how...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I rode my pony (13.1hh...I'm 168cm) in my youngest sister's (Miss-teenybum) saddle because my 'proper' saddle doesn't fit my pony.

We chased kangaroos, jumped logs, galloped, I fell off.....jumped more logs, did all kinds of things. Was all kinds of uncomfortable for me but Danni was happy as long as I kept my position as uncombersome as possible for her! :) (especially considering I'm not a little-sister-sized rider)
    Mind you, it felt completely ridiculous going over jumps because my bum was over the cantle so I had to be mindful of that...but it was way too much fun to pass up. :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. I spent 2 months JUST riding bareback. It was the only way I could ride, cause we didn't have a saddle that would fit the midget.

When you're learning, isn't it so much easier to learn in a saddle that's going to help you? Rather than hinder you? I'm sure the saddle you all ride in on your usual ride fits you. And your horse.

What's the point in riding in a saddle your horse doesn't like? That was the problem. He didn't like it at all. I ride in the a/p he came with, but only for jumping, because I have a gorgeous dressage saddle that fits him and me that I much prefer to ride in on the flat. I don't know why this debate is coming up again.

ECP, I can't afford regular lessons at the moment. I do have a bit of money set aside but I have to pay for his worming which is due and we will be buying the wormer tomorrow. I just had 3 ridden lessons. Well. 2 really, because I got bucked off during one and they wanted to make sure I was ok before I got back on.

Pony club is better than nothing ';'

3. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

A wormer is what.. $20 at most! Big deal if you can't afford lessons due to having to buy a wormer.. Geez I hope your horse doesn't need any medical treatment!

It's the same story EVERYTIME with EVERY HORSE with you... I can't do this cuz I have no money, this saddle doesn't fit, I don't like this or that, how can I jump 90cm before I've even done 50cm...
    My horse walked one step "on the bit" woo hoo now how do I do side pass..your twisting my words!! Blah blah!

Just stop thinking about competing and get some lessons! Can't afford it? Maybe theres another option like working more!
    Or working for your lessons?

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Where's a mod???

5. Random_Winger

Random_Winger Well-known Member

My saddle needs an back raiser to fit my horse properly because he is high withered. I will be getting a saddle fitter to assess it and fix it accordingly.

If there was something wrong, I would not ride, I would be lunging, working on ground work and going down the right paths to rectify any issue there may be.

If the saddle is sitting oddly, take a look how, such as mine was sitting too low in the seat, so I got a raiser. How correct is the gullet? Have you tried a puffa pad? A bit of extra padding to make the horse comfy?

Sorry, I've kind of skimmed the thread, what saddles do you have exactly? Which discipline do you rather? I stick to dressage/hacking, so I got a dressage saddle, because it suits me. You say you like jumping, so definitely stick to A/P, cos it is jumpable and good for flatwork. What size is your saddle at present? I think I read 15"? Sounds like a 16 or 16.5 would be better.

Random suggestion, you don't have to take it into consideration if you don't want to, but if you're really wanting to find a saddle that fits best, sell all the saddles you have at present, and use the money to find yourself a comfy one, and make sure you try a few :) To enjoy horses, you don't HAVE to always ride, spend the time you take finding the saddle to just work on the ground, who knows, you could end up playing around with liberty, you could teach Monty to bow!

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. Catt

Catt New Member

I've no doubt that some people know the OP personally or had had 'issues' with them before....
    It seems such a shame that someone has asked for help in memorising a Dressage test and its turned into this. ';'
    Every time I read a thread that ends like this it reminds me why I'm hardly ever on here.

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Here here. Come on mods, do your thing, you know you want to.

8. Spider n Toby

Why should mods?? This happens everytime! No we arnt being "bitches" but tired of giving advice month after month to be the same
    Old stuff. There are some dam good horsewoman lol here that have given advice that id being taking in like a
    Sponge but yet there words/experience and wisdom get shuved back down there throat and they are told of for being a "bitch"

9. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Dont open her threads or reply to them with advice if you know it upsets you and she discards of your words. Simple..

10. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

How long before you can't afford to feed Monty and have him PTS to?

Yes, how dare anyone shine a light on the glaring problems here, all that do are called bullies.

I would love to say more but it's pointless, it falls on deaf ears with to many sycophantic do gooders with a play nice or not at all attitude while the rest of us are sickened to the core that yet another horse is now in the hands of these people copping the same lame arsed excuses.

I know this post will no doubt be deleted, but hopefully not before the truth is read.

11. Catt

Catt New Member

Where has anyone called anyone a bitch? You've typed it in quote so I assume you are actually quoting some one?? Or is that just what you have surmised??

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yes I totally agree with you spider and leti. There has been some wonderful advice given over and over and over again and for sure some people just shouldn't click onto a thread like this. Seriously though this thread is so far off track it ain't funny thus the call for a mod.

13. Catt

Catt New Member

I'm hearing ya Sharaway. I really am. But why say such things on a public forum. The girl asked for help memorising a dressage test. If you (or whoever) know her personally why not pull her aside and have a word/give advise/tell her some home truths rather then vent publicly about it...If she hasn't taken advise off the forums before do you think she will again??? She's probably less likely too with such reactions like this.
    What ever happens with lessons/wormers/saddles/money I hope the girl has fun at the ODE and does HER best!

14. Spider n Toby

Sorry Catt going by past experiences! Haha

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Exactly. I commented in one of the many, many threads from the OP and was called a bitch and a bully. I try to avoid posting in these threads now (still read them as they can be pretty entertaining).. I really don't get why people continue to give advice now, it's not like it will ever be taken??? #(

16. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

**) **) **)

17. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

:( yep :(

although i do feel some of the comments re her saddle is uncalled for. If she was telling us how she had propped her saddle with a towel or riser, we would be down her throat for that too. Says me who has to prop my jump saddle up with a towel until my girl gets topline back.

I sincerely hope that the money saved by the sad loss of one horse, can go towards a brighter future for Monty.

18. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Agree with you sharaway! Exactly!

maybe it's a good idea for the op to not post for a while.

19. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

.......amen

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

This isn't the first time someone has made that suggestion either.

I agree with everyone but seriously to quote a wise mod 'this thread has run its course'. Typical ending to such a thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.