"How to Show" clinics

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by mirawee, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Do people not watch and absorb what goes on in the floating area or on the sidelines?????? I learn't everything as a kid by just being observant and strapping for others. Sorry to rain on anyones "parade" but you don't need to spend money to learn the tricks of the trade!!!!!! I certainly didn't:)

2. beks

beks Well-known Member

Its great to see the fresh spark in peoples eyes( figure of speach) this is great but dont forget the weeks of preperation, correct feeding training and schooling, ridden, inhand or lunging that goes into getting that perfect look on show day!

A fantastic step in the right direction.

Cheers

beks**)

3. jess1925

jess1925 New Member

I'd go! It's very scary going to your first show with very little knowledge of whats right and wrong

4. jess1925

jess1925 New Member

Not so easy if you have kids and start showing later in life, and it's very difficult to guess what is required by standing on the side lines, what is acceptable is very broad and depends on the show. Pony club sites are great but not always accurate to every show.

5. chickiboom

chickiboom New Member

Me Too! Merlin and I are from the same parts of the show world and, dare i say it the same age and era, but i have never paid anyone to give advice, and never would. Become like a sponge when out and about at shows, watch and learn and then practice at home. And if you don't know something just ask, not all of us showie people bite!!:)
    Show Magazines also are a fantastic tool, you can see what's in, with colours, jacket styles, browbands etc And if you can't do that go through photographs from big shows, you will soon get the idea

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Some people are not exposed to shows or attend shows elite enough to see how the big guns do it.
    Specifically children in country area's who's best part of showing is attempting to plait their pony and the one hack show they attend is usually the local Ag show.
    These children are most interested in learning how to do it properly because they are simply too far away to attend shows where they can see how the example is set and will certainly have alot of fun trying out their new education on their ponies.

Saying that, even some of the older generations will come with interest who too have not been exposed to that kind of thing but interested to learn.

Once people are slightly more educated it might inspire them to get out more and maybe feel more confident to drive to Perth and attend shows.

7. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Do you have to spend money to learn how to do it? Absolutely not. But a lot of people don't necessarily have friends that show or the shows available locally to go and watch.

I learnt how to prep ponies and horses to show by helping friends and keeping my eyes and ears open at shows. But that's not an option for everyone.

A big part of feeling confident in the show ring is about feeling like you have some idea of what you're doing.

My business "teaching you the tricks of the trade" is about giving people a starting point in their show prep. I teach beginners what they need to know to have the confidence to get out there and give it a go.
    Then once you know the basics and know why people do what they do, you can watch and learn and pick up new methods that might work better for you or your pony.

I cover everything from washing, plaiting, makeup, quartermarks, what gear to use, what to wear, what to expect in an inhand class and what to expect in a ridden class.

I love hacking and showing as a sport and I want to encourage people to get out there and give it a go.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  8. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

*like button***)

You cannot teach someone to be "creative" it is a natural talent :) Watching and practicing and having a good old go is the best way. Showing is all about being CONFIDENT in what you do and how you do it. Taking pride in yourself and your animal how much does that cost to teach????????

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I disagree Merlin, you can teach people to be creative, I've been doing it for years!!

Watching and practicing is the way to learn if you know people to watch and what you're looking at/for.
    What you can teach is the basics for presentation. That way people feel that they're not going to make a total fool of themselves so they'll actually get out there and give it a go.
    Once they know the basics and have been to a couple of shows they'll start to see different ways of doing things, different products to use and start to refine their presentation.

If you're lucky enough to have people to talk to, watch and learn from then that's awesome. But if you don't then an info session with someone like me is a great place to start.

If you have the willingness to learn then you'll find that your presentation will improve quickly, once you have some idea what you're doing.

10. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Fair enough :) People are very lucky to have you to teach them**)

You are right, people can learn to create and build confidence in their own creativity**)

I spose some people are just naturally good with their hands and have an eye for detail :)

11. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Exactly, thanks Merlin.

It's the same with anything that required a little creativity... my Mum has just learnt how to do patchworks. At first she found it really hard and didn't know where to start, but now that she knows the basics she can look at a pattern and work out how to do it.
    What I do is give people the basics so they can then learn to build on them from there.

From a horsey point of view... if you have no idea how to plait then when you look at different plaits you probably won't be able to see any differences.
    But once you know how to plait then you'll start to see that some people do them more standing up, others flatter against the neck and on some ponies you may do both to help disguise a cresty section.

12. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I have never prepped anything other than SB's (well a TB recently) and learned "within" the SB show scene and apart from my laziness, I think I've done ok lol. The SB assoc did offer to run a "show prep" clinic years ago with Richard Rice but didn't get the interest enough to warrent it. MASSIVE pity to not be able to learn from Richard. ';'

13. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

See I have NEVER shown a horse....This would be a great idea...but..Id get lazy...too scared LOL....Wish someone would come just pretty the spotty horse up and take him to one LOL
    at least he would be shiny when he got off the float.....WITH SWEAT pmsl