How to tell?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Tam, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I am at the moment a little annoyed atmyself for not trusting that there was something was wrong with Kobie when he was obviously trying to tell me that there was. after checking the obvious i just assumed there were training issues rather than pain type issues. At first i always think that there is something wrong but then am told i am being paranoid and that he couldn't possibly be sore or anything. How do you tell when it is truly a training issue that needs resolving or that something was wrong?

I am totally kicking myself, i know he is an honest horse and i should have picked it up sooner : (

2. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

you have asked a hard hard question. you could keep a diary, and write down each days progression and weakness. that way you can go back a month ago and analys what his canter was like then to now. only you can tell from regular riding if something is out of the norm.

my sister was at one clinic, and her horse stopped jumping. the instructor put it down to being pig headed and disobediant.
    so she took him to another jumping lesson straight away to try and get down on the problem, and that instructor said that he'd lost his love by being burnt out.
    the next day he was dog lame, and soon after had an absess in his hoof arupt.

again, some vets will listen to what you say, and what you think might be wrong or where. others say they are the one that have done the degree, what would you know.

do other people have the same problem on him?

-bec-

3. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I guess its a matter of getting to know your horse, and trying to listen to what he is saying to you....

Try and watch him in the paddock...... can he move freely and with out "pain" by himself???

4. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

it's probably better to be a little paranoid than to not worry. at the least you may pick up a problem sooner than later, rather than the other way round. i am a little the same that way.
    i am a bit of a worrier, & even though i know about it, i would prefer to be a bit worried & cope with whatever stress i put myself through, than just shrug my shoulders & go my merry way.

5. sil

sil Gold Member

I think women have better intuition for this than men. We pick up something is wrong, but we talk ourselves out of it.

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Has Kobie always been like this in the canter? If so how are you to know that there was some problem?
    If a horse is doing something well for a while , then decided to jack up , you can just about bet that there is a problem . They could be sore , or sour and I have found that when this starts , a spell does wonders. It can relieve soreness and rejuvenate them , particularly is you have very little to do with them over this time. When you bring them back in , they are usually pleased to be pampered again and will give their best. If they still dont want to work after a spell , you can bet your bottom dollar that they have a problem.
    Using this method with our horses , I found that we rarely had to call on the vet.
    It is absolutely useless pushing a horse that is unsound or sour , as you wont get the best out of them , so a spell for a couple of weeks will soon sort it out.

Jo

7. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

He has bucked alot before as a result of not being forward and round at the canter not to mention lacking balance and self carriage. But this was different, it was more nappy than anything else and i am totally kicking myself for not listening to him when he's telling me there is something wrong. My instructor didn't pick it up either as we had checked his back and saddle and he has never had a problem (that has interfered with his work) anywhere else. Sorry kobie!!!! : (

8. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

I've had a similar problem and learnt from it. I took my horse for a ride and we did do a bit of hard work. He stumbled a little but i thought nothing of it because he picked himself right up and carried on perfectly normal. After hosing him down and letting him roll I went back to feed him and when I put him in his stable I noticed he wouldnt eat out of his chest height feed bin. I'd recently bought a new hay net and placed it closer to his feedbin so i assumed this nosing then retreating action was out of nervousness of this new object. I moved that and still he attempted to put his nose into the bin but as he did he pulled back sharply. It got to the stage where he would kick out violently as he moved his neck forward. I naturally asked a few people, checked every inch of him for a spider or something caught under his rug, checked the whole stable etc. It turned out that as he rolled, he had stretched his neck and pushed it into the sand as most horses do. By chance he'd pulled his neck and was unable to tilt his nose towards his chest without a sharp pain. The chiro said he was out in 5 places! So there you go, its not always what you expect and horses can let you know it can just take a while to accurately diagnose them!