Imperial Float Tyre wear

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Dusty Road, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I have an imperial float that is about a year old. I have probably done less than 15,000km with it but my front tyres are almost bald, especially on the inside. Has anyone else had this problem? It is booked in for a service this week, so will ask Trevor about it, but it still has me a little worried.

2. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

We've had ours for 5 years or so and only ever had that issue when we'd obviously hit something somehow (Rim damage) and basically bent the axle stub.
    Have had that tyre/rim/stub replaced and everything else is good.

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I drive about 200kms a week with mine, it's over two years old and only lost half our tread (pretty evenly) but most of our kms are freeway ones. Do you drive a lot on gravel or rough surfaces? Is your alignment ok? Your tyres all the same pressure?

4. Dusty Road

Thanks for the info guys. I have probably done about 500km on gravel but not on rough gravel roads. I guess I will wait and see what Trevor comes back with after the service. I have had a few niggling problems with it, so hopefully will be back to normal in no time.

I am relieved to know that this is not going to be something I have to deal with all the time
    though.

5. Dusty Road

So Trevor has told me the wear on my tyres is normal. I would have thought I would get more than 15000km out of a set of tyres. I'm not impressed, they cost more then our 4wd and don't last as long.

6. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

What sort of tyres do you have on, we have Light Truck tyres (bridgestone I think)on both our float and caravan

- the float ones we did have issues with but that is because of issue with axle (has got better after some slight adjustment), but we would have still done pretty close to what you have without them needing replacing.

The ones on the caravan have been on for nearly 8 yrs and for 7 of those years we have done a trip of a either up to Darwin or Sunshine coast and one over to Perth so would be at least 5000km/year for 7yrs = 35,000 and they still have enough tread to be legal. (we will change soon just because of the length of time they have been on.

Have you asked at a tyre dealership how much they would expect you to get out of them.

7. Dusty Road

The tyre shop has told me they have not worn normally and there must be some axel damage. I'll wait for Trevor to finish the service and hope he comes back and says there is a problem.

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

You should be getting 50,000 k's at the very least out of a set of tyres on a float, even cheapie tyres. Something is definitely wrong - especially when the wear is all on one side of the tyre! (Alignment problem).

As an example, our horse truck has done 75,000 k's, it.s 13 years old and is still on its original tyres. Our F250 gets 80,000 km's out of a set of Bridgestone Duelers.

Our Imperial is only fairly new, it hasnt done that many k's yet, but thanks for the heads-up, Ill be keeping a close eye on its tyres!!

Trailer tyres of any sort (whether its a float, caravan, garden trailer etc) dont wear as fast as tyres that are on the drive axle. Because they are simply 'rolling', not 'pushing (driving) the tyre.
    Its the same reason why on your car your back tyres will wear out faster than your front tyres (if you have a rear wheel drive!! - and the reverse is true if you have a front wheel drive.) This is why its important to rotate your car tyres.........but I digress....!!

I would not be accepting any 'oh thats normal' sort of talk from your float man!!!
    Good luck and let us know what he says :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. Dusty Road

So float man has admitted that the tyres they
    put on the float when it rolls out of the factory are cheap and nasty. He has gone over the float and given it a good service for free. He has also said to keep an eye on it and if I have any further problems to let him know and he will replace my float free of charge.

He has said there is no axel damage but if there is anything wrong it would be that the jig used when the float was built could have not been put together properly and there could be a slight angle in something. BUT he doubts this is the case, however if there are further issues he will replace the whole float. So I can't complain about that really at all.

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah wayyyyyy not good/normal. I've done at least 20 000kms with my float on various roads and there's 4/5ths of stuff all sign of wear.

Glad to hear they are sorting it out though. Bit worrying :unsure: and a timely reminder to all to keep an eye on these sorts of things.

11. Blackbat

What about the existing worn tyres DR? Replaced, rotated, or left to wait n see?

12. Dusty Road

I have replaced the worn tyres, there was no way I was driving 1200km home with them in the condition they were in.

Trevor has told me he will replace the tyres if in fact there does end up being a problem with the float.

His after sales service is fabulous, so I can't complain about that. He did not charge me for the service on the float despite the fact that he replaced a few bits and pieces.

13. Blackbat

He has a two year warranty on floats which covers any bits that need replacing, and your first service is free. It is good to know when you buy a new float, and he seems to feed back to the manufacturers a fair bit to improve future floats. But it sounds like the tyres aren't covered, like in a new car, unless of course the float has an axle problem which should be covered by the 5 year structural warranty.

We will wait and see along with you.

14. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

Interesting, When I bought my imperial I got told by trevor that the tyres are included in the 2 year warranty, ie if they are worn below legal limit he will replace them. My float is now 2.5 years old, I used my float couple of times a week and I still have stacks of wear left on my tyres and all the wear is even. so for yours to have worn out that quickly, it def shows you there is a prob somewhere

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

This made me drag out my warranty from Jesse Creek as well, mine says verbatim "The warranty is 2 years and there are no conditions so that means the entire float is covered however this does not include accident damage or damage as a result of the horses actions"

To me this sounds like it should cover the tyres...especially since they arent wearing evenly - indicating a problem?

16. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Cheap and nasty isn't always bad, the rubber is often harder which equates to more km needing to be done to wear the tyre down (however, they arent the best in the wet). Inside tyre wear is indicative of an alignment issue, I would be getting a wheel alignment done.

17. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

yes I think if the warranty says it covers everything I would be asking for reimbursement of the new tyres, obviously there is an issue with alignment as everyone has said, they shouldn't wear like that in that time frame, Trevor is probably a lovely man but why should you be out of pocket?....he will simply claim it back from the factory anyway.......I would insist if it were me :)