Ideal size for a Round Yard?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by KPF, Sep 17, 2009.

1. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Interested to see what people's opinions are for their ideal size of a round yard and why?

I'll be back later to read up. thanks in advance.

2. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Depends what you want to do in it... Ours is 12 metres across but we just start babies in it. If you want to do a lot of free lungeing and join up and stuff in it it will need to be bigger. Parelli recommend a 60 foot round yard which is - um... about 16 metres.

3. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Will be used to start babies and lunging, so has to be a little bigger - but not too big so they get too far away from you. I was thinking between the 14-16m mark, somewhere around there...

thanks AnnaE

mmm, not many want to share experiences today...

4. ours is 16 metres :) its such a good size to ride in i do a bit of groundwork in there. plus of course lunging :) i find it a great size as they dont get away from you

alex

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Ours is 17 metres (I think - will check) :p

We had the same dilemma as you - we set ours up from scratch and wondered what size to have as OH breaks in youngsters in it, and we also ride and lunge in it too.

OH's old one was only 12 metres (like a 'breaking' yard) and was way too small to canter comfortably around, and over 20m is too big as youre chasing horses all over the place in it and they dont keep their attention on you.

We are very happy with the size of ours. Glad we didnt go smaller and wouldnt want it any bigger.

6. dun

dun Active Member

Mine is great @....

Mine works really well for training horses at liberty as its 30m.Really love working in it.Can place pressure on horse when needed and get out of its zone when you need to as reward but can move quickly so the point is put across swiftly.
    Hope that helps.
    :))

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

We have a 20m one.
    Perfect size IMO. I prefer to lunge on as big a circle as possible and at 20m it's great for riding.
    The horses can canter in there easily and it's a good size for sharpening up the stopping and turning skills of a polocrosse horse :)

8. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

There's some big Round yards.

See, I always thought, that yes, when riding a dressage test, the circles start at 20m - so a 20m round yard would make sense not putting too much stress on a young horse joints. But even lunging in the open on a 20m circle (or 10m diameter), it puts you quite far away from the horse and if trying to teach a youngster, I am thinking that maybe the boundary is a little too far away to keep the horse's attention, plus for early saddle training, maybe giving them too much room to 'play'/escape.

But one of you have a 30m round yard which works fine for your needs, so thats interesting - however I think this may be a little too much room than I require. I am not a rule book follower of any one method as such (I tend to do whatever works for each horse:)), so that much space is probably wasted on me.

Another question, what sort of surfaces are preferable in the Round Yards. As we are looking at a limestone surfaced Dressage Arena to be completed later this year, am I right in thinking the Round yard should be a little more durable and hard wearing - maybe using River sand instead? Something that won't compact too much and should it need to be deeper aswell? Or maybe even beach sand? Would you have your round yard surface quite boggy or similar to the arena, or something inbetween?

9. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

We have river sand in ours. It's about 18m in diameter - that's for lunging horses, not breaking or working youngsters etc. It's enough room to have a set of poles on an inner track to work the horses over without having to move them all the time - works for us :) .

10. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

12M, 16M, 17M, 18, 20, & 30M. Thanks everyone, it seems round yard sizing is very subjective and personal to requirements by the sounds - everyone using theirs for differing purposes.

I like the idea of River sand because it just that bit coarser, but have heard reports that it can be bad for compaction. Springbok do you experience that problem at all with yours? Or do you need to top up the sand regularly?

11. dun

dun Active Member

For us...

In our 30m we have yellow sand.Really good.

12. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

It hasn't been topped up with sand since we put it in about 2 years ago? The only maintenance it gets is to pull the branches and rake the leaves out of it as it's under a big gum tree otherwise it doesn't get much attention *#) .

It only gets used about 5 times a week though.

13. sil

sil Gold Member

We have an 18m roundyard for working the horses.

Planning to put in a second 12m or so roundyard for breaking at some stage.

14. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I made a 20m one and I found it too big. My horse used to like cutting through the middle when I was riding her! I pulled it down and I`m now contemplating building a smaller one, either 12m or 14m.

15. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Im on the 20m circle list. I dont find it too big, but also big enough if you want to do some extra fun stuff or put some pressure on the horse.

16. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Um, somehow I don't think that's got anything to do with the size of the roundyard ;)

17. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

KPF, ours is builders sand - looks like beach sand but without the salt to rust out your steel panels.

Its definitely boggier than an arena surface, its quite soft. They have to work to get through it - its like running in soft sand at the beach. :p

18. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Builders sand...is that similar to brickies yellow sand? Maybe with a lower clay content??

How deep a layer of sand do you roughly put in the arenas? I am guessing it to be a lot more than arena - say 400mm instead of 300mm?? (we need deep base on our land - gets very wet) am thinking I might need to run a couple of drainage pipes under it too.

Hopefully I can get this thing done come drier weather - and the arena finished off! Oh it will be a long awaited finale!