Hygain Micrbeet

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by OBHH, Jul 18, 2011.

1. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

I was in the stockfeeds today buying my food for the ponies, i got my bag of Speedi-beet and the girl was telling me about the new Hygain Micrbeet. She gave me some brouchures to have a read from as she said it was going to be cheaper than Speedi-beet because it is Australian made.
    Has anyone tried it yet?
    Is it the same?

What i want to know is : It says on the brouchure Australian made from Imported ingredients?? So where are they getting the beet pulp from, does it come from the UK the same as the Speedi-beet or are they sourcing it from elsewhere to make the product cheaper. Because if it comes from elsewhere , i would like to know before i decide to feed it.

How much cheaper is it actually going to be?:D

Ultimately i would like to save some $$ and buy Australian where i can etc etc but like to first know my facts. lol

2. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I have been told it is about $10 cheaper,

I have also heard reports of some people getting bags that have been contaminated with oats, corn, soya beans etc

3. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

I was told only about $4 cheaper?? I suppose it boils down to what area you are in BUT im not liking the contamination bit. If its only new and they are having problems already??';'

4. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I am in QLD, and haven't used all my speedibeet yet, so I haven't bought any yet, but my stockfeeder told me $10 cheaper.

I guess Hygain will pop in and address the contamination issue ';'

5. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

I'm using it now.

It's exactly the same as speedibeet, maybe the flakes are a tiny bit thicker than the sb, but doesn't take any longer to soak.

Have seen the contamination talk, nothing in mine and I did check as the bag was emptied into the bin!

I paid $34 same produce sells sb for $42.

Imported coz we don't grow sugerbeet here (that's cheering from the sugarcane farmers you can hear:D) Hopefully Hygain will pop in here to give you the details on processing :)))

Crossed posts KG :)

6. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yep, i realize we dont grow Sugarbeet here and yes it is imported, BUT from where???? Does it come from the UK like the Speedibeet is or somewhere else. Yes maybe Hygain will pop in and help clear things up for me.:)

7. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Speedi Beet is very competitive in the market and in WA at least the bags will be in most cases similiar pricing.

Speedi beet is a top quality well known product that has been on the market for a number of years now with no quality control issues of any type.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  8. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Feed MaxiSoy instead, it is only $21 for a bag and is high fibre / low NSC and a great product**)

9. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

As with all Hygain products it will be more expensive in WA then in the eastern states due to transport costs. From what I have been told, the raw ingredients have been imported from UK (i think) then it has been Micronized and bagged here in Australia. Hence its an "australian made" product. I really dont think that here in WA the price will be much different from speedibeet, maybe a $1 or $2 here and there. It will be up to the individual to decide to stick with what they know or buy australian owned...

10. Hygain

Hygain New Member

Apologies for tardiness in getting on stockies. I have been otherwise engaged.

As has been suggested the raw beet pulp is imported and is then thoroughly inspected by Australian quarantine and unloaded in AQIS approved facilities and tested to ensure that it is free from any contaminants and is friendly to our own agricultural industry. The only way to avoid such strict control is to bring it in strapped to our bodies, squeezed between our butt cheeks or swallowed in condoms and to be honest I'm just not that committed so we have received all the appropriate AQIS approvals.

The raw pellets are then micronized at our plant (which is what allows for the rapid soaking time) and then bagged for shipping.

So the bottom line is that the end product is Australian manufactured and more importantly the product is Australian owned. The Speedibeet is a British owned product being distributed in Australia by another company which if not fully overseas owned is certainly heavily involved with one that is. I'm sure Arylin will clear that one up.

As regards the presence of some grains in the Micrbeet this unfortunately was true in a few isolated cases and this was immediately addressed at mill level where holding facilities and machinery were yet again fully inspected and cleaned of any grains. Further inspection of stock found no further grains however we will happily replace or refund any people who bring back genuine cases of product that doesn't meet specifications.

Now as far as pricing goes it is fair to say that this will vary greatly. I was in W.A last week and intro'd it around and the following stores indicated as follows:

Mandurah Stockfeeds: $33.00
    City Livestock: $34.40
    Budget Stockfeeds: $33.00
    Oakford S/F: $33.00

These are all inclusive of GST.
    I suspect that this may well be more than $1 or $2 less per bag than the current Speedibeet price but that may depend on the individual store.

Of course whether people choose to buy Australian or not is entirely up to them. I'm one of those Dick Smith Peanut Butter buyers myself but I realise that there are some ex pats from the old country (my mother included) who would rather support British owned product as well as others who are simply comfortable with their current product. The good news is that the introduction of Micrbeet will unquestionably cause the distributors of Speedibeet to reconsider their current pricing scheme. This would be a welcome relief for Australian horse owners who may have suffered under excessive pricing of this raw ingredient in the past though of course it does cause one to ponder the question "Would this price have dropped if Micrbeet had never come on the market or is the new pricing simply an act of extraordinary benevolence?"

All good fun I reckon and at least there is now an option.

As regards availability I would expect the first bags to start coming in to W.A later next week and then supply will increase by Mid August.

So there you go. I reckon I've answered the queries as best I could though no doubt our name will still be mud to those who benefit from the retention of the status quo!

11. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Thankyou Hygain for my laugh for the day :))

12. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

^^^^me too :D

So how much are all you WA'ers paying for speedibeet???

13. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Thanks Hygain. But back to my original question, where is the beet pulp imported from. Im happy to use the new product if it is imported from the UK but I will not if it is from another inferior country. Can you please let me know it's country of origin as I would like to support Australian made.

14. Hygain

Hygain New Member

Define inferior country?

Is France or U.S an inferior country to UK? Both of these are massive exporters and growers of beet. As to the UK they weren't too flash at growing beef as I recall so their agricultural industry doesn't exactly fill me with enormous confidence. If you are concerned I can confirm that it isn't from Russia or China though it is interesting to note that some recent studies on vitamin/mineral compounds from about 20 nations found that Chinese product was the most reliable whilst nations such as the U.S, UK and Germany were well down the list. We anglo saxons can tend to be terribly arrogant about the quality of white mans produce as opposed to others!

For commercial reasons we do not advise the precise source of our beet pulp. You need to understand that Hygain isn't the only one who has been looking at bringing in this ingredient and the specifications of our product are actually lower in sugar than the speedibeet. We'd prefer to keep our opposition guessing though of course AQIS is well aware of our source and is fully approving accordingly.

So if you are only after product grown in Great Britain then I guess the Speedibeet may have to be the go.

15. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

My goodness when you sit down and start to read about all the different types of feed available, i just come away even more confused!

There is just sooooooo much on the market available, they all claim to do this and that.

I have for a few years been sticking to good old pony maintenance, soaked oats (for the young or old ones) equilibrium and good old chaff. I also feed rosehip and some carrots for a treat.

The cost $$$ of horses to keep are not going southwards any time soon, so we all have to look at what and where we can save and look at how many horses we really need to keep each.........................:)

16. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I know this is a way old thread but I just bought a bag of Micrbeet yesterday as the other beet product I was using wasn't available & I paid $38/bag! More expensive than speedibeet but I like the hygain products so will give it a go for my borderline cushings horse..

Local SOR stockfeeder but I won't name.

Any response Hygain?

So wish I could just go back to feeding oats but thanks to research I know that isn't the way to go with a horse with metabolic issues. And of course knowing what I know now about diet my other horse is now on the same diet..:p feeding has never been more expensive lol:eek:

Anyone got any thoughts on the Micrbeet product now it has been out a couple years?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hygain FibreEssential is cheaper and would be safe to feed a horse with metabolic issues. :)*

Or you could consider feeding Beeta Pellets made by Milne Feeds. Cheaper again!
    http://www.milne.com.au/beeta.html

18. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Thanks Caroline.. on the Hygain website they suggest Fibressential isn't suitable for cushings horses...

Hoping Hygain will pop in?!..

Milne is the product I usually use hehe

But in reading this thread its got me thinking where they get the beet pulp from.. Hope it's not (& doubt) it's from China... Off to google...

19. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Why isn't FibreEssential suitable for your horse?? :confused:

20. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Do you know what I read the ingredients and its beet pulp, lupin & soya bean hulls & calcium carbonate I thought well that sounds fine. But reading further down the literature Hygain don't recommend it for metabolic horses..but don't really say why just that Zero or Microbeet are better for horses with those issues.

I already feed Hygain Zero great product.

Be interested to see what Hygain say I might drop them a line.

Must say am pleased with their products although expensive..

My boys didn't seem to notice any difference changing from the Milne Beeta to the Hygain Micrbeet but simply costwise I will prob go back to the Milne product when I can get it again. They love their feeds despite it all being low sugar and especially they have liked the warm water i use to soak the beet on the cold mornings:p

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013