iFor Williams floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Bon & Ted, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I agree Zaza, as I said earlier, the front ramp is not a deal breaker at all, but it is verrry handy!.

Mine both back off a float perfectly fine, and it's something that all horses should be taught regardless!

And Anna E, good point, that is another handy thing about the front ramp, if I need my non horsey OH or mum to unload for me then it's really easy for them to do it safely!

2. beau

beau Well-known Member

Whoo hoo a float thread I can actually reply too:)

This will be long so bear with me:)

Yep I have one and love it to death, have a normal float as well.

When we went looking for a float we had trouble finding anything that was wide and tall enough, daughters warmblood is nearly 18hh and everything else around here is over 16hh. The only thing we could find was to get a tripple and make it into a double and the cost was so expensive.

Our one is extra height, and extended. To be honest I would rather the safety of the horse than all the bells and whistles that go with other floats.

These floats are fantastic for training as well as the troubled floater, as you can take everything apart inside, open up the front ramp and then gradually rebuild as the horse or babies get their confidence.

We had an extra bracket put on for the chest bars back and front, so there are three heights and lengths for us this caters for all sizes. We also bought the straight bars that go all the way across the front and back, fantastic for when travelling mares and foals.

Also god forbid there was an accident you can release the bars from the outside so you do not have to put yourself at risk inside the float.

The room inside the front on the extended is huge, and I have one of their tack boxes on wheels that take two saddles and bridles and still have room.

These floats are bright and airy, can travel horses with rugs and no sweating. They are light to tow and have plenty of room at the front tow section. They dont rust, easy to clean.

The only thing I have found with the stallion grid was that the design was missing an anchor point at the back, but we have just fitted another rubber and its fine now.

Parts and extras are dead easy to get.

So yep I love it and would get another in a heart beat. If you want to know anything else happy to help.

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

thanks beau, that's helped heaps!

Yep I'd rather a SAFE float that won't rust!! They do look very inviting for the horse, esp with the open front, for claustrophic horses they would be handy to float train!

Gosh I wish I could get it now!

I am so sold!

4. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

J who we got Edward off has one I believe (am I right CD??). Lovely float, well made, sure it's not especially pretty on the outside but who cares about that when you have a well made, SAFE float? Edward liked it (although he likes any light, open and airy float) and they didn't have any issues with unloading. Backing off the average float, Edward will get so far and then turn around.

I've heard plenty of good things about them. I think by choice I would most likely get one but not actually having towed any floats (being too young to drive) I wouldn't know what's good or bad to tow. Horses seem to like the Ifor Williams, that's for sure.

5. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Yeahp, That's right Shandeh :)
    I love J's one.
    Clean and dry to sleep in as well :)

6. uno

uno Guest

Personally..would not touch one with a barge pole!. I have seen to many accidents involving them turning over on the motorway(uk fwy),flipping over when turning corners ect.. in all weather conditions. they are to lightweight and the new ones seem very tall in comparison to the width of them. If anyuthing I would buy a RICE trailer, they are fabulous.JMO

7. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

wow uno, that's really interesting.
    *goes off to see if google can russle up some stories*
    you have me intrigued now! :eek:

8. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

Would not buy anything else. They have legalised standards for the building and construction of horse floats in the UK, I don't believe we have any here in Aus, hence the proliferation of china-flat-pack and dodgy home jobs. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

HOWEVER 'china-flat-pack' floats can also be good quality themselves. There is nothing wrong with it.
    I assure you I wouldn't of spent the money I did on a peice of #(.

I believe most floats sold in Australia are great quality and most now a days are being made with excellent safety features.
    Just because something is made in Australia or UK does not gaurentee quality. I believe the float I bought to be great quality.

Because you buy one type of float does not mean their the best out there. The selection is huge and finally when it comes down to it, it comes to the persons preference and taste (aswell as what they see as more safety features) and $$$.

I adore alot of other brand floats out there I wish I could of bought and always speak highly of them even though I'd love to see more of the brand I bought out there (and their selling like hot cakes ;) ). I don't think its fair to disregard every other float in Aus as bad quality because you think one is the bomb of them all ;).

iFor Williams do look like good floats, I would never own one personally but people who own them do speak highly of them. But becareful because Stockyard advertisers are either 'china-flat-packs' or Aussie made!

10. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Well said Arnie :)***)

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I absolutely agree with you Arnie, don't get me wrong.

But for ME if I was offered a car made in the UK, or a car made in China and assembled here - I would absolutely get the one made in the UK. Just a personal thing.

I do like the Imperials alot, and my baby horse was put in a friends at the start of the year for a vet trip, and she has NEVER EVER travelled better than that, it was awesome.

BUT, for the same price, I can get one that's made in the UK, and alot bigger for my fat arse horse! it just seems better value for money. The extended Imperial bay length is 1.8m. The extended Ifor bay length is over 2.05m ;) The Ifor is also aluminium, the Imperial is only Zincalume steel (sp??).

But yes, I do like the Imperial alot, just the Ifor suits my needs better **)

12. pso

pso Gold Member

From my enquiries, I understood imperials are made in china and shipped in containers (thats why they arent able to do higher than 2.20)...not flat packs assembled here? Davcars from the same supplier are assembled here?

13. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

I know that imperials deffinately come complete in sea containers cause I have helped unload a couple long time ago tho back when the first started getting them in.

14. Paddys_mum

Paddys_mum New Member

love it

we bought the BIG ifor last year to travel to Interschools nationals. Towed like a dream, had 2 ponies and a heap of gear going over and 3 ponies and all the same gear coming back.

The ponies loved it. Could travel them untied so they got to eat and drink all the way. We have had all sorts of different horses on board and all have travelled calmly and without fuss, even the nutcase rearer.

I shift the dividers in it so i have a 'stable' to prepare youngsters at shows where i am worried about them tying up. Also if it is stinking hot/pouring rain at ODE's.

Great to tow, LOVE the spring tailgate. Can fix it with a hammer and a shifter.

We added stainless steel u brackets (yacht fittings) to the outside so we have tie up points. Apparently the no external tie-up points is a UK insurance thing?

15. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

OK I got to check out an iforWilliams on the weekend.

Loved the floor and ramps, but was not impressed with the padding on the walls.

No tie points on the outside. Would have thought these would come standard.

Loved the camera's, though apparently the reversing one is not very good, unless you want to make sure you dont run over the dog.

They were having issues reversing in sand as well. Whether they hadnt figured out how to over ride the electric brakes or whether that was a permenant problem I dont know (I dont know much about electric brakes)

Its a nice float, but missing some of the features I would like to see.

Oh and I was right, there is a massive load of room that is used up by the front ramp so you have to get it really extended to have any storage space.

As to UK built Vs China built......

I have a landdrover, very expensive to fix and plays up all the time. A gas guzzler too even though its diesel. My little Mazda MX-5 (rest in peace my beautiful blue baby) was cheap to run and to fix.

16. eamon1

eamon1 New Member

Ifor Williams -NSW

Just to say for those in NSW and Victoria, East Coast Trailers http://www.eastcoasttrailers.com.au are now selling the Ifor Williams floats. Go and see for yourself how safe, sturdy and easy to use they are. The Cavello horse magazine voted the HB 506 the best made horse float in Europe (Nov. 2009). This was by readers votes, making it a supreme float. Thousands of UK owners cannot be wrong in why they purchased theirs. The new floats come in very competitively priced (including extras) against all other Australian made floats. It makes a lot of sense to purchase safety but also a wise investment as their resale value is superb unlike a lot of other known floats.

17. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

If you are going to come on and blantantly advertise, then at least address some of the issues that posters have noted with the ifor Williams floats.

18. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

The resale value of the Olympic floats is also 'superb'. I sold my old Olympic for $5,500. I had bought it several years earlier for $2,800!! I only sold it to buy a new one....super floats!

I personally dont like the look of the Ifor Williams, but each to their own.;)

19. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

I am not arguing that all aussie made or flat pack imported floats are of poor quality. I was simply stating that the UK has legislated standards in regards to the manufacture of trailer for transporting animals. As far as I know, there are no similar legal standards here that manufacturers are legally obliged to adhere to. I'm sure there are floats here that meet these standards as well as the Ifor Williams, but not sure how one would find this out, not being an engineer type... that's what legislated standards are there for.

20. eamon1

eamon1 New Member

Lets not throd on toes but, I think you will find that the thread is Ifor Williams floats . I have not mentioned price, nor sale, nor phone numbers, nor address. Just the people selling and their web address. In respect to addressing issue's, I believe the other posters have done a fantastic job of this, and in particular Beau, Arnie and Shandeh. Their is no issue withhaving to park at an angle to allow your horse tpo unload, it is easy as the ramp is ideally positioned and the short draw bar does not make any difference as the 'A' frame has been designed with safety in use. With respect to 'UNO's comments - I have to say,
    , completely unsupportive and nonsense. The Ifor Williams trailers did not acheive stature of safest horse float in Europe for no good reason. It simply is built to last and to protect both the horse and the groom in all aspects. Why do Ifor owners keep going back again and again.
    I hope this clarifies your dis-taste too my last post.....:))