I have a reason to smile

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

They are assumptions as there is no direct evidence that this horse is in anyway damaged or will be damaged. Direct evidence would be x-ray or some other imaging and clinical symptom...without this they are assumptions only.

I am talking from experience of starting 2 year olds and working with horses started as 2 year olds (and this being quite a normal and frequent occurrence), and I have not seen any increase in frequency of unsoundness in these horses EXCEPT when they are trained incorrectly and hard (not to mention other factors like terrible hoof care and other management aspects), with this being detrimental to the horse at ANY age! Therefore, from this insight, I feel very confident that Strawberry has not experienced anything detrimental in the handful of rides she has had and there is no direct evidence she has. :))

2. retroremedy

A good explanation will only be as good as someone wants to hear! *#). We don't start our horses as soon as possible, we start them when they are ready and sometimes that is 2!

From experience the older the horse the more attitude adjustment that must take place, not always but enough to come to the conclusion that giving them a job to do early is positive for the horse and less stressful for them. In our experience, yes it does outweigh the risks because you are also reducing the risks by the way you TRAIN and the care you provide to the horse :)

You can do lots on the ground to open a horses mind but this is not a complete substitute for the journey to a well broke horse! Also...what is worse on the joints...... 30 minutes of ground work lunging or 30 minutes bush riding with a balanced rider? There is risks with both :)

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I was at a mates place recently and saw a sticker that I absolutely love.

It said 'I didn't build it to meet your approval, I built it because it meets mine'. I think that saying could apply here. So this horse being under saddle at a young age doesn't meet your approval, that's fine, I'm pretty sure meeting your approval isn't what Coliban and Tahleah were after anyway. I've gradually learnt over the years that there are lots of things people do with their horses that doesn't meet my personal approval and that's fine, not my horse, not my concern.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. CTCT

CTCT New Member

Original post was a brag thread GR. I interpret that as tacitly seeking apporval.. (There I go, making assumptios again!) So I called it as I see it. Coliban has been aorund in here long enough, and voiced enough strong opinions of her own, to know that if you post pics of a long yearling under saddle you ae going to get some debate...!
    With all due repect RR, you are also making assumptions: any damage done to this horse will be seen later, so you are ASSUMING none has been done.
    Neither of us can KNOW: so I choose to err on the side of caution.
    Over and out: I'm off to feed my mob of horses, two of whom are healthy and sound and BEING ridden (which is I suggest different to "riding sound but actually in a stud paddock"), at 19 and 15.

5. The buzz

The buzz New Member

Thanks RR for the explanation. I understand the whole aditude adjustment thing having young children. Way easier to convince a 2 yr old than a 4 yr old!

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

If the only reason people are putting babies under saddle is because it is easier for them THEN they need to get out of horses and get one of those riding robots !!
    I understand that people will do and can what they want with their horses and this comment is not directed at Strawberry's owner at all.

I totally disagree with putting two year olds under saddle and I have been given a number of reasons for doing so. None of them have made me as angry as doing it because it is easier!:mad:

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Might want to change the G to an R to avoid confusion ;)

8. Last night I posted pics of Deb starting her mare as a 2 yo. It is gone.:}
    How is it different to Taleah starting hers?';' Hypocritical much?
    This thread is not not to seek anyone's approval or create a debate on age starting, it is meant to be a testament on trainability, easy nature and a good size of a horse we breed. You can't deny or take it away.
    Congratulations Taleah, you have done a wonderful job and saved yourself heaps of $$$ in breaking fees.:rockon: Another tick to add on to the list of the advantages.:D

9. The buzz

The buzz New Member

Yes done sorry about that!

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

You're right mate.

11. retroremedy

Hehe, see! Good example of people on reading what you want to read....with all due respect I already acknowledged that :p

Are you an old member back again under another name? :confused: We love anyone sharing photos and stuff on here...brag on to all I say! This horse is hardly a yearling, it is 12 weeks off a 2 year old....come on. If seeking attention is one crime, targeted nit picking is another :stir:

12. retroremedy

Not easier for the human, less stressful for the horse OM ;) You got to image the attitude a 25 year old that has been allowed to sit on the couch and do what they want all day for 25 years suddenly been asked to go to work. When they are younger, they just tend to experience less stress accepting the concept of learning and work. It tends to be a smoother journey for them!

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I had never considered that brag threads would be interpreted as seeking approval :blink:

14. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Stop dredging up old threads and photos to try and prove that your are "right" If starting them so young is good for them and you are happy to do it, why do you feel the need to defend it so strongly??? Surely there are heaps of studies and papers out there that can support your arguments? I know there are lots of studies for why you should NOT start them at 21months.

So there you are - a challenge for the Starters of Young Horses - get reading and searching and get some evidence that this is good for the young horse or at least evidence that it does no harm.

15. retroremedy

No, my debate I have opening declared is based on experience and observation. If you say there are lots of studies that say that riding a 21 month year old a handful of times is truly detrimental...then YOU list them. List your evidence ;) Now when you do, it can't be about race horses or futurity horses.....it has to be subject specific ;)

Then what I will do is review the quality of the research you provide, I will have a look if it is actually peer reviewed or just like an opinion piece like the ranger article...I might also review the methodology used....therefore risk of huge amounts of snooze and boringness and I will again impress OM of reading links :p

Isn't it just cool we have different opinions based on different things with no winners and losers.......and really doesn't that make a discussion forum interesting?? :))

16. The buzz

The buzz New Member

I started a new thread where we can discuss this guys

17. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Reading back I would say there are a few people in here who are not strong at maths.

18. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

Is it just me or do things seem to form a pattern here. It seems that a lot of colibans comments draw a negative response from deb2. I feel quite bad for Strawberries owner. I would be less than impressed if I had this happen to me.

19. CTCT

CTCT New Member

OK I will saythis slowly and clearly so that some people will get it... SHILO WAS THREE when started under saddle
    I suggest you do a bit more stalking.. sorry I mean research. (Is this where I insert a row of smilies to pretend I didn't mean to upset anyone??)
    Anyway -clearly some people in this thread wish to ignore facts and attempt to slander instead. I'm out.

20. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Posting at brag thread about putting a young horse under saddle IS not going to result on slaps on the back all round. Strawberry's owner is doing what a lot of people do in riding her young horse. Most people do not put up brag threads and their friends don't put up brag threads about either.
    I don't think it is something to brag about.....
    RR I read most of your posts that you link to but have given up on some other people's links after reading heaps of stuff looking to find where it states that Standies are unsuitable for riding and being unable to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.