How To Recognize Problem Muscles #1

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by smash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Smash- he had 5 days off so i thought it was unfair for to to expect him to be able to do 45 min of work and not get tired. So nice relaxed ride with no pressure and when he was ready he lifted himself **) i know my saddle doesn't fit correctly so i make it as comfortable as i can for him and don't ride him everyday in it. I made the mistake last week of riding him in it 4 days in a row and he sure let me know that he wasn't a happy camper on day 4. :( (I've only had the horse 3 weeks..saddle fit pretty good for first week maybe 2 and then he put on a bit of weight and a bit more muscle and now it doesn't sit so crash... pinches his shoulders and sits a bit low on the wither #( )

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

you are doing everything you can SR to allow him to do his best, as much as we all want things done NOW, it is not always possible, but understanding limitations of something, does help us reach the goal we have set.
    all the best SR

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hi Smash thought you might like to know I gave my girl a massage this morning.

She has been dragging her back legs and not tracking up or wanting to flex.

She was tracking up and not dragging her back feet afterward (which considering she has an injury to below the hock is impressive.) (I didn't check flexion)

But her eyes told it all. She was relaxed and happy and sparkling in her eyes. Where before she looked unhappy.

I had the vet out on Friday who could only suggest to warm up the horse more before riding and if that failed to give her bute to isolate the problem so to get such a difference from my massage was great. I am looking forward to riding her in a few days once that leg is up to work.

If my massages haven't eliminated the problem I will get out the guy who was recommended to me. I would have done that on Saturday but she had injured herself and I thought that he would have more benefit after she had healed a little.

I have trained for 2 1/2 years as a people massage therapist so I am enjoying transfering it to horses. Still have a lot ot learn though :) Thank you for your info.

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

thats good sugars mum,
    yes it is difficult when a horse has had an injury, as we concentrate on the injury itself and forget that there is ALWAYS a snowball effect.
    it maybe just a tightness from the injury or from compensating FOR the injury, and if we miss the tightness, the horse will then start to compensate for the injury AND the tightness, and there you have your snowball.
    all massaging does, is help stop a snowball effect, but we must investigate what started it in the first place, in your case a accident.
    some it is just a case of weakness of conformation to what we are asking the horse to do, uneven hooves, and abscesses but most COMMONLY it is a simply case of a WHOOPIE in the paddock that goes WHOOPS.
    beleive it or not, when a horse rolls in the paddock, and then jumps up and has a big "whoopie attack" (you know the big bucks and phart)*yes i spelt it wrong for a reason* lol that is when they will most likely strain something they shouldnt, hense a little knotty poo, we miss it, and ride them or whatever, and then they compensate = SNOWBALL.
    99% of the time, the human had NOTHING to do with the "initial" problem.
    we normally dont realise there is a problem as we have missed some subtle hints by the horse, and will normally only investigate after the horse has done something completely out of character, so most are dealing with a "snowball".
    with the help of others sugarsmum, and you massaging on a regular bases (or a checking massage) and should help aide the healing of her initial injury
    you just do your best to keep ontop of their night time antics LOL (one can only imagine what some of beloved friends get upto under the cover of darkness) LOL LOL
    i am glad you made a differeance to your horse sugars mum.
    please feel free to post photos and keep us all updated
    cheers

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

This photo is fairly recent but before I did the massage on her.

I have circled what I believe is a muscle knot at the front of her neck, along the top of the neck is a hollow area circled. Could this be undeveloped muscle?

knots in front and behind the shoulder and at the top of the hip circled in red.

The blue cross is where when I gaver her the massage I found a large lump deep in the muscle. The size of a golf ball it was not reactive to pain.

The rectangular patch is where there is a line along her rib cage. It feels a bit like her ribs shelve there but I massaged down between her ribs following the line of the ribs twice and this ridge is not so noticeable now. I will try to get more photos over the next few days so you can see any difference.

The strong poverty line in her hind quaters I think is because she is a little light in weight in this photo or is it possible that this is caused by a muscle spasm as well?. Since then she has put on some more weight and is looking a lot better.

[​IMG]

6. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

LOL at the chickens Sugars mum :p

Looking at your photo, my boy Jed has a simular knot along his back below his spine ..

smash - I have photos :D Prepare yourself for one seriously squishy pony :p

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

thank you sugars mum, you did a really good job.
    you certainly did recognized the problems. thank you very much, it really is good to see people really going over their horses with an objective eye. THANK YOU.
    now i have added some more "colour" to your pony sorry LOL
    i have used GREEN to show you a couple of others, and i put a green cross in one of your circles, because this was not a knot (it is where the muscle has not been able to develop due to the knot i have in green)
    but you picked up the others very well.
    now my yellow circle is to explain, that this IS NOT A POVERTY LINE.
    it is just the biceps muscles (there is a group of them) have not "muscled up" so to speak, and that is due to the retriction on the hips (knots)
    now massage away, until you a professional out with you, and discuss what he/she thinks can help you also. it is very important that people do discuss what is the best option for each horse with the therapist of their choice, as photos ARE NOT THE REAL THING.
    [​IMG]
    keep up the good work sugas mum and please do keep us updated on your baby.

cheeki, post away LOL i hope you were brave and did some circle work like troppo and sugars mum

8. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

ooo would you mind if I post a few piccies of coda?
    This is a great thread!

9. smash

smash Well-known Member

lexie go for it, this is open TO EVERYONE !!!!!
    i do hope you try to circle whereYOU think the knots are though, but if you find it to difficult to work out how to put circles on a photo, just post the photos as is.
    cheers

10. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Yep I'm brave :D Just waiting for photobucket to play nicely *taps fingers on desk*

11. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

AH thanks!
    yeah im not sure "how" to.
    Ill put a few up, none are really recent, but I assume if theres knots there, they will still be there right?
    She was getting lunged maybe 3 times a week 6 minutes each time.
    Sorry for so many.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

ahhh bugga lexi, it wont let me make a copy ????
    ok near side,
    has a knot near the pole, a knot running down the back of the shoulder (just down from the wither) and knot on the hip.
    off side,
    has a very small knot in the middle of her neck, small knot on her hip, and there is a rather large knot running from near the point of her rump to her stifle area.

can you see these, sorry i would of circled them (as it is hard to explain the positions) but your face book thingy wont let me copy them to paintshop (for me to do circle work).
    i hope this is helpful

cheeki, photobucket is awefully slow isnt it LOL

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  13. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

This is an awesome thread great idea Smash.
    I would love to put photos of my girl up on here but with her colour it is hard to see her muscles via a photo.
    Have def enjoyed reading this though!

14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Thank you so much Smash for the help. It's only by you seeing what I haven't that I can learn more :)

I will go out to her tomorrow with more thoughts and see how we go. I think that I am likely to be getting out the professional because he can show me a few techniques that I dont know and pick up other things that dont show on the photo.

15. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Thanks heaps!
    what if you click on them, then click on the image again then right click and save as?
    I can see "some"
    Thankyou so much!

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

playing with fire, post away
    cloured horses are always a challenge LOL as are light coloured horses lol
    see if you can see IF your horse as any knots ?
    look forward to seeing some photos
    cheers

17. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Lexi - what a gorgeous horse you have - I just love his legs !

Ok .. here are my lot..

Jed .. 4.5 yr old ottb .. as you may know he has been ill recently, and we're just getting weight back on. Photos dont do his justice!

[​IMG]

And my circlework.. I did forget one circle on his hindquaters, under the 2 already marked, and to the left.
    [​IMG]

And fatness .. lol prepare yourself Smash :p
    Ok first up - yes, she has rubbed her shoulders, and the green indicates there the cotton has ruffled her hair along her neck.. (rug has since been put in the 'when we loose weight' pile lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After her massage (and a few gleeful bucks) I've found her to really open up her front end more and reach forward in the trot, where as 2 days ago (no massage) she was quite choppy and short.
    The one at her crest is quite hard, and she was yawning and falling asleep as I gentley worked there :)

Ok smash .. fire away :D

18. Playin With Fire

Ok this is the only recent semi decent photo I have of her, I'll have to get better ones that show both sides of her neck.
    All I can see is something possibly on her hip but that may just be a muscle :)

My TB mare was waayyy easier to see issues. She had a rough past so was extremely tense. She constantly had a massive knot just down from her poll, down her neck, just down from her wither, behind the saddle and down her butt. I used to get her worked on every couple of weeks and in between I would rub her most days with one of those octopus gizmos.

I'll try dig some photos out of her to show them.

[​IMG]

19. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Thanks Cheeki :)

20. Playin With Fire

[​IMG]

I can't do circles as I'm 'working' so doing this in between 'work'. The above photo shows how tense her neck was when I first started riding her, even when being ridden out bush and on the buckle. Please ignore the clipped out spots on her shoulders from brand hunting.

[​IMG]

Not a great photo (she was trying to help my mum with the picnic lunch!) but it shows the lumps n bumps over her back!