"How to Show" clinics

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by mirawee, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

This is exactly the sort of thing that I do and the main reason that I started my business.
    I wanted people to get into showing and to enjoy it and a big part of showing is your presentation.

If any clubs are interested in running a presentation day for their members please contact me on beth @ nagstoriches.com.au (no spaces).
    I run through everything from presentation, how to plait, makeup, quartermarks, what is expected in a halter class, what is expected in a ridden class etc etc.

2. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

I am aware of training show days :)

no plaiting required(i think), but basic run through of what you would expect at an ODE :)
    whihc is grate for people like me who are new to the eventing thing!!

if you PM me for details i may be able to point you in the right direction.

but the ex advertiser young horse clinics look great !! definately attending that one

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Will ignore the first part ;) No, that is not quite true, I would be happy to help out at something like what I am suggesting, but there are certainly a lot of people out there more experienced than me.

But the second part is easy :D Do what I just did and buy a purebred arabian *#) Of course that is only 1 of my 4/5 show horses - the rest all need to be plaited...

Twitching works too ;) Diva has been a show pony for 4 years and still hates the clippers on her legs :eek: But then she hates waves/running water (except from a hose) on her legs too! However she just stands there to clip her head out LOL.

To the glue factory? :D

Beth's business is great. But I imagine a lot of beginners would be a bit intimidated about organising her but might be interested in a clinic that was marketted towards showing beginners what to do :) I know there are a few clinics held occasionally but they are more for people who are already involved in showing.

4. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

id rather show a hairy pony that resort to drugs or a twitch.

having said that, i will be working on training him over th next few months, and he is also going off to be mouthed and harness broken, so im sure we can sort some of his other quirks while at it.

makeup, i have NO idea on that one, i bought vaseline, but then didnt know how to apply it, so told th kids not to worry. save that for next time.

i dont learn form reading, i have to do things, so i need someone with time to spend helping me practise. i have 4 horses, what size would my teacher like? lol. :))

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I think it is a great idea/s.:)*
    Topic 1: Show presentation for Hacks/Hunters
    Topic 2: Ringcraft, etiquette and how to ride a workout.

and having a comp after is a great idea :)

it is harder to have a show prep day for breed as they have vary varied requirements and maybe the seperate breed assoc that have branches in WA could do this (I know that some already do)';'

6. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

It is definately not easy when you are starting out.

best way to get experience is to go to breed/hack shows and watch the horses consistently winning supremes/champion against strong competition/large numbers etc and ask their handlers how they prepare, (thats how I learnt, had no-one to help me) - they either will have the time and be willing to help you or will say sorry are too busy.

***deleted because of advertising. To talk about names on here the person needs to be a paid advertiser, listed in the classifieds doesn't count***

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  7. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

*#) LOL thanks :D

well not quite that norty :D

but i myself would love to go to something where someone is willing to show me the ins and outs and stuff, it can be very very intimidating and quite nerve wracking for some of us beginners i rekn :)

8. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

When we go to shows I alway look around and watch how people prep their horses/ponies. Like on Sunday I saw someone using a squirty bottle with Ravens oil in it! what a brilliant idea! So thats in my kit now..or just ask, most people are really happy to help or give hints on how to do something. :D Also practice at home and try to do your major trimming a week before so if you stuff anything up it has time to grow and then its only a quick tidy up on the day!**)

9. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Sorry Mod 4 didn't realise seperate ads, slaps myself on wrist, would be good if a Pony Club could hire someone to run a plaiting/presentation clinic or hold one SOR and NOR at a private property that has public liability insurance :)

10. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Actually, Beth's business is about showing beginners what to do.... it's absolutely what people are talking about here. She will either do individual one on one sessions or come to a club and do a group session!

I'll let her jump in and confirm but I am certain that is the case...

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Magic, I know :) I meant a lot of beginners wouldn't organise a private session but might be interested in going to a group clinic if they saw one advertised :) I don't think Bethy has ever organized a clinic herself has she rather than going to a Club?

12. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

yep I see what you meant now. I know though that if a club to approach her, she would certainly do a session for a group of beginners. **)

13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

in this case i need to SERIOUSLY thank my adult riding club, Wanneroo.

i'm in my 3rd year of membership & have had the opportunity to have show prep lessons with **** (whose tips i use now!), inhand lessons with an experienced breeder/shower & judge, and further inhand lessons & tips on presenting according to breed from another long time breeder/presenter.
    the inhand lessons included basics like trotting out & how to lead etc - very helpful tips for my own (limited) breed show experience.

my aim is to WIN a best presented class one day with my stb (a tough feat when the stb's are so impeccably presented!!! eek!)

i love my riding club for providing me with such opportunities.
    oh, i also got to steward/marshall a ring at our riding club's breed show & learnt SO MUCH from the judge & she gave (both me and the competitors) loads of feedback on presentation & what she looked for with each breed she judged & why one horse was marked down etc. i think it's important to try & learn as much as you can!

WELL DONE, WANNEROO!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  14. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

"I" have public liability on our property!!!!!!!!!

anyone wanna come to narrogin??? HAHA :p

15. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Thanks Magic :)

Yep, the whole point of my info sessions is that they can be either one on one or group sessions. I use really easy to understand (and to replicate) methods of doing things and have developed ways of explaining what I do so that they're easy for anyone to understand.

HCF... I would be travel to Narrogin though I think the cost of the session plus travel would be a bit expensive. But if you have a few friends and want to put a group together I'd be happy to come down.

I am more than happy to do group sessions for clubs as well. I can either bring my horse to demo on or work with member's horses, I don't mind either way.

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I can recommend Bethy :D. She's done an awesome job plaiting a few of mine in the past!

Beth - if we had the numbers would you do a country run?

17. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

she said she would!!

so lets get numbers and a venue!! **)

18. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Thanks Arnie :)

Yep, I'd absolutely do a country run if people were interested.

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I haven't read the entire thread. My eyes are going bad so I skip alot of pages :p.

I'll get back to you about it then Beth :D thanks!

20. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

just a reminder to members that we have paid advertisers who do this sort of thing, so some parts of peoples posts have been removed as they are not paid advertisers ;) Carry on :)