If YOU were a pro trainer what would you do ??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Brew, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hells bells what a situation!

Looking forward to reading the rest of the story :)

2. Halligan

Halligan Well-known Member

BRew you've always got awesome stories, think you need to put more threads like this up :)*

3. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Oh my frigging God!

Hats off to you Brew. Def waitin for a good ending with this horse and you too, for that matter.

Back to the 70k bit, I have seen that done before. Just wish I could sell these people a nice little bridge.....

Ditto Halligan **)

4. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

No praise for me I'm afraid - I was the one stuck in a stupid situation !! When you are breaking and training money is never plentyfull and when a client does not pay it hurts on two fronts because not only have you lost the income but you are feeding a horse that is taking up space that you need for the next horse !!
    In a lose - lose situation I decided to attempt to correct this horse so that I could at least sell it to recoup costs and get it off the property.
    The horse is still yarded because it can't be trusted yet so it is time to teach it to lunge. Leading to the round yard was done with a lead horse and several people but was uneventfull. As soon as the gate was closed on the rounyard this horse went balistic !!!!! He took off at 100km's an hour and nothing would stop him - in panic because I thought he was going to kill himself i jumped in front of him - really stupid - he jumped me and the roundyard rails (over 2m high) and went straight through 2 wire fences and bolted down the road and out onto a main road in heavy traffic. As it was a Friday afternoon folks were a little peeved to say the least !!Somehow nobody ran into him but the Police turned up and closed the road. For nearly an hour a large mob of people tried to catch this horse to no avail. For reasons only the horse could know he took off home and parked himself in his yard - To my cost he went in a straight line and took out a couple more fences and two sides of my arena !! The police wanted to charge me but I don't think they could decide what to charge me with !!!
    The poor old horse was an emotional wreck but in spite of his fence wrecking had only a couple of minor cuts but his legs took a pounding.The cost of this horse now included a lot of fence repairs !!
    For the first time ever I used drugs on this horse because he was in deep trouble and so was I .The drugs allowed me to handle him without the huge stress - you could see him getting more and more up tight untill he would explode.
    It was not possible to work this horse in a round yard even sedated but he was not too bad on a line in the arena. I started a routine where I brought him out several times a day for a few mins on each rein and the improvement was huge. This step went on for a couple of weeks and I was able to get a little trust with this horse. I reduced the drugs to zero and his general behaviour improved without them.
    Another drama was getting this horse to eat or drink so started putting salt on his tongue which made him drink. As he became a little more settled he started to eat a little - This Was the start of a big turnround for this horse.
    OK - now you know - I drugged him - is there another way ??

5. Ponies4Me

Desperate times call for desperate measures, starting to sound like a bullet had this horses name on it.

6. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I don't think so I smell a success story.

I think education under mild sedation sounds like the right treatment, this is a talented trainable horse that has lost all trust in humans. Inducing a chemical calm to show him that people can be calm and consistent with him could work.
    This can only work if someone knows what they are doing it is inconsistancy and rash behaviour by people that has reduced this horse to this.
    If this horse has made it to 3* previously he is trainable but it sounds a bit like untangling fishing line the first knots are the hardest and loads of people will just cut it and chuck it.

7. Halligan

Sounds like someone did a real number on the poor bugger :(
    Drugs were a last option by the sounds so either that or the big green needle... I think you did the right thing for the safety of the horse, you AND the public! The other option woulda been to chuck him on the lunge drug free and see how long you could go sand skiing for... Now you doing THAT I would pay to see *#) hehehe

8. Janet Winter

Janet Winter Guest

I think you need to do what you think is right its you in this situation nobody else.
    Good luck:)

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Geez Brew!! Poor horse, totally ignorant owners.

I like your "no stuff around" attitude. I think more people need to take that approach. It makes sense. Stop fiddle farting around and just get on with it!

10. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

There may be other ways Brew but maybe the only way was the method you followed.

Like Janet said you have to do what is right for you and the horse at the time. Many people would have cut their losses and given him a bullet long before you got where you did :)

Thank you for this thread it has been good reading :)

11. And many people would have for sure... but in this particular situation with this sort of person and not owning the horse (and the owners doing a bunk!) she could easily open herself up for a $70k lawsuit if she had him destroyed without Veterinary recommendation (ie because he doesn't have a horrific injury etc).

Gotta love the horse world and some of the people in it sometimes!

12. If I'd said "run away as fast as YOU can , and don't look back" , I could now be saying "told ya" . Some people are the pits ! If it wasn't for the poor old horse , you'd have nothing to do with them .

13. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

2 Weeks in and now groundwork has improved out of sight ! Still doing the lunge thing but now 3 times a day - two very short sessions and one longer. I now put saddle and bridle on for the longer session and can move around the horse without a drama. The horse is still very aware but will stand and let me adjust gear etc.I still could not get near the round yard and this meant that first rides were going to be in the arena - not a pleasant thought !!!
    Week 3 saw the horse a fraction lame as he was foot sore but by now he was good with his feet as they had been handled evey day so Formalin was used to harden his soles and he was given a couple of days off.
    Back to lunging and I could not put off mounting any longer - Several trips to the loo and not a few stiff drinks later I put the horse in the middle of the arena after a long lunge and with a helper to hold him I put my foot in the stirrup and swung up -The horse went stiff as a board and started to sink to the ground ! I must admit I started to wish that I had been to church as I waited for the explosion but the horse continued to sink and then just collapsed in the sand. I was at a bit of a loss because the horse seemed to be almost comatose and I could not get him up so the vet was called. The vet took about 40mins to arrive and the horse was still down !! We had to roll the horse over several times and the vet was very gloomy about the outcome.
    Several hours later the horse suddenly sprang to life and scrambled up - he seemed none the worse for wear !!! I have wondered why this happened for a long time and still don't know !! However I now had lots of helpers on site and after a once over by the vet I got on him again. The horse was very tense but would walk a circle and stop so I got off and put him away.
    Any ideas - Why did he lie down(sheer terror maybe??) But once down and in the " I've given up and am going to die" position what saved him ???

14. The lying down/comatose I've seen before. Its terrifying to see! I put it down to sheer terror and the horse being so incredibly stressed it just cannot cope.

You have to be very careful with them if they go comatose, because pushing the horse or slapping it to get it to 'wake up' etc can cause the explosion and can be very dangerous. You did the right thing.

I've learned that horses have 4 responses to fear, the well know flight and fight - but also freeze and faint. Looks like your lad was so stressed and filled with terror he did the faint thing.

15. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Thanks M/L - I dread to think what this horse had gone through to reduce him to this !!!

16. mimco

mimco New Member

wow i cant believe there are people that could make this horse such a nervous wreck. Tjis story is so horrible hope it has a happyt ending for the poor animal.

17. Halligan

Far out! poor bugger must've gone through a LOT of shit to get to that point :(

What happened next Brew?

18. Ponies4Me

What the HELL did they do to this horse?

Have now decided who needs the bullet, but fully agree with Merrylegs. Think we'll all need a drink by the end of this Brew.

19. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Poor bugger:( C'mon Brew dying to hear the end! Did the original eventing owner find out any of this?

20. Snippit32

Snippit32 Well-known Member

Thankfully I've never had to deal with a horse that bad, but I have heard of it and it sounds awful! Poor bugga- good on you Brew for working through it with him.