HP Clinic 1 - 3 Oct

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by cobbie, Oct 2, 2010.

1. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Thought i'd start a new thread.

So who went to watch and who took their horses?

I took Lilly, she is a 4 year old TB never raced but had a few little greenie/baby issues, one was she doesn't lunge to the left too well, we don't have a round yard only arena so of course once she was in the round yard she new very well how to lunge to the left haha but oh well, I knew there was no excuse to her not lunging to the left! Another was head tossing which she does/did when standing and at walk even if you have the reins at the buckle, she did this yesterday however today when john worked with her again there was no head tossing at all, yay!

There was also the problem of her lack of forward and she isn't the most responsive to leg, so worked on leg yielding etc.

John loves her and thinks she is a quality horse who is highly intelligent so that was lovely to hear from someone as well respected as he. She hasn't put a foot wrong all weekend, so proud of her!

Nice to meet some new stockies too :) looking forward to tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Why did he use the gadget he has on her?? It looks like running reins :(

3. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Probably running reins when lunging; can't tell under saddle maybe a market harborough?
    But otherwise no idea as I was unable to attend :(

4. Araphra

Araphra Well-known Member

I think it's a market harborough/german martingale. He uses them a lot in his videos :)

I would have loved to have gone and watched this weekend, but found out about it a bit late and had already made plans :( great pictures tarz your girl is lovely.

5. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  6. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I didn't start an argument, i just asked a question:) Glad you are happy how she went!

7. I've been Fri and Sat, and am having a good time so far, its been fascinating and really interactive. I love that, John invites the crowd to voice their opinions and observations and really involves you which is super.

Im pretty tired now, so I won't post a lot more but I have some photos to post which I will do tomorrow or Monday.

SC's Raph is going well, its been really interesting what we've been finding out about him and potential reasons for him being abandoned (aside from the one that his ex owner whoever it is was a irresponsible scumbag LOL). Will be booking him into the vets for a thorough investigation of his apparent breathing/throat issue first thing Monday so we have a thorough diagnosis for any potential adopter!

Tarz, your filly is a stunner, I've watched her both days. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  8. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I thought Raph looked lovely, I saw him when he first had the hobbles put on

9. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

I've been having fun, although a bit busier than expected seeing as I have somehow become John's secretary for organising horses and trying to keep everything on time.

It's been good though, I haven't missed too much of the display and have got to spend a heap of time with a master horseman.

10. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

The HP Clinic has been wonderful. Lilly is a beautiful spunky perfect little filly, Congrats on owning her :) and Raph is the most wonderful natured and forgiving chap around. He deserves the best new home around.
    Very informative days and great to meet other horse mad people like me...:))

11. Firedance

Firedance Well-known Member

Ok so this is you!! I was having a quiet giggle today listening to John rant on about where his secretary was!! I thought you were in some sort of paid position - or even apart of the crew and had flown over here!!

Tell him you are a PA not a secretary! :))

So far I have wanted every horse - each is unique whether in beauty/brains/personality - just have to organise the truck for tomorrow around 4pm.................. *#)

12. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Thankyou - But are you sure you mean Lilly not Milly? As John likes to call her haha :p

13. taeliesyn

Ok so that it's now obvious who I am to other stockies at least reading this thread, come up and introduce yourself!

I don't bite and generally have the bright green clipboard with me LOL.

14. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Hey Taeliesyn! I was the one who asked for the brochure at about 2pm Sat afternoon @)

Was a great clinic, I leaned heaps and took a load of photos, got some great sequences. Not sure if I'm allowed to post piccies here? Mods please advise

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Ohhh I aam jealous much Tae, when I see you nextI am so touching you to try and get some John Magic of you lol.

16. LOL aha so you're a stockie too! Thanks for shifting the speaker round so we could hear :)*

I've met some great Stockies including Croft, Eoroe and Taeliesyn - its great to put faces to names :D

17. brookside

brookside New Member

Yep I was there, with Max the "ADD OTTB" that Fred that has been helping me with....had a fabulous three days, met some great people and learned heaps!!
    Now just have to remember some of it!!

18. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

i had an absolutely wonderful time. I was the one with the big bay Shire, who wasn't with the other three. The one that John rode this morning.
    Got so much out of this clinic, and now have a freshly started breaker, at 10 years old! LOL.

I met a few too, good fun.

19. notickets

notickets Well-known Member

Would have loved to have gone to this, but just had a bit too much on. Great to hear that a lot of people got a lot out of it, I hope there is another.

And great to hear someone put Taeliesyn to work :p *#)

20. taeliesyn

Well it was definitely a great weekend, I picked up a few bargains on some gear and it was good meeting several more stockies and having a good chat with some too:D

You'll Keep :p

John is currently saying this is the last clinic he will do :(
    Though there are several of us who will work on him to get him back. I've promised to be his secretary/PA again if he comes back. Apparently I did a good job, not sure how*#):D