Ideas on Killing couch grass in garden beds....Doing my head in!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Sam & Max, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Ooooh! I have a sore knee!

still get the chookies - when the end of the world comes that counts as good karma!

2. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

Come let me take charge of 'caring' for your garden beds :)*

I HAD a couch lawn, now I have a sand pit *#)

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

oh my! I dont even know where to begin... VERY ILLEGAL!!!! And let us not forget that much of our DRINKING water comes from the bore (yep even scheme water)... what you put on the ground will eventually reach the water table....

NEVER EVER pour engine oil on the ground ANYWHERE. :mad:

4. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

I have a horse who would LOVE to help you weed the garden bed........and then 2 dogs who are more than willing to dig out any remaining roots!!!! :)*

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Can Fusilade be used around native shrubs?

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Yes just becareful not to directly spray the plant, it can handle a little mist. Try and do it before the wind picks up and you should be ok :)

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Awesome!

Cooch - its time you and I had a little chat..... LOL

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I didn't get past the bit about boiling the engine oil.....sooooo many levels of unsafe to that post!

Asked myself: Where do you boil engine oil? On a stove :eek:
    Where is the stove? Inside the house :eek:
    How do you carry it? Boiling...and by hand :eek:

See why I didn't get much further *#)*#)

9. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

:eek: Thats it....Im mowin it! LOL

Its all too hard....I dont wanna "keep on top of it" I want it gone lol....Ill have to put some pics up of the slope....shape...of the garden beds....

Wonder if I can con a kid to pull it for money :p

or...maybe Ill use my good saucepan and go boil me some fuel PMSL....who would do that...really ';'

10. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Sam - you have many slaves living with you! Bribe one of them! Can I bribe one too? Perhaps this is one for the "pro's" list... small hands, can pull cooch...

11. Sam & Max

Problem is these slaves dont pull it out properly....they start then realise its a WTF job then thats it....Forfeit all money and there outa there! LOL

12. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

It is an absolute S@#T of a job hence I used to charge $45 an hour. Some garden beds resembled a lawn with strangled plants in them. My advice was to just mow it, it was seriously past the point of no return to get it out by hand :( Or hire a dingo and dig it out and start again!!!! I feel your pain:(

Towards the end when I got called out to quotes, I would take one look at their couch infested garden beds and jump straight back in my car and zoom off down the road screaming!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL

13. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

We had a real bad problem with cooch. Ended up getting a bloke with a bobcat and he removed all the soil (it was a layered garden bed - going from the drive [ground] level to say half a metre high at verandah level). Got rid of all of it but now just had a couple of runners pop up. I mean really, how deep does this stuff go??????

Anyway, as there is only a little bit there going to try and knock it on the head by digging and round-up (or fusilade).

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Like this Merlin?
    [​IMG]

The one I have done...
    before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

15. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I got hubby onto the couch grass in our vegie patch last night, he found that using the pitchfork and 'twisting' it through the soil was the most effective way to rip it out.

16. Sam & Max

To china....Im positive!!!

We had a dingo in the backyard...We put a swim up bar in at our pool....So the whole backyard was dug out....Had a grand plan then realised it was going to cost too much to put decking in so let the lawn grow back.....In the "LAWN" area......arrggghhh....Ill go take pics now....Ive mowed it though :p

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I want dave to put dug in slabs across the border between lawn/garden like our neighbours have... they never seem to get cooch in their garden!

18. Sam & Max

Might add too....you know the stupid bits that grow inbetween you pavers....Ive sprayed them too....Now I mow the pavers LOL
    Backyard pics.....Sun is coming over so hard to see properly

From limestone block on the left to the end of pool fence on right is garden bed....mowed!! Ive taken out the edging so I could mow it...

[​IMG]

and the other side

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

you can see the edge where the garden bed is lol
    [​IMG]

not too bad here in the middle....Prolly because under this is cardboard boxes!!

[​IMG]

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Oh i love my tiny block :D We have NO cooch out the back :) Just pavers :) Sam - you need to whip those slaves into shape, this looks like a MASSIVE job! Perhaps agent orange the whole backyard and start again with buffolo grass?

PS i like your xanthorrhoea :D

20. Sam & Max

5th pic down....Im taking the edge out and mowing the damn thing...Over it.....I have dug it out so many times over the last 5 years!! And we've dug the WHOLE front garden bed out when we 1st moved in......Surely there is a plant that will give this grass a run for its money and take over LOL