Imperial Floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Arfy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. peppi

peppi Active Member

I love mine and have no complaints...with the float or the service...but...

I work on a weighbridge and discovered the floats tare weights are recorded on the plate, before the inside dividers and prob in my case the back doors etc etc were added...they are tared as an empty shell....so if your pulling/load capacity is a consideration bare in mind they are few KG heavier when your doing the sums...
    Apparently this is a common practice for float manufacturing companies so I would be aware of this fact and dont think anyone should take it as read that whats written on the tare plate is the ACTUAL weight. Even the Aussie built ones....Not just Imperials.

I only found this out as I was trying to weigh my horse and the scale made my lad over 800kg and he isnt a cart horse so I knew something wasnt right...
    So I weighed the float on its own...

2. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

You're right Peppi.
    My 3 horse is 250kg over the weight stated on the plate.

3. peppi

peppi Active Member

I'm assuming you meant your float was 250 over weight..well mine was 300kg that's more than half a horse and definitely all me saddles n stuff that I now shouldn't be carrying in the new front bit meant for all my crap...due to my towing capacity...

4. peppi

peppi Active Member

Sorry just read it again and you mean your 3 horse float dont you...ooops

5. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Wow thats a big amount to be over the tare weight and im sure if people were towing with smaller cars it could be the difference between towing a legal weight or not.
    My float is an Olympic and it weighs what it says on the plate so not all are weighed before they are fitted out.

6. peppi

peppi Active Member

Yes I was a bit cross to say the least as its half a horse weight and a consideration when I was looking at buying. I pull with a car not a 4x4... And legally as you say I can have two horses in it but no stuff in my lovely new tack box as it would put me over weight...

7. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I have just bought a new Imperial and was VERY impressed with their quality and value for $$. The company has changed hands apparently over the last few years and they have really picked up their game on quality control and standards. Lets face it if they were sooooo bad they wouldn't get compliance for importation - remembering that they do arrive here needing some bits attached ect. How many Aussie horse float manufacturers adhere to a standard? How many have to comply with regulations for importation?
    Of course Aussie float companies are going to have their noses out of joint because buyers can get a horse float of comparible quality and durability but at a better price!!

The competition is healthy and means that Aussie companies have to keep their prices "real" and not be trying to rip off buyers. Companies have been hitting horse owners for years because they figure its a niche market and horse owners are either dumb or so rich they don't care. Reality check is that the majority of 'horse loving public' are none of those things....lol

8. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

LOl, Peppi, yes, I meant the 3 horse float was over weight.

There is a legal (insurance if in an accident)issue with it too.
    I think the plate was engraved without consideration that this particular float was to be built with extra height and length, and rubber drops on dividers- all which add up weight wise.

I only found out about the weight when I had to have it weighed to register it#(

Insurance wise (if they found out), fully laden with 3 heavy horses, it is over the recommended towing weight for the vehicle.

There are a several people I know towing substantially over their recommended towing weight. That scares me a bit.

9. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hmmm might get my float weighed at some stage after reading this thread, just out of curiosity :}

10. peppi

peppi Active Member

I should just so you know what your pulling. I work at a local tip, on sundays we have no problem with people using the bridge for weighing caravans and the such like....just for their own information...I should run along to your local tip its worth an ask...we dont charge for people doing that either...

11. peppi

peppi Active Member

Yep I recon your right on there being a few over weight towers about....

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah...... the local tip......hmmm maybe not this one :} It's referred to as a dump and open for all and is more just a paddock where you can dump rubbish and someone tosses a match in every now and then.

Even if I add 300kgs to it's unloaded weight that only takes it up to 1100kgs. Put Kenoath in who at a rough guess is 500 odd kgs, then Snorty, say 400kgs, still leaves me 500kg to play with on the Prado, and 1500kgs to play with with the ute so I think I'm right :))

13. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

I have since been to see the new imperials and chat with the guys down there (I had a lot of questions!) was very tempted to buy a new one but I actually ended up buying a second hand one I found privately. A 2007 double straight load extended with extra height. I?ve had it about a month, used it every weekend, its been great, my horse loves all the extra room. The person I bought it from lost the keys to it so I contacted imperial and they sent me out some new sets of keys free of charge, even tho I hadn?t spent a dime with them, also saying to let them know if I want it serviced etc. So I?m super happy with their great customer service and its nice knowing I?ve got knowledgeable people on my side who could help with it if I need.

14. Staceyb

Staceyb New Member

Just ordered a imperial straight load classic series 2011 run out model. Pick it up this week. Can't wait!!!

15. bootedendurance

bootedendurance New Member

Regardless of if a manufacturer tells you it is 'standard practice' it is still illegal - as per the Australian Design Rules/Regulations:-

12.7 Tare Mass

Tare Mass is the total mass of the trailer when not carrying any load, but when ready for service, unoccupied (if relevant) and with all fluid reservoirs (if fitted) filled to nominal capacity except for fuel, which shall be 10 litres only, and with all standard equipment and any options fitted.

If your float is the over the stated Tare and also if that makes it illegal for you to tow with your vehicle it is in breach of the Consumer Guarantee as well and you have a right to a refund or remedy if it is then unable to serve the purpose which you bought it for... ie to tow horses legally and safely!

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

We bought a new Imperial 2 horse SL extra width earlier this year. On road all up it cost 10K. It does us because we only travel mares to the AI place and it tows well. For the money I think it was exceptional value.

Every other float I priced that has the normal bells & whistles and barn doors (which I think are a must if carting foals) and the closest price was $13,600 plus onroad costs on top.

I couldn't justify spending the extra just to say I bought 'Australian'.....
    Imperial are made using Aussie steel, 1/2 made in China and finished off here and they pass all Aussie standards and rego requirements.

I'm hard pressed working out how other float manufacturers justify the cost of their floats!

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Does anyone know offhand what the 3 horse angle load weighs? I am very tempted to upgrade to a 3 horse but also need to upgrade my car so want to check tow capacities ;)

18. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Taken from the Imperial website for the 3 horse angle load....

Internal Height: 2200mm
    Internal Length: 4350mm
    Internal Width: 1830mm
    External Height: 2300mm
    External Length: 5600mm
    External Width: 2250mm
    Tare: 1240kg

19. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Thanks Naenae87, just wondering what people actually found them to be if the Tare weights given are wrong LOL. Although still sounds like you should be around the 3000kg with my sized horses :)

20. bootedendurance

bootedendurance New Member

Yep I know of two personally - one was 520kg more than stated and the other was over 800kg more than stated.... buyer beware even when buying new!!