iFor Williams floats

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Bon & Ted, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

now I'm looking into these ones.

Have to say I was pretty surprised with the price! More than reasonable thats for sure!

Are there any issues with them?

Have to say I'm not overly fussed about the front ramp, I kind of think it could be dangerous if horse jumps/falls beween car and ramp, so I guess you would have to park with the car at a bit of an angle away from the right hand side of the car if that makes sense.

I like the size and quality. I'm not 100% on how short the drawbar is - does this cause travelling/load distribution issues? or just makes reversing harder?

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I always question what would happen if a horse takes fright and knows it can get out the front so attempts to go over the chest bar?

Or then like some horses that shoot backwards you get horses that barge out the front?

I have also seen horses come out and smack their hips quite hard on the float.

Then again, people that have them love them!

I don't think their very pretty though :p.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

Love them- would buy one over anything else available locally :)

Arnie- probably the same thing as horses that get a fright and try to jump thru the big front window...If they want to jump- they will anyway, whether there is an escape route or not ;)

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

So it is. But could there be an increase in the amount of horses trying to get through then with a float where they only back out?

5. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I was looking at the iwilliams. The only issue I have with the front ramp is that it basically cuts down storage space as I see it. It isnt necessary.

6. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

That is a concern of mine about the front ramp also. BUT it's not really much different to wanting to rush out of the back is it. I generally float mine with "seatbelts" anyway so they can't get over ;)

If I end up getting one (which I think I will!) I would not ever load an already pushy horse out of the front. Jingles would be fine as she is quiet, sensible and respectful. Sienna on the other hand has got the tendenancy to be pushy so she would go out the back.

I think it would suit me for towing alone, I always get worried unloading 2 horses normally without any help. This way I could unload one out the front while the other waits, then unload the young idiot out the back...

Showed my mech brother, and hes a big fan, likes the idea it is constructed in the UK - reckons apart from Germany they have the best welding standards :confused:

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Sounds great B&T goodluck! :D! Let us know how you go!

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

will definitely be waiting a few months, tax return time first LOL.

Got to sort out my saddle caper atm anyway!

gives me time to decide on silver or grey LOL

9. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

I only ever used Ifor Williams in the UK and never had any trouble - nor did I ever hear of anybody having trouble with the front ramp ;)

What was interesting when I went back at Christmas was the fibreglass type seemed to have taken over (I wasn't looking too hard though).

10. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

PM Beau she has one and loves it.

11. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

i have an ifor and LOVE it,
    mum says its light to tow and never had an issue with it.
    the front ramp, is fine doesnt take up room because if you didnt have the ramp - it would just be a plain wall. also a friends bought an ifor as her horse has trouble going backwards and ends up hitting her head on the the roof.

also the only regret we have now is not getting the ramp on the left hand side of the float, and the door on the right, as its a tight turn for the horse to get off if its big, munchie and skye just fit through nicely and skye is about 15/15.1hh :)

def worth having a look at them before you make up your mind xD

12. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

love it love it love did i mention i love it?:D

best thing since sliced bread for libby. she would always turn while backing off and walk down the ramp face first. try and stop her and she get nervy. slipped and stepped all over her feet.

mums silly tb goes out the back because doesnt like the front but only horse i know not to.

skye finds it fine except now ive realised she actually doesnt understand how to back off the float so we have been practicing.
    storage wise we have a big tack box in the front with no dramas.

we have the red one i always wanted the red one

13. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

I'm kinda interested in these aswell :D Hey Bon, do you think you could pm me a rough price and weights if you have them? :)

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

ooh good point about the tight turn thing! Jingles is a bit umm...curvy so I can see how it could be difficult, BUT then the access door is on the roadside not the curb :/

I too like the red, but car is blue and don't know what colour we'll have in the future!

will pm you :)

15. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

Ifor one haven't seen one.....tehehehe

16. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I don't have an Ifor Wiliams (would love to be able to afford it!) but we converted ours to a front unload and we LOVE it. I'm from the UK where such things are more the norm.
    I find it much easier than the rear unload and like others, floating and unloading 2 on your own is way easier. I can get a 15.2 Standardbred off the driver's side (the front unload is on the right) and a chubby 15.1 Arab X off the left side with no problems. Mine is a step down not a ramp and still no issues - in fact the step tends to slow them down.
    I have now floated a number of nervous nellies on my float and find they are much LESS inclined to panic/rush/barge because when you open the front they can see what is going on outside and see where they are going, so they don't tend to rush so much/try and turn/barge through you so they can get a LOOK at where they are. As you say with a pushy pony you can still go off the back but I find that pushiness is often due to nerves, and anyway it's easier to stop the front end running over you then the back end when you're standing behind them! I do tend to park on an angle though to allow plenty of space at the front.
    Also when you have a novice handler like my OH, there's no possibility of someone undoing a bum bar before the horse is untied and so on and so forth.
    Wouldn't go back to a rear unload, EVER.

17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I wouldn't get anything BUT an Ifor if I had the funds for one.
    All the guys at the trucky yard where my uncle works get ever so excited when any Ifor trailer goes through there, as they love to see how they are all put together and built etc.
    My friends have the large one, the one where they can fit three horses and two ponies in it comfortably.
    Walking off the front is fine, as it come out straight from the horse box itself, and not on an angle, but either way, on the average Ifor horsebox, the horses don't end up bashing into the car :) As long as your horse learns how to walk out the float properly, I can't see an issue with them bashing their hips, but then tall horses do have to duck slightly to exit the large trailer mentioned above.
    I love them.

18. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

I bought one before i moved to Vic, love it . I have the standard model and it fits my 17hand giant in fine. I do not use the front off ramp. If your going to buy one get the off ramp made on the left as it will give the horse more room to move when loading off from the right hand side.

It is the best ever float i have towed, the rubber on the floor is second 2 none, sits great on my falcon and being a larger float does not weigh as much due to the ali floor. You will not ever have a horse slip even when wet unlike all other floats. I have come from owning an Olympic and then a Tender Deluxe which i loved

I also bought the tack box on wheels which fits 2 saddles in and added a centre divider which was $120 extra heaps and heaps of headroom. Only thing is that i have had to put another tie up point to hang a haybag which was not a issue.

19. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

thanks guys!

I know what you mean CD, my brother looked at the pics and just went "whoa, that is the float you are getting" I intend on having it for a very long time, so I'm thinking it's worth spending the extra 1K and get the bigger one, just incase I ever own a giant bigger than Jingles (god I hope not). *#) but you never know, I never intended to end up with a horse Jingles' size!

And will definitely wait to get the left hand side ramp. Just makes more sense for a big horse!

Still cheaper than the Imperial, and made and assembled in the UK, instead of flat packed in China! - can't complain about that!

Just need to save a few more $$ now. But I'm very excited to find the exact float that I've been after!

20. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I've heard they're well constructed and sturdy, but they're a little bit basic inside for my liking.
    I like my floats to be well padded and have more window than what the IFor's have got.
    (I'm sure my horses aren't fussed about the padding but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing it's there :p)
    I had the opportunity to have a look at one recently and what suprised me the most with them was the weight of them.
    For some reason I had it in my head that they were lighter ?
    I could take or leave the front ramp though. IMO it's not necessary. All horses are capable of walking backwards ;)

Good luck with your purchase B&T. Shopping for a new float is exciting :))