hygain balanced = heating

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by peppi, Oct 26, 2013.

1. peppi

peppi Active Member

Just wondered if anyone has found hygain balanced a little heating. I havent been feeding very long and feel my lad has more energy to say the least. Then I noticed its 25 % protein. I like how hes looking on it just wondered if anyone had found it had the nasty heating effect....I can do without a loopy loon...

2. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

I had no issues but know of 2 people who did believe it was heating their horse up.

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I don't know about the Hygain but I'd hazard a guess that all that lovely spring grass loaded with sugars you have down there might have something to do with it. ;)

4. peppi

peppi Active Member

I dont think so zaza...he had stacked on weight before I started feeding it but was fine....I used to use the blue chip but its so expensive although brilliant. I was hoping the hygain would be the same....but Im not so sure it is...and I dont remember a high protein in the blue chip. tha stuff actually had a calming effect...praps Im just going to have to suck it up and pay out for the blue chip....:eek:

5. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

I use Balanced with all of mine but only as a balancer not a stand alone feed. I use all Hygain products and mix my Balanced with Tru Gain, Tru Care and Showtorque (all for various horses).

My hot TB has been on the Balanced for two years now and has been fine the rest of mine aren't really what I'd call hot just the one thank goodness!

I've been limiting the amount my guys get on the long rich grass mainly because they are all fat already but also watching the sugar intake.

6. peppi

peppi Active Member

I have just been using it as a balancer....I wanted it as an all round mineral sup...He only gets the 500 g they suggest on the bag in his chaff with a few pony nuts....it only amounts to the small blue alka pellet scoop which isnt much at all....

I guess Im just unlucky

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

Skyes been on it for a few months and I have not found it heating

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hygain Balanced is a feed balancer, and not just a mineral/vitamin supp as such. Balanced is a high protein and comprehensive min/vit supplement, but it is a very concentrated product designed to be fed at low levels ie- under 500gm daily.

So I can only suggest that the horse may be feeling good and fresh as he is now receiving something nutritionally he was perhaps lacking before. **) :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. peppi

peppi Active Member

marvellous...thanks very much :)

10. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

I feed hygain ice and its GREAT and not hot for the horses!
    You can get micronised feed which is when it slowly lets the heat out, no probs at all!
    I've heard Showtorque makes em hot & is recommended for show horses in lots of work!!
    Good luck!:)*

11. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Heated my fella. But I've since taken it out and uped the pellets and chaff.

I never had an issue with showtorque on my thoroughbred, but I only feed half a scoop once a day. Each to their own :)

12. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Just a thought - could your horse be reactive to soy? its an ingredient in Balanced that may not be in your pony pellets.

13. peppi

peppi Active Member

Ive gone back to the blue chip...expensive but works for me and mine. He doesnt have that edge to his attitude he had with hygain balance. Thanks for all your replys :)