how...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiccyLovesK

NiccyLovesK Well-known Member

I hated his old saddle it's an ugly strange thing, but it is just fine, Sarah managed to jump in it fine and controlled him perfectly fine. Yes he is picking up topline a lot, but can't you just get your AP you were going to use on him fitted? So it DOES fit him...

';'

How will you SJ without a saddle to fit? Explain to me how you can't XC coz you don't have a saddle that works, but can SJ ... unless you're using a Dressage saddle to do your SJ??

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. GiGi

GiGi Guest

I remember dressage, SJ and XC courses by breaking them down into 3 parts. Works a treat for me :)

I just started eventing last October and had never ridden XC before, completed all 3 phases in my first 2 events (e grade), and in the last 2, I've taken tumbles during XC. This is entirely down to my nerves. I had a young rider take him around Wally late last year in D grade, and they won (she's ridden 100's of XC courses), however now I'm struggling to get him around e grade. Nerves are a funny thing, I actually thought I was going to throw up on my pony's neck and that my stomach was going to fall out of my backside, if you know what I mean **) So for me, I'm going XC schooling and will attend some training days before attempting XC again. It is certainly not as easy as it looks !

However I am old, and I imagine you have way more guts than me ! Start at any level you are comfortable with - for me, I didn;t want to have to worry about height, while I get my nerves under control.

Have fun though, it's a hoot !

3. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

at D and E grade you would be fine to do it in a dressage if you have one that fits.

hell im gonna give some jumping a try and i dont own a jump or a all purpose that fits either me or the horse properly without modifying padding.

4. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

im jumping in my isabell atm. pretty glad i was last night or i would have come off a fair few times ill tell you right now hahahaha and his saddle needs to be refitted too.

5. BillyBob

BillyBob Well-known Member

Isn't riding meant to be fun?

In the lower grades its all about learning and making mistakes?

It's D grade not an international event.

If she makes it around and gets a completion then well done, she may well even place god forbid!

If she gets eliminated is it really the end of the world?

D grade really isn't that "techincal" and sure it can't be ridden blindly but it is created with beginners in mind.

A green horse & rider combo isn't advisable but here we have a reasonably educated horse & rider with some experience.

Good luck with your event & I hope you have fun!

6. Niccy. You're not reading me right. I said I put his a/p that came with him on his back and it was ok. It is fine, temporarily, until I can afford something that fits both him AND me and is nicer to ride in. The problem with the little newer a/p is that it's too small for me - my legs are too long for it, and when I shorten my stirrups to jumping length, I end up sitting on the cantle which then tips me forwards and causes him to rush. I am not doing the ODE because I feel that it would be safer and more fun if I wasn't freaking out at every xc obstacle because it was completely unfamiliar to me - I want to be smart and actually train first. Showjumping is familiar to me and I have competed and placed in it before.

I don't feel like getting in any arguments with anyone tonight though, I'm tired. Believe what you want to believe.

7. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

pmsl **)**)**)**)

8. NiccyLovesK

NiccyLovesK Well-known Member

His old saddle is fine you need to stop blaming your position on it, everybody else who rode him rode him in a decent position, just makes you try harder which you are clearly not if you keep blaming everything on the saddle.

I give up.

9. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Learn to ride in the correct position WITHOUT a saddle and stop saying its the saddle or the horse.
    You need to look at yourself first,improve your riding bareback.
    I spent the first three months riding my horse without a saddle.
    It will improve your position no end and make you feel safer in turn improving your riding.;)

10. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Take a look at Eventingchild's position in her thread on her spotty horse jumping...
    I wouldn't matter WHAT saddle she was using - her position would still be good. That's what you need to aspire to.

11. Excelsior Centerpiece

back in the day (and not even that long ago) we barely knew anythign about saddlefits... and they were competing in the olympics with what we would now call "dodgy fitting saddles" if they can- we can. just gotta learn to ride properly to start with.

"cough" lessons "cough" called brew lately "cough" take up his offer "cough"

12. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

Mod 1 is watching this thread:rolleyes:

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

mm also- yes riding is ment to be fun. first event no matter what the disaplin your main goal is to get around and live and finish and not be eliminated, and at sucha low level- im sure your horse wont mind if its saddle is slightly uncomfortable for you.. it will still jump, even if it requires a smidge more padding.. it will still jump. you will just need to work harder to maintain ur position.

*cough*lessons*cough

14. Omega Conquest

Omega Conquest Well-known Member

Love your ummm hints? EC :p

15. Excelsior Centerpiece

i think i just have a cold comming on....

16. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I could do a d grade ode in my wintec western and get around the course just fine.
    Would fail the gear check though lol

Rip Latte

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  17. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

in regards to saddle fitting the rider, i also have longer thighs and have knees over the knee flaps, now yes it does make your position feel like crap, but it just makes me work all that much harder to get a correct possy no matter what saddle i ride in.

i would love a saddle tat fitted booth me and the horse 110% but sometimes that just dosent happen.

its up to the rider to adjust and deal with the tools that they have at hand, as only a bad tradesman blames his tools.

18. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

My first season of eventing I rode in a crappy old 15" (yep!) Maxum AP saddle. Was so crap and uncomfortable! But we got round Gidge and Brookleigh ODEs in it :D

19. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

**)**)**)**)**)**)

20. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

Thread stays on track or it goes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.