how...

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...do people remember their dressage tests? :eek:

I'm after a few tips and tricks. My first ODE is coming up middle of next month and with it, my first dressage test.

I have strategies for SJ and a couple of ideas for the XC but I'm really mostly just worried about getting through the dressage without too many major errors.

2. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

3 errors and you'll be eliminated, so you want to aim for less than that!!

I used to put the arena letters on post it notes and practise the test on foot in the lounge room.

Put a certain song on your iPod and ride the test to it a few times - if you are musically inclined this may help trigger your memory.

Draw the test on a mini-whiteboard.

Have someone call it to you at home.

These are all things Ive tried in the past. It all depends on how you learn as to what will work best for you. Try not to practise the whole test too many times on your horse, as they may start to anticipate. Instead, just do small sections at a time.

3. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

I draw it on a piece of paper over and over and over again.

That generally works for me.

4. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Get out there in the arena and run it yourself/pedal it on a bike.

5. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I draw on paper, and go over and over it in pen.

Also pacing it out, and practice on horseback.

6. Thanks guys :)

Anna E I don't have access to a full size dressage arena (only a little one that's a good 3km ride away) but I'll see if that works.

Monty knows the drill, I would assume, since he's been there and done that many times over his career. The trouble is, I don't :\

I have drawn up an 'arena' on a bit of paper, methinks it has more letters than I really need for this test but it will help me figure out where they are for later on if/when I need to ride a more advanced test.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

If you don't have a full size arena for the bike, run round it in your living room/back yard/front paddock! It depends on how you learn best - I'm a kinaesthetic learner so drawing it/reciting it was no help for me, but those might work for you.

8. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

When I used to practise little tests years ago when I was learning to ride, yep-I'd run it and run it over and over again, in my living room, back yard, paddock, arena etc. . Got me fit and thinking **) :D

9. okkk. What does FXM mean? Like, in from F to X and back out to M? Or something else?

"FXM | free walk" quoted directly from the test.

Edit; it's the one thing that's confusing me about the whole test! Doing prelim 1B...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
  10. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Yes, FXM, walk to X (as if you were guna change reins across the long diagonel), then when you get to X you need to go back to M.. so you don't actually end up changing rein.

Are you doing D grade? E usually does the 1A test.

11. Yeah I'm doing D grade. On his owner's advice. And I'm scared silly about the XC to be honest but I'm trying not to think about that until the time comes to walk it. I know I can jump MUCH higher than D grade heights, I'm just being silly because they're solid.

ETA, and thanks, that clears things up a lot :)

12. dramaqueen

dramaqueen Well-known Member

i used to work with my horse in the arena to try and get it. My non-horsey friends made up poems with the acronyms for each step and i also used the whiteboard

13. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I used to walk trot and canter around the lawn to learn my dressage tests. And this was back when my sister and I both rode so we called each other's tests out for each other to run around the lawn to :) Was really good fun! We only got our tests about 2 nights before the event too so was pretty intense! *#)

Then to actually practice the test I broke down the movements and tried to get them as neat as possible. :)

14. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I haven't done a dressage test in a long time, but they used to be pretty symetrical. Is the second bit of the test your doing like a repeat of the first bit, but in the other direction?

15. It is a bit. There is one part that's only done once, and that's the free walk FXM. Lots of circles.

16. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

17. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

I run around the loungeroom to learn mine.

K, I have to say, knowing you and your riding, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend that you do an E grade for your first ODE. If you've never taken this horse XC, do not attempt D grade on him.
    It doesn't matter if he doesn't respect the smaller jumps in E grade, at least then if things go wrong you can just step over the jumps.
    I'm only saying this for your own safety.
    You have not ridden a XC course before. And you've not had this horse long. Give it time and do at least your first ODE in E grade. You'll have a lot more fun. And after all, that's what its all about.

18. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Im in the same situation.

I am going to enter in the serpy ode 2 in april. Will be my first ODE, and my FIRST dressage test, and my FIRST crack at a XC course (although thinking it would be a good idea to hire one out before this show).

What I was planning to do is have some one call it out to me each day as the end of my warm up in the arena.

It helps that one of my instructors is a dressage judge :D

19. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

If you're not comfortable with doing D grade, then no-one is stopping you doing a lower grade ;) No matter what the horse's previous experience!!

Trust me, you may be able to jump the heights of Pre Novice, but when you're going to your first ODE on a new horse, you want to make things as easy and comfortable as possible for both of you **) You have to concentrate on 3 different phases,so you don't want to be worrying about your height at the same time!! There's plenty of time to go up the grades!

Why are people always in such a rush to jump their horse bigger and higher as quickly as possible??

20. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Trust you gut, if it's freaking you out see if you can change down a grade.

Also, work out your learning style and use that to pick a method that will help you to learn your test.

Good luck and post pics :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.