Ideas on Killing couch grass in garden beds....Doing my head in!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Sam & Max, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

My what? LOL

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hehehe ;)

grass tree :)

3. Sam & Max

LOL....blackboy :p
    Which.......I hate.....hate...hate....

4. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

FUSILADE Its awesome. Expensive, but spray it all over your garden beds and it only kills the couch. (and other grasses) You need to add a water dispersant to the spray though. (I think detergent works ok) It takes around 6 weeks to die but die it does. And your plants are completely safe!

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Dig it up, with 1 cubic meter of (cooch-free!) soil and bring it to my place :D

6. Sam & Max

OH wont let me...He likes it.....pfft

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Its probably like 10-20years old lol they are very slow growing

8. Sam & Max

Its about 10 years old :) stupid thing...Dont go with my other plants....n grass :p

9. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

so is that the grass trees official name???

i can never keep up its blackboy or grass or balga or balka OMG so many names!!!

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Xanthorreheoa is the genus :) within which there are a whole heap of species.

Blackboy is politically incorrect, and has been replaced with "grass tree".

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

EEEEEKKKK Hef yep, but a good dose of fusilade, let it die off then go to town on it. ARGHHHH Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same with yours. I have found couch runners up to a meter underground, they search for water and nutrients :(

Both my previous houses had couch all thru the garden beds I near on got it all out. First house didn't have kerbing and was easier to maintain by keeping a 10cm gap between lawn and bed. The next house with the kerbing it was forever growing under the kerbing into my rose garden :( Every 2 weeks I was pulling it out, digging down to the kerb and snapping it off :(

12. Sam & Max

Ha!! In one of the beds out the back they were about a meter ABOVE ground PMSL :D

13. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

LOL the quite often grow up the asbestos fence!!!!!

14. Sam & Max

Yer.....thats the other side of the front lawn....Didnt take photos of that one....You just cant quite seem to get the whipper snipper in the folds of the fence LMAO