I have a reason to smile

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Our little baby Coliban Strawberry has been broken in by her owner, and that's how it went.
    DAY 1:D
    [​IMG]
    Hi Lena, just an update on my beautiful Coliban Strawberry. Today was the first day I put a saddle on her, backed her up, walked, trotted and took her out and about the station without any company! So much in one day and not a single refusal or bad emotion. A natural soft trot, soft mouth and so much body to hang onto. No more small horses for me. This ones something special! Can't wait to see what the next few years bring

Honestly - I've broken in 4 in the last 18 months.. I didn't do any ground work like I have. I've lunged her twice since owning her and had a bridle on her twice. I put the saddle on and hopped straight on. She's naturally forward moving - little squeeze and we were off. I think the biggest difference was the amount of body between my legs - so stable - so much centre of gravity. She's was smooth and comfortable. Not that awkward uncomfortable feeling in a small battle young horse. Ahh I'm so happy!
    I've never taken a horse straight out of the round yard writhing 15 minutes of a first ride.
    I had my two border collies running around her feet and rode down to my barrels and walked around all the machinery - well and truly away from the horses in the paddock!!
    I went home and got straight off! There was nothing more I could ask from her - she was already do advanced! My heart is beaming out of my chest! With my choice in purchasing her! With her maturity! And our future!!

2. Day 2.

"Another update - cantering and jumping in the dam on the second ride!! Lena are u sure this filly wasn't broken in as a foal?? Another two rides and ill be spelling her at this rate xo"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"We've decided she's a magical horse.. A beautiful calm neat rocking horse canter - then finished it with a slide stop and backed up off the bit... Softest horse I've ever ridden. I plan to keep it that way. I honestly think I will have to spell her in another couple of rides.. And she played in the water.. We were worried she was going to lay down which is why I was laughing.."

3. Strawberry, 18 months old now

That's what she was as a 4 months old baby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

her full sibling is available for sale in utero, due in September.
    Thanks for looking.

4. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

I really liked Strawberry!! She is gorgeous!

5. rusty99

rusty99 Guest

Thats wonderful to hear Coliban!:D

That would be my type of horse, nice and quiet :)

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I feel quite sorry for young strawberry. Such a shame that a baby is being rushed through these important lessons, and ridden so young.

She looked much happier and healthier in the 4 month old photos, but now looks rather sad and under done.

I'm glad I was not the breeder as I would feel quite disappointed by how she looks right now, and by what is being asked of her.

Hopefully she will be given a very long spell now, to give her the time to grow and mature into an adult horse, because riding sliding stops on an 18 month old just makes me want to cry.:cry:

7. I_love_equines

I_love_equines Well-known Member

I'm so glad you said something Deb, I was worried I was the only one feeling a bit concerned! Strawberry is such a gorgeous girl and looks so happy and inquisitive in her 4 month old photos it's a shame to see her apparently missing that spark now and not looking as happy. I know it's hard to go off just 5 photos but it's consistent over all of them and such a contrast to her foaly pics!

It's a shame sometimes that the horses with the most lovely temperaments are pushed too far too soon, you'd think if they were awful the owners might take it a bit slower and give them time to grow and mature. I'm not 100% sure how old she is now, but I hope she does get that spell the owner has promised and it's a nice long one.

8. rusty99

rusty99 Guest

Oh, I didn't realize she was so young still!

9. I did too!:D She is a nice filly, big and strong:D
    She has been started, did perfectly well what was asked of her in an incredible short period of time (3 days, 3 rides), didn't put the foot wrong, didn't buck, bolt, etc..even went into the dam:rockon: (she never was exposed to water when she was with us on the farm).
    She'll be spelled now over winter to grow. Mind you she is over 15hh at the moment, big girl, well covered too.:)
    Thank you for your nice comment.:D

I have never been strong at maths! haha Strawberry is 21 months old now, she was born in September 2011.
    Mods or Admin could you please remove the caption with her wrong age?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  10. Taleah85

Taleah85 New Member

One of life's greatest debates I guess. When is a horse mature physically and mentally enough to be started?.. I know my horse and I am happy with her progression hence going back to spell. Deb I'm sure you are an experienced horse woman and can tell she is in paddock condition with her very fluffy coat?! Regardless I look forward to meeting and competing against you (assuming you compete as I am new to the Wa scene) with Strawbs.. And my other Qh's :)

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Why not just change it yourself : ;)

12. CTCT

CTCT New Member

At 18 or 21 months, no matter how "big" or "strong" her long bones are still open, her vertebrea still have very soft, easily deformed cartilage in them (how heavy is that saddle??) and the small bones in her knee joints are still growing and easily squashed. ALL horses skeletons mature at roughly the same rate. And in many veterinary opinions the LENGTH of time you ride them for is irrelevant. (As is the fact that she is in paddock condition - in fact that probably makes it worse as her MUSCLES have not been gradually conditioned to support her skeleton (no topline for example = less support for those VERY susceptible vertebrae). Not does competing/not competing have anything to do with people's ability to comment. Maybe some of us should READ a bit more instead??
    Poor Strawberry... welcome to the world of hock injections by the time she is 6... I hope the new owner puts her out for a REALLY long spell.

13. Welcome to SY Taleah:D

I would if I could! Obviously I can't!:rolleyes:

14. 7notHeaven

7notHeaven Active Member

I believe the age debate is very valid with a horse this young (I would consider her a yearling still - correct me if this is wrong?) BUT this is still a wonderful testimony of the temperament Coliban has obviously bred in this filly ;)

15. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

Interesting :rockon:

I think 21 months is too young to start under saddle, and just because she is over 15hh is not a good enough reason, my 21 month old is 16hh and I have no intention of putting her under saddle until maybe this time next year.

7notheaven until the 1st of August she is classed as a yearling.

Ps coliban everyone can change their posts it is called the edit button :p

16. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

wow, such pickiness. I'm assuming coliban didnt know how to edit the post hence asking a mob.

coliban is obviously pleased with how this filly has been started, her owner is obviously pleased, I dont think either of them posted these photos to debate the best age for starting a horse, rather to show how well this filly has done.

I enjoyed seeing the photos and to me the filly doesnt look unhappy, she looks like she's got her winter woolies on, she is not worries (head down in the submissive position) and has her ears turned back towards her rider as she is obviously a little unsure of this new requirement of her and she is paying attention to the leadership and guidance given to her by her owner.

Anyway thats how I see it, to each their own. Congrats to both coliban and taleah for such a beautiful and even tempered (and smart) filly! thanks for sharing the photos and taleah welcome to SY

17. Taleah:)
    please accept my apology for the welcome to SY you've received with my thread on your filly. I believe that 3 short rides wouldn't do her any harm.
    She is a lovely filly and I am very happy she went to an experienced competition home.**)
    And for the key board warriors who jumped in to create a stir :stir:*#) use your energy *#) where it is really needed!

18. really? and are you 100% sure of that?*#) Have you tried to edit or delete the caption?:}

19. I_love_equines

I_love_equines Well-known Member

I don't think voicing a concern is the same as being a keyboard warrior. If that's the case no-one would ever be free to write what they really think for fear of it being dismissed as argument for arguments sake, and that wouldn't be a nice or informative place to be. Feel free to disagree though, you have every right to in a discussion forum.

SY is used as a educational resource for many and it's important that people reading this thread today, months or years down the track realise that riding a horse at 21months even for only a short time has risks and consequences, let alone cantering or doing a sliding stop (even if only once). I don't know the new owner or know what her experience is, but none of us are above learning new things either. It would be silly to assume everyone already knows everything. We never stop learning.

It's unfortunate that Taleah chose to join just to comment on this thread alone, the concerns voiced come from a good place and I don't think they reflect at all on how welcome she is here if she chooses to stay.

To me and a few others Stawberry doesn't look happy, but maybe that's because her expression is the same one as my horse makes when he's unhappy. His listening ears are quite different. Each to their own though.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  20. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

Age debate ';' ...guess people would hate that my rising four year old is out competing EWA eventing! and yes it is legal!!!

Kudo's to you coliban, your bredding program is obviously something very special!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.