How To Recognize Problem Muscles #1

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by smash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

smash if i take photos of my boy today will you be able to tell me where his sore spots are? itd be much apprecited, i give him little massages from what i lernt in hoofbeats, but it would be better if i knew where he was more sore :)

2. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

How much are these pads and where can I get one from please?

3. astraia

astraia Guest

Argyle stables sell them ;)

4. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

do you know the cost? because id be intrested in buying one :)

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

6. pso

pso Gold Member

Before you rush out and buy a pad (its alot of $$!)- be warned that they are quite difficult to ride on (unless you are as good as smash:p)...And they will not suit every horse and rider...;)
    See if a trial one is available....

7. Mayasmum

Mayasmum Well-known Member

Hi Smash
    This is Swish, my 14 year old TB who raced for quite a few years. I have no specific prob's with him but we have only just moved from the groundwork to the riding stuff recently, so he's probably not being challenged enough yet for any prob's to show up. hope these photos are OK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. smash

smash Well-known Member

thank you mayasmum
    ok the off side
    [​IMG]
    you can see he has a knot in his hip, and the shoulder area, i am showing you that only part of his shoulder is building
    his near side
    [​IMG]
    the top of his neck has some knots, the top of his shoulder has a knot.
    i have also tried show you that only part of his shoulder is building muscle.
    his hip this side is ok.

now it is interesting to see that he does not have knots in the girth area (as this is the most common of knots *between wither and elbow, where the girth would be*) i would "guess" his problems are most likely to be coming from his off side hip, as his "main" problems are the hip and the top of his neck on the opposite side.
    i hope this is helpful mayasmum,
    cheers

9. smash

smash Well-known Member

best you do "try it" first before you buy, as they are not cheep.
    you MUST change your gullet UP a size, to get the benifit, or else you are only doing what all other pads do when you add padding = put more pressure on the sides of ther wither.
    THE IDEA IS TO DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE = take the pressure AWAY from the sides of the wither.
    thanks PSO for reminding me.
    cheers

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

went out to look after my girl this morning and after bandage changing I gave her a massage. She had a very relaxed look on her face afterward :) I followed the massage with some carrot stick stretches.

It will be interesting to see how she goes.

11. Mayasmum

Mayasmum Well-known Member

Thanks smash, that's really interesting. :)

I'll do some "bonding" massage with him..I have a T-touch book somewhere i used to try to immitate (I don't know if you agree with it, it seems to use more 'sweeping' motions like you've suggested earlier).

He's quite a "lazy" horse under saddle, I think mostly because he is a left brain introvert but I can't help but wonder if muscle issues play some role under saddle...or maybe that's just him! (I seriously can't believe anyone could get this horse to race for as long as he did, he hates going fast!)

Also a couple of his previous owners had him buck with them (when being asked to move forward into canter mostly) so now i wonder if there's some muscle reason behind that also? He's a very willing and gentle horse, always tries his heart out to do what I ask in our ground-work.

Anyway, just me thinking "out loud", thanks again!!

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

your welcome mayasmun, and by all means think out load.
    as long as people realise, that massaging and such dose not give your horse a brain LOL
    it is just basically "allowing" your horse to be ABLE to do what you want, it does NOT MEAN that he will Miraculously WANT to do what you want!!!!!!!!!!!
    there is SO MUCH MORE involved, conformation, balacened feed, farrier, training and the likes.
    my post is MORE ABOUT RECOGNIZING a possible limitation, in what your horse can do for you at this point in time.
    it is about just RECOGNIZING that you may require a different warm up techneque on this point in time.
    the hardest thing to EXPLAIN is that a sore horse has a way of moving, so he does not have to use sore muscles. horses have a pain memory, and it takes time and gentle encouragement to NOT THINK it is going to hurt.
    does that make sense.
    it is WHY, ONE SESSION DOES NOT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the weak muscle has to build to strengthen and with the horse use to avoiding using that muscle, it just takes time for the horse to get use to using it.
    it is why it is important to massage BEFORE a ride/training session to get the blood flow going and softening so he is using a softer muscle to start off with.
    then a massage after, to make sure that everything is on track.
    over 2 weeks, the horse stops "bracing" (for lack of a better word) and starts to work/move more freer as his memory of pain gets lesser.
    i hope that makes sense, because i feel like i am rambling, sorry
    cheers

13. madison

madison Well-known Member

Hi Smash, do you recommend any particular types of Massage or courses that we laywomen/men can do to improve our massaging techniques and our awareness of these problems so as to be of more use to our horses

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi madison, their is a section on here that has contacts for different styles under the "massage/physio" and it really is a personal preference on what suits you, or what you find interesting.
    I would not say, one way works better than another way, as they all have very good techniques and all their goals are aimed to release aching muscles and such.
    This is just to help people “check” there horse not “fix” them.
    If you do find a problem, it is best to seek a “professional” to fix it, and get as much info as you can to “maintain” the horse.
    I hope this is what you meant ?

15. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

ok so heres the pics sorry theyre not very good

7yo irishsport horse been in work for about 8 months before that was a paddock ornament

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

He is gorgeous Tilda.....be interesting to see the areas where he has knots:)

17. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

you can get those pads from eb&* (uk) quite a lot cheaper than over here i think!!! they look great

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

AAAHHHH WHITE HORSE !!!!!!!!!
    lol and what a great example of nice muscle tone, THANK YOU TILDA!!!
    this horse is a great example of what to aspire for muscle tone
    ok off side,
    has a small knot in the hip, and a baby knot just behind the shoulder
    [​IMG]
    note how his muscle shoulder is one muscle, and this side of his neck has lovely fluent neck muscles (notice how the muscle doesnt stop and start)
    near side
    small knot below his hip (can be better seen in the other photo that tilda supplied) but used this photo to show his neck knot (once again, just a small little thing)
    notice how he has a "smoothness" about his muscles through out his entire body?
    [​IMG]
    THANK YOU TILDA, this is a lovely horse
    muscles look soft and fluent, and ohhhh how much is this horse loved, look how clean he is LOL
    thanks tilda.
    is anyone game to put up their own photos and circle what THEY think may be a problem or not ???????????? if you are, please feel free to contribute to this thread.
    cheers

19. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

I am trying to pick the knots before i scroll down to check my answers lol. I am ok.....still need lots more practice. I took piccies of my horse today and silly me didnt realise it didnt have the card in it.....sooo cos of my blonde moment i dont have any pics!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  20. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Gosh Im almost jealous of those muscles Tilda! Good job