Ideas on Killing couch grass in garden beds....Doing my head in!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Sam & Max, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

Ok so Im absolutely sick of pulling this damn grass out of all the garden beds....Done it before....Re mulched it....Ive put weed mat down AND Ive even layered cardboard on it LOL.....It still comes through....ive had enough of the backyard I even mowed the damn garden bed yesterday.....

Round up...Used it...Alot....Grew back.....what else?? Is there some easy ingredient I can use to kill it all? ARRRGGGHHHH*#)

2. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

I have it in mine too so would love to hear some ideas !

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

yes... my blisters from Saturday are evidence how much I HATE Cooch!!!

4. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

The only way is to Dig and round up, the trick with roundup is to use it exactly as it is directed. And keep applying it over & over everytime you see one tiny little green but spray it. Couch has rhizomes and unless you get every tiny weeny bit out it will keep growing so just be persistant and eventually you will get there:D Also if using mulch and newspaper make sure the paper is layered down in thick layers and very wet and the mulch needs to be at least 10cm deep.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Fence it off and whack a couple of really cute little chookies in there! :D
    They'll destroy ANYTHING! **) and you'll get eggies!

Sorry - that's all I got! Hehe!

6. Tempo

Tempo Well-known Member

Haha!!
    Step 1 = pull up the borders
    Step 2 = mow the bastard stuff!

I gave up on our front garden bed as the couch was driving me up the wall! Getting blisters every couple of weeks from pulling it out!!

7. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

We have couch in the worst possible spot - our vegie garden!! I've been ripping up by hand as I am too scared to spray and ruin my vegies!

8. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Roundup works if you apply it very strong to cooch! I know this one hehe

If you apply roundup in a small dose...this actually FEEDS the cooch...they love it LOL!

9. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

we trust by using boiling engine oil (used) smothers the suckers!

10. Sam & Max

Did that yesterday....Pulled the boards out....Mowed it!!!! Then whipper snipped it into the ground LOL....

Ive dug and dug.....Ive rounded up and rounded up LOL

I have used that much I should have shares in it!!

Ive been reading.....Deisel.....Apparently kills it....vinegar.....Black plastic.....Maybe if I use all 3 itll work.....or you will see smoke coming from Port Kennedy where its all reacted and gone up in flames PMSL

11. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

HAHAHA well black plastic may due to no light can get through the grass.

12. Sam & Max

Yea but the sneaky little sucker grass that it is will prolly break through the plastic and stick its finger up at me and yell out ner ner ner ner ner!! *#)

13. MSF

MSF New Member

Fusilade

Its the only product on the market that does it.

Pretty pricey thou $90 odd dollars a 1lt bottle but works and goes a long way.

14. Sam & Max

Well if thats it at $90 a litre then it looks like im gonna drown the sunlight out of it with black plastic lol.....

On the subject of gardening though I want some type of plant that lives in mostly sun.....Hardy growing...Bushy type that I can hedge....using it as a border type thing along the fence and shed.....But needs to look tropical :D......I know....I dont ask for much :p

15. Emma16

Emma16 Well-known Member

that is all we used when i was at belmont council... bloody brilliant stuff and doesnt harm the plants**)

16. raindear

Hey S&M we are heading down the road of the end of the world so does it really matter that there is couch in the garden bed??*#)

17. Sam & Max

The world hasnt ended yet and while the sun is still shining I'd still like to rid my garden bed of grass :p

And I have a sore arm! *#) just thought you'd all like to know that too :p

18. raindear

Cyber Hug (((())))) for your arm S&M:p go the black plastic in this heat it will kill everything underneath it!:))

19. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

When I had my gardening business MOST of my workload was ridding couch from garden beds :( I ended up with carpal tunnel!!!!! The key is to stay ontop of it. To get in under control give it a spray with fusilade(as already mentioned) give it 2 weeks to get down to the rizomes. Then get a sharp shovel and start chopping it up into squares, use you shovel to lever up each square, then dig down and pull out rizomes up to 40cm, just keep turning the soil over and over and picking it out. Just do 1 square at a time until all done.

Honestly paper plastic and mulch will not stop it growing back!!!! Make sure you keep your edges maintained on the garden bed, say a 10cm gap so you can catch the runners before they get into your garden beds. Regular maintenence is the key. Keep an eye for new shoots that will pop up, dig down and remove them and make sure you get the whole runner :) Couch is fairly dormant in winter so is a good time to get it all out and get your beds under control :)

20. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

lmao!!!:p*#)