Hunters bump

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by dun, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dun

dun Active Member

Well we have a horse in our care at our agistment centre with a severe case of hunters bump (there are other terms ) Anyway I would like to hear what has been successful with sacro issues with other peoples horses.
    He is in pain and we are trying to manage it the best we can. I do not want to go into to much history as it is public forum but he is 12yrs and has been an eventer in younger years.
    I am a believer of a horse being retired when its needed.
    To me this has been an issue, long term with no person to look into the treatment of it...I digress.
    Vet has had his opinion as well....we have been down the injection road.
    I am waiting on some advice from my friend John O'Leary and will take it from there I guess but I also like hearing from other horse owners in WA of what they have found successful and on the other hand completely useless.

Feel free to ask me anything about his complaint. Cheers

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I retired my TB boy at 8yrs old due to sacro issues and arthritic changes. It was related to an old injury sustained as a 2yr old racehorse in training. He was always sore even after loads of Bowen treatments, homeopathic and herbal supps, and physio works. He was no longer safe or sound to ride. Sad. :cry:

3. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

We had a racehorse that "retired" and then did his sacro after having a fall in the paddock (at the owners). A year later he was put back into race work and ran 3rd, now he happily jumps and is a pleasure hack (only because owner can't part with him and has no interest in showing). I couldn't tell you how he was rehabbed without asking the owner but I do know he's completely happy and pain free. Boss has said she's had a few sacro injuries that if treated correctly and given time don't always end up in a retired sore horse. Sorry not helpful I know.

4. dun

dun Active Member

What a shame

Thanks for the responses above....we are getting feedback of retiring him. The upright gait in his hind legs and unable to walk without it being uncomfortable...this is just in the paddock obviously and observing. We wait to hear from another equine vet I am dealing with and John and Linda O Leary.

We have been advised to place him on a course of bute plus having chiro. Thoughts?

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

John Khonke has a series of exercises that can help these horses. Jump on his website on have a look.

6. dun

dun Active Member

Thanks for that..will have a gander.**)

7. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

Have you thought about trying tumeric?

I am only new to using it myself but it is supposed to be particularly good for joints/muscles etc

There is a good group on facebook called "tumeric users group" which I just joined - heaps of info there

8. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

Does the horse receive regular body work? I would be leaning towards working with a team of people, such as the O'learys (as you mentioned), the vet (I would seek a second opinion as well), and a body worker working together for this horse.

Regarding Chiro - I would be more inclined to get a muscle worker out first to help release tension and tightness through the body. Regardless of who you get out, I would be taking the reports to your vet to show them what you've done, and what they've felt/found. This can only increase your chances of creating a better detailed decision/program for him. Even as a paddock puff you may still find he will need regular body work.

9. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

This might be long, so sorry in advance! :rolleyes:

I rehabbed my (then) 11YO QHTB gelding from a serious sacro injury which occured when he fell off the back of a float when unloading (at the vets for his pre-purchase check!).

Rahni presented with lameness in his nearside hind, and was stiff through his offside hind. The vet advised us not to touch him with a ten foot barge pole, but we'd seen his potential, so purchase the silly bugger anyway! (Yes, we were fools to do so).

Rahni came home and after one week of rest he was lunged twice daily on a 30m circle in walk, increasing to 5-10stride bursts of trot after three weeks. He received bowen therepy 3 time a week for three weeks, then reduced to once a week for a fair few months.

He was seen by a horse osteo, who managed to pop his hip back into place after about six weeks of preperation manipulation. Rahni almost fell to the floor with relief that the pressure was decreased dramatically.

He continued to have bowen and osteo combined and was still under saddle doing stretchy long and low type work in walk and trot only.

We used a lot of raised trot poles to strengthen his back end, as well as beach trips to work him through the heavy sand. Had we had regular access to hills, he would have done a regime of hill work at least 4X per week.

Today, Rahni is a happy, healthy horse who enjoys his work, and has a fantastic work ethic. He will always have the Hunters Bump as a reminder of the hours and tears we spent on this boy, but he's fully ridable and not lame.

Shortly after the incident happened (two weeks?) can see Rahni stepping short in that near side
    [​IMG]

Rahni late last year stepping through a lot better!
    [​IMG]

10. dun

dun Active Member

Chiro is our next move

Well we will be looking for a chiro/bowen therapist in the Great Southern area. We would like to know anyone's thoughts on which is better for hunters bump. We are hearing a million stories and also keep in mind this hunters bump has been there for years.
    Thanks to anyone with a story.:eek:

11. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

What therapy were you after? Chiro? Bowen? Sports Massage?
    Let me know what you want, and I will check my book for names/numbers for your area.