Ifor Williams floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by PrettyPonyy, Apr 25, 2013.

1. PrettyPonyy

PrettyPonyy New Member

Does anyone have one of these floats? How do you find them?

I'm looking at buying my first float, looking for a floats with fairly big bays and plenty of head room, was looking at a two horse angle, as my horse goes best in an angle load, but all that i've seen have very narrow bays. So, now i've come across Ifor williams floats, they look nice and big and roomy and are also well priced and light (my car will only tow 2300kgs) So the Ifors seem a good option.

Also, i have around 10k to spend, maybe upto 15k for the perfect float

Any comments, advice, would be appreciated :)

Thanks guys
  2. myst

myst Active Member

Bluefilelds Stud have had one for a few years and seem happy with it. You could ring JJ and ask him.:))
  3. Katsin

Katsin Active Member

I've had my Ifor Williams float for 4 years and for the most part love it. It takes 16.1 hh sporthorse and my Arabians very easily and is great for teaching babies to float as it has heaps of room and is very light. I love being able to walk them right through as it gives them lots of confidence.

It tows really well and is easy to hitch, clean etc.

On the down side the head divider attachments provided are a bit wobbly and I had to get them welded a couple of times. I do have to travel on a fair bit of rough gravel. It also took some time to get the ventilation right on the gravel so I didn't end up with pink horses going to shows (thanks to Arnie). I would also like to have a bit more padding on the inside but this might just be me wanting comfort as the horses do not seem to mind.

It may not be the prettiest float but it does the job nicely.
  4. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I personally love them. My friend has a five pony trailer. Only thing I didn't like was unloading my 16hh gelding as he tends to have his head up coming out, but one knock to the noggin and they learn ;) will look at getting a five pony trailer when I have more ponies!
  5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

yes he might learn by a knock on his noggin.

Or he might end up at the vets with his noggin split open like the terrible pics I just saw on another site!!

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

Well after yesterday I love our Ifor Williams float even more.

Driving to Perth yesterday Skye managed to get her head under the front bar and managed to shift the whole inside of the float a foot further forward. Now Skye is normally a pain to float as she stamps so it was a few out of the ordinary stamps that we pulled over to check on her.

Even though she has moved the center pole out and forward the Bays still remained in shape and she was fine and apart from a small chunk of hair missing off her face.

We (ok Mum) managed to undo the back bars with the tool from the outside and I able to back her out in a layby next to the highway.

We were lucky a nice man (who turned out to be a farrier) stopped to give us a hand but if he hadn't we would have still been able to fix the float back up by undoing it from the outside and then doing them all back up.

Was able to then load Skye back into the float. Tie her head up so she couldn't undo it and shorten the bay so that she couldn't manage it again.

I am sure that in a standard float with would have been a major issue if she had gotten herself stuck and would have taken more than 3 people.

I would recommend getting the front ramp on the left rather than the right though so it is easier to remove the taller horse.
  7. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

This is very true NG. Most horses don't tend to rip their heads up when unloading though as they walk forwards.
  8. macklin dramero

macklin dramero New Member

Great float but not legal in Australia to tow two big horses as they haven't got electronic breaks, not sure how much it would take to rectify this problem, but if it wasn't the people selling them would probably have them fitted.
  9. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

What legislation are you quoting that says its illegal to tow an Ifor with two big horses without electric brakes?

The WA Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002, which specifies requirements for braking systems on trailers, says nothing of the sort. ADR 38/02 doesn't insist on electric brakes either.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  10. PrettyPonyy

PrettyPonyy New Member

Thanks for all the feedback, i will be going to have a good look at these floats in the coming weeks :)

As to the brakes, i believe it is only licensed to 2000kg, and 2600kg in the uk, because of the laws here, but seeing as it will only be used for one horse it isnt an issue for me. And the float only weighs just over 900, so could still take two fairly large horses no worries. Otherwise, fitting electric brakes and a breakaway system would be the go, not too hard i've been told, but apparently also pretty unnecessary too.
  11. macklin dramero

What you need to do if you have two big horses is to get them weighed prior to purchasing the trailer, make sure that you include all the stuff that you would normally take to a show with you including water.
    I would have no hesitations in buying another I for Williams trailer because I like the front unload option, the only thing I am not sure about is the fact the sides used to fade in the UK after a few years so not sure what the harsh Australian sun would do to them after a few years.
    Mechanically and structurally they are 100 better than most of the China imports. I have spoken to a few float manufactures and they spend a lot of time fixing imports rather than making new floats.
  12. Archie

Archie Active Member

I have an ifor Williams float and love it. They are safe, easy and lovely to tow. They won't rust and have so many safety features. It is legal to tow two big horses. They also have the breakaway safety brakes. Best floats ever IMHO **)
  13. beau

beau Well-known Member

Love our Ifor, its fantastic for training the youngsters, lots of room for mare and foals, and nice and roomy inside for even our biggest horses. We have the extended height and length one. Would def buy another.
  14. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

What do they cost new, say for a standard 2 horse straight load? And can float yard panels be hung from the sides?

I had a look at an angle load at a show a while back and was impressed, I liked that it could be adjusted from 2 horse to 3 pony. That would be my other option I think rather than a 2 horse straight.
  15. macklin dramero

Sorry Archie it depends how big your horses are Australian Standards are different than the UK so don't go off the UK specs, if you check with the Australian dealerships and they will be honest with you. Just because they can fit two 17hh horses in doesn't mean that its legal, you can run the risk but if you have an accident don't be surprised if your insurance company doesn't pay out.
  16. macklin dramero

Approx weights

Dartmoor pony 112 cm (11 hh) 140 cm 200-250 kg
    New Forrest 142 cm (14 hh) 165 cm 350-450 kg
    Arab 142 cm (14 hh) 170 cm 400-500 kg
    Thoroughbred 163 cm (16 hh) 190 cm 500-550 kg
    Warmblood 173 cm (17 hh) 205 cm 580-640 kg
    Shire 183 cm (18 hh) 210 cm 700-800 kg
  17. madison

madison Well-known Member

There is a lot of floats out there both new and secondhand that aren't legal to tow 2 big horses because of the weight of the float empty so when you add the horses the whole package goes overweight for the suspension and the hitch but that isn't the manufacturers fault it's the fault of the purchaser for not doing their homework before buying, and don't get me started on the cars people tow them with ';'
  18. Archie

Archie Active Member

Does it not depend on what your car is? And what it is rated to tow?:confused:
  19. macklin dramero

The loaded mass of the trailer must not exceed the lesser of: Rated capacity of the towbar and tow coupling. Maximum towing capacity of the vehicle. Maximum carrying capacity of the trailer. Maximum rated carrying capacity of the tyres.

If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is: One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or the unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer does not require brakes.

Vehicles with a manufacturer?s gross combination mass (GCM) more than 4.5 tonne may tow in accordance with the above requirements.The GCM is the gross combination mass of the car and loaded Horse Float.

Once again we recommend that if you are in any doubt to contact your manufacturer or retailer of your horse float and discuss any concerns you may have.

The minimum braking system for a float depends on the type of Horse Float, its weight and the weight of the vehicle: 0 ? 750 kg loaded weight ? no brakes required. 751 ? 2000 kg loaded weight ? braking on both wheels on at least one axle. 2001- 4500 kg loaded weight ? braking on all wheels, and an automatic breakaway system in case the trailer becomes detached from the vehicle. Brakes must be operable from the driver?s seating position.
  20. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Yes, over 750kg they must have brakes on the wheels... but they DONT have to be electric brakes. They could be hydraulic brakes.