Imperial Floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Arfy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a float asap and was wondering if anyone had any knowldege or personal experience regarding Imperial Floats? Thanks,
    Amy :)

2. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I have a double extended imperial. I love it!

Jessie creek are great to deal with.

3. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

We have an Imperial triple angle and love it.

Ditto to Jessie Creek being great to deal with.

4. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Awesome well made floats at a great price. Nicky and Trevor from Jessie Creek are very nice people, they will look after you.

5. Arfy

Arfy Active Member

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you to the people who private messaged me with more critical feedback regarding Imperial Floats. :)

6. shaz71

shaz71 Well-known Member

we have an imperial doubel exteneded and couldnt ask for better, had it over a year now wiht no problems.
    :D

7. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

We have just ordered an Imperial and although many people are AGAINST chinese made floats, we found that the Imperials are made MUCH better than pretty much ALL the Aus made floats. And much cheaper.
    The folks at Jesse Creek are absolutely WONDERFUL to deal with. Couldn't have asked for better :)

8. Seclusion

Seclusion New Member

I am looking at an Imperial as well if anyone wants to PM me with information! Thank you.

9. Lovemyhorse

Lovemyhorse New Member

i must say i havent heard too many good things

but unfortunately in this forum it is diffiuclt to say too much

i am aware that some people who have a strong engineering background have looked at the imperial and have expressed some concerns

yet im sure there are otehrs who love them

my concern is that whatever the criticism or compliments -

they ahvent been here long enough to prove themselves

and for mine they werent that much cheaper than an australian made one - that has been in business for more than ten years

i worry what will work or not work in 2 or 3 years

will they last!!!

10. Ciderlover

Ciderlover Active Member

Agree totally! and its also like the imported cars......buying parts are either really expensive or hard to come by.

11. Anna E

Anna E Guest

OH who is a metalworker/fabricator/teacher of how to make things in metal had a look underneath one and expressed concern regarding the strength of the construction and the possible flexion in the frame. That said he was the same about all the imported floats and we ended up with an ancient Kalpakoff that is being totally rebuilt because that was the only one where he liked the suspension and the build under the floor...

12. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

We have one and love it. Appear to be better made than many other models we looked at and so far has just been wonderful.

Haven't heard any complaints about them before this thread. :)

13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

We looked at these, had to for the price.

I will say I thought they were value for money if you considered you were getting what you paid for.

I 'extensively' asked questions and trawled forums looking for PROOF that things went wrong with them because of all the negative feedback.

You know, I could NOT find ONE person to say - yes it happened to me. Not, "I know someone who" or "I heard that..." "someone told me" ect ect.

I welcome the person that tells me "I had this go wrong".

Every person I spoke with that actually HAS one - loves it.

The problems with proof related to Aussie made ones, rust, poor workmanship, ect.

Now I realise that the Imperials have not been around for very long but I think it is unrealistic to think they are not here to stay.

Incidentally, they are on the ball for service and communication. Which puts them WAY ahead of many aussie builders.
    I emailed more than a dozen major float builders and recieved a bare five replies, two of which were four weeks after original email.
    One of the agents here was a nightmare to deal with and I would not touch anything of his with a barge pole, aussie or not.

So keep an open mind, and also keep in mind how much stuff we actually do use that chinese made. Not sure why you would make the stand with just floats.

..and no, I didnt end up with one...found somthing else that suited....

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  14. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

nearly 3 yrs ago I went on the float hunt. Like most only reason I went to been around proven float. 3 yrs on Immpeial are proving they are going to stick around that is a good thing. There are now 3 up this way not sure RP brought I think she was looking at Imperial too so could be 4 up here now.

Ive seen one from each year with models change to suit demand and need.

I just personally dont like the float itself but they have great customer service. Our trainer friend up the road had something go wrong with a axel or wheel and they were on to the job straight away and replaced the item for him.

A friend just came back with a 3 horse Imperial she will be helping us cart what we dont fit on our float race days lol

Had a squiz inside when she pulled up out front. They modified the rear door pin for her to match my float the last bay in the float (my float another brand all together)

Im still reserved on them but I give everything a fair go. They wont get a much tougher enviroment to test the floats out than here. driving down corrotgated roads to get to stables really tests pop rivets and sheeting out. Will all get many km's on them lol Have a varity of horses on board to really test them out.

Only time will tell if they with stand the condition.

15. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

interested to read they have a fully galvanised frame! including drawbar!

16. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Well said :)***)

17. Eventer4Ever

Well from what I've heard... Most of the people who don't like them, seem to have never have looked at them, or not properly.

My dad is an experienced engineer and was very strict on things when it came to safety. When we went to look at the Imperials, we found that they have two types of bases underneath (something to do with he different types of suspension (torsion or rock'n'roller)).. The torsion suspension does have a floor that my dad worried about, it looked as if it had quite a weak floor however he also looked at the rock'n'roller and it has a MUCH stronger base. So in reply to Anna E's post about the base, I think they have just recently brought out the rock'n'roller base which has a stronger floor.

My dad was also totally for the Fully Galvanised as he is wanting to buy us something that will last rather than just rust away. And yes it is true. It's all fully galvanised lol

Although Imperial haven't been around for long, they are improving rapidly. Only about 5 months ago my mum and dad went to look at them for the first time and boy they didn't look great at all but in our recent visit, they have improved massively just from the comments that their customer's have made. Imperial are willing to listen and improve their floats, which is more than I can say about most of the Aus made floats.
    But JMO so don't eat me. lol

18. horsegirlmel

horsegirlmel New Member

my OH is a welder of many years experience

and he looked at the imperial and could not beleive that they were getting approval to be licenced!!

so we bought an australian made flaot

i just think there is too much risk with your horse

why try and save a few dollars and potentially risk their welfare

what disappoints me is that they do not advertise the floats are made in china

we drove over 3 hours to look at them and it wasnt until OH looked underneath them that he asked the question

if its not a drama - why dont they advertise made in china - i thought on most products yuo have to say where they are made????

i think as someone else said on here - lets see how they are holding up in 3 or 5 years

it will be very interesting

19. Eventer4Ever

Horsegirlmel - when did you look at these floats??

20. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

arent some of teh "aussie' brands also partially or fully made in china? they dont advertise that.

I dont really see the problem of where they are made, provided they are well tested and do the job safely. I would look at them (but have vowed not to buy a new float till i know how big my horse will get!)