How To Recognize Problem Muscles #1

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by smash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. smash

smash Well-known Member

ok first lexie (thanks for telling me how to copy them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok is that more helpful ??

aaahhh cheeki,
    what a good girl you are, now jed, you have circled a long circle on his body, and it is hard to tell if it is not water marks or a knot, so i wont include that for myself, as i am only going from a photo, so i will give him the benifit of not selecting that myself, but you are there in person and will know better.
    SO WELL done, i can not pick any others on jed that you have not circled or mentioned. *one gold star*
    oh WOW what a porka LOL LOL LOL
    poor hon will explode LOL
    ok now i see you got a bit carried away with your circle work on poor hon LOL
    your big circle on her chrest is FAT not a KNOT LOL *nice try to fob that off as a knot* LOL
    on her body, you have a circle, and directly under it is a small knot, and just near her elbow on her shoulder is another knot. that whole are, should look like one muscle (have a look at tildas horse photo)
    you certainly have done a good job at picking up those knots cheeki, and you would of got another gold star, if you didnt try and sneak in that crest for a knot LOL
    well done cheeki, they are all just minor knots on a horse THAT NEEDS TO GO ON A DIET ha ha ha

playing with fire AAAAAHHHHH really really white bits LOL yep she is a challange, and i have blown the photo up, and i too can only see a knot in the hip area. she has her front leg standing back a touch, and i just cant tell if it is "part" of her colour patch ot a baby knot at the back part of that patch on her shoulder (gosh that is hard to explain hey) near where the patch turns into spots and starts to fade.
    i hope that is helpful, but you picked it wright in the first place, LOL
    thank you, i just hope as everyone puts up photos and such, others may notice that maybe their horse has something simular.
    cheers

2. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Oh thanks heaps! thats better!
    So ive read the thread, and watched the videos, so when we try to get rid of the knots, do we spose press along where the not is?
    Thankyou

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi lexie, those videos are just stretches and how to "check" if there is a problem.
    it is imposible to "explain" how to massage, and that is why i ask that if you find a problem to seek professional help, as those knots MAY be because of an actual problem that there is no way one could "diagnose" from a photo.
    this thread is more about discovering if there is a problem. and if there is, seek professional help. it would be Irresponsible of me to tell people how to manipulate a muscle, when there may be an underlaying problem, which could do more damage to the horse.
    trying to get people to understand, that by JUST getting someone out to tend to a sore horse of this nature DOES NOT WORK, the owner has to do checks or massaging themselves, and this is BEST discussed with a therapist FIRST.
    once you have been shown by a therapist the best way to give your horse a massage, you then only need to call them out if you have something that YOU dont know what to do, as you will find that you will "maintain" them with ease yourself.
    i hope this is helpful lexie, because that is one hell of a lovely filly.

playing with fire, VERY GOOD. yes i can see what your are talking about. wow you guys are really picking up on this really well.
    thank you all for all the photos and all the feed back.
    look forward to following these horses and the updates.
    cheers

4. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

There is also a very good article in Hoofbeats about massagin a muscle.....I noticed it yesterday and had a good read.

Cheeki,...have to laugh about trying to pass off your horses bits of fat as knots :)*

Edited to add...THANK you Smash for all of your help!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Thanks Smash, you are very knowledgeable and its great that you tell us to seek therapists first!
    You made me go all mushy! thanks i love her.

6. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Bahaha I know it is fat, but it felt quite hard (like another knot she has abover her shoulder .. which is fat too .. so never mind! haha) so I wasn't sure .. can you get fat knots? LOL! Coz I think I'm made of one giant fat knot haha.

Ok yes yes Hon is on a diet as of this week .. LOL Believe it or not she's only on grass, hay, and a tiny winey feed for vits/mins .. LOL
    I was unsure if her crestyness was fat-knot or not .. but it felt quite hard like a knot, and as I worked on it she stretched out and felt more relaxed .. ok, it was just a guess ;)
    She had a crest when I first got her, and it felt different?

The long one on Jed has been there for a few weeks now, and I can feel its a knot. So yeah, I included that one :)

LOL I cannot believe that its fat, not a knot :eek: ohhh the shame, the shame :eek:

The one on her chest (in green) was showing where the rug had rubbed, as from the photo it looks like a knot .. but it wasn't. But yes .. Its prob fat as well (hence her rug doesn't quite fit her .. LOL)

Lol pooh missed out on a gold star .. got one :D yippeee!!

Ok .. I think its time for Hon to go into the Jenny Craige paddock .. she's not going to be impressed ;)

Your post made me laugh. .and my sister hehehe. thanks for the advice and gold star lol!

Will report back in a few weeks with a trimmer, less FATTY pony ;)

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

ha ha cheeki, dont worry i had a good giggle at you trying to fob off fat for a knot LOL
    yeah you can poke that crest and not get a reaction LOL try poking a knot and see what happens (dont really poke a knot, some horse object and will give you a good boot)
    i have rang jenny graig, and booked hon in LOL
    will look forward to seeing hon with a Voluptuous figure LOL

THANK YOU BABE, that is one super talented horse you have, and i cant wait to see him competing with the big boys LOL

lexie, thank you for understanding, and i hope you keep us updated with that lovely filly of yours, her markings are just so feminine, she is just so classy.

8. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Cheers....yeah your right Cullen is nice and soft but is a little sore from the saddle but hasn't bucked...so will give him a good massage before he goes out to spell

Still hasn't bucked, and I don't think he will.:)

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

LOL glad Jenny Craige could fit such a .. furry member in with their team :D

Thanks for your help smash .. *toddles off to work out a nice and safe workout routine for the fatty*

10. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Ok smash, i have another one for you lol *do you want tim tams as payment or alcoholic beverages lol* I have circled where i think there are problems, not very confident though :(

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Ok i think thats all.......thankyou

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Aww shucks :eek::eek: Thanks Smash:)

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

YOUR WELCOME BABE.

BEAU = WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you did a great job at picking up problems, this may explain why he is having trouble picking up his right canter lead at the moment.
    see it "might" be him pushing your inside leg back, due to those shoulder knots being worse on the off side (right canter lead)
    you get 2 gold stars** for getting those knots.
    now get someone to help you get ontop of them, as you are now QUALIFIED to recognize a knot, you will be able to catch them a lot earlier, before it has had a snowball effect.
    WELL DONE BEAU !!!!!!!
    oh, my hips say tim tams, (as they would the greedy little buggers)
    but my heart says alcohol LOL LOL LOL

13. Beauvelour

Awesome thankyou Smash! Like someone previously said THANKYOU FOR OPENING MY EYES!!!! they have been staring me in the face THE whole time!!!!

Now my next problem is finding someone! The guy that i was getting out is no longer in town, i have been put on to another person who comes down on school holidays.

thankyou, thankyou thankyou!!!! *welllll tim tams might go alright with alcohol.....if u choose the right kind lol*

*** Oh i forgot to add that i did the carrot stretches and he can reach around to his offside hip ok, but cant reach to his nearside hip very well!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  14. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi beau, you may of noticed in all my videos, their is "NO FORCE", it is purely upto the horse to stretch as far as he can. a professional will help you sort the "problem" out, as he has a trapped pin muscle on his off side, so he can neither strike off in the canter that side, nor stretch as far as he can (when you ask him to stretch around to the near side) just helps YOU assess his limitations at this time.
    stretching and massaging as best you can until help arrives will help ALOT, as it will make it easier for a therapist to their work. you are onto it now, and have a clearer idea on his limitations at this time, THAT IS THE MAIN THING !!!!!!!!
    once you get ontop of this, things will be a lot easier to stay on top of, and it will make it easier to guage what kind of warm up you will work on before asking him to really work.
    lol beau, ok i will just have to satisfy my thighs and my heart at the same time LOL

15. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I second what someone else said about pintos, detail is very hard to see!!
    Anyway, here's my horse and the bits I think cause him problems. I'm cheating a little as two therapists have IDed his problem areas plus when I massage the areas I can feel them myself, but there's probably other areas I haven't noticed.
    I don't have any really good clear pics, hopefully these will do (pic overload!).

[​IMG]

He's generally good to ride and feels quite unrestricted, except when his neck gives him trouble, then he will tilt his head to one side and poke his nose, probably trying to stretch it.
    Any input is appreciated :)

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

good morning TB4Me,
    pintos are quiet difficult to pick, as you REALLY have to see them in person LOL and sometimes, their markings can play tricks to the eyes.
    now i did have problems with blowing it, as with so many photos in one photo, things get blured and too hard to work out.
    the twisting of the head is due to the knots at his poll.
    his actual shoulder on the off side will need to investigated and also his hip.
    the near side has a knot behind the shoulder and his hip also needs looking at.
    i hope this is helpful TB4Me, and please feel free to use this post when discussing your thoughts with your therapists, as it is NOT the therapists responsibility of ensuring no problems in between visits.
    [​IMG]
    sorry TB4Me that this is in your post, but i have only just got this email as i was working on your photos, and did not want other readers to think it was a result from our postings, as this is CLEARLY not the case. i thank you TB4Me for posting your photos, as you know i have a weakness for our coloured friends

********************************************​
    i have a lovely email NOT!!! from someone who feels there work is being compromised by this thread, so i will say the following AGAIN!!!!!!!! for those that lack the ability to READ!!!!!!!!!!

i have tried to explain, all the work done by a therapist can be undone by the time they drive out the gate, and it is why i am trying to get people to "see" that they have A LARGE roll to play themselves.
    if horse owners are given the chance to KNOW how to CHECK their horses have a problem, then they are have a better chance at making sure the therapist of their choice is actually ABLE TO HELP THEIR HORSE.
    NO THERAPIST is perfect, and the OWNER should be able to KNOW their horses, and be able to discuss THEIR findings with a THERAPIST and work out some sort of plan TOGETHER.
    SO I WILL SAY ONCE MORE FOR THE PERSON WHO IS CHALLENGED BY BLINDNESS.......... ​
    *MY VIDEOS ARE FOR "CHECKING" FOR SORENESS
    *WHAT THE SIGNS TO LOOK FOR
    *AND FOR STRETCHES
    at no time have i "attempted" to "pinch" your clients, as i doubt anyone is willing to travel to VICTORIA for a massage!!!!!!!!
    i have "attempted" to give all readers/posters a chance to be armed with knowledge and understanding of THEIR OWN HORSES.

now hopefully that has been cleared up.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  17. Beauvelour

hey TB4me, do u think there is one just behind the sholdour on his off side and one in a similar place on the near side?

Just wondering as im trying to practice looking for them lol

** its ok smash beat me

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. Beauvelour

If anything smash, wouldnt you be increasing their business? As i will be the first to admit, Harry had 2 massages and i thought "yay hes cures" Now i have learnt (kinda) what to look for! Luckily I have the day off work today so im on the hunt to find someone in this town that does them!

*anyone from perth will to travel to Esperance LOL*

19. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Smash I think your wisdom is always welcomed here!!! I can't wait to actually see my horses in the light so I can snap some photo's and get your opinion. I think Jings is pretty good, nice smooth muscles etc...

Just have to butt in though...cheeki - Hon looks like a little pudding!!! I just want to squeeze her LOL *#) Her and Sienna can join Jenny Craig together LOL

20. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hi smash jist a quick update re sugars lumps and bumps lol.

No photos today as the cloud cover is really high and I forgot the camera lol.

The golfball in her nearside hind deep in the muscle has disappeared. Muslces aroudn the hips are soft and pliable. front of neck is still tender and knotted.

I worked on the knot behind the elbow (Yes she has certainly been girthy before now) the knots along the line of ribs have become less noticable but are still there.

She has really been enjoying the massage, looks around from her feed to see waht I am doing every now and again. Doesn't really like me working the top of her neck but just tries to move away so instead of massaging there I was just scratching and she twisted her head to get more of that :)

It probably is not the best thing to do to massage while she is eating but somewhere I have to cut time a little and if I can massage while she is eating that is better then spending twice as long out there.