been on a plain pill for about 7years now and it is one of those ones with the same colour pill all the way through, brenda or dianne same thing.

well i have just decided to go off the pill for a bit and i have found i have been lossing weight without changing too much i dont excerccise anymore than i did before and i kinda eat the same...my weight use to be 64ish and now i am up n down around 59-60ish....mad but i think the pill does put weight on though from what i gather. i must admit tough i never took the sugar pills i just kept skipping lucky to have had it more than twice a year...:p way too conveinient...

14. Red Country

Red Country New Member