How To Recognize Problem Muscles #1

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by smash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

Mickleberg

Hi Guys,
    I've found some good pictures of my standy gelding. He's 11 yrs old and he had approx 70 race starts, he has bowed his near side tendon but raced again after he had recovered from the injury. When we first got him we had his teeth done and had his back checked by a chiropractor, he was out where the back of the saddle sits and through his hips. We had problems keeping him sound, he was uneven in the front so we put some shoes of front hooves and that seems to have fixed problem then he wasn't using his back end short in his off side hind so we got a vet out, the vet said that to him he wasn't lame and to keep him in light work and monitor the suitation, we took him into a different vet to get second opinion as i didn't agree with first vet and they flexed him up said straight away that he was sore in off-side hind. Vet said he thought he was sore in his hip but would have to take him up to perth to get x-rays to confirms this. Unfortunatly i do not have the funds to do this so we gave him 4 injections of pentosan over four weeks. His movement improved and he was alot more inclined to actually use his hip and we can now get canter left as before it was pretty much impossible for him to do. I have circled the places where i think there are knots but i may have missed some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Just wanted to say that the ponies are LOVING their massages! Jed is really getting into it (and relaxing .. all .. parts of the body LOL) and enjoys his massage before being worked. I've noticed it's helped a lot with his 'short stride' he has, and he really uses his back more. He's also a lot more forward and willing to move, which is nice!

Hon is now having playful 'yipiee' bucks and canters, and you can see she is moving much more freely. :D

Just wanted to say thanks :) Both horses are improving and it really gives us a bonding time as well :)

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

WOW jessica, that is seriously one nice horse !!!!!
    once again, you have assessed your horse very well.
    he is a lovely balanced horse WOW and looks a treat.
    ok nearside
    [​IMG]
    i actually could not tell if their was any knots in his shoulder due to him being soooooo shinny LOL but have circled the rump area where there is a bit going on. the area in the thigh, (that you have circled both sides) are not knots, they are normal muscle deviation.
    off side
    [​IMG]
    there is a fair bit going on in this side.
    i would definately find someone to help you with those knots and discuss at great lengths what is the underlaying problem.
    it maybe as simple as, it is just a snowball effect from compensating from either the initial injury, the hind leg injury OR there is indeed something to do with his hip or hock?
    it really is a process of elimination, but massaging well help, but wont cure until you find the CAUSE.
    just very impressed with your assesment, please keep us updated on how you go, very lovely type of horse.
    jessica i have also PMed you

cheeki, i am glad both you and your babies are benefiting from your massages. all three of you sound a lot more happy and relaxed together. what more can you ask LOL
    thanks for the update cheeki
    cheers

4. Jessica0368

in your opinion would those knots that are on both sides of his hindquarter be enough to affect his movement?

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

i would say YES jessica, as he would be "limiting" his hind end movement,
    would those muscles make him lame NO !!!
    the underlaying problem would/could cause lameness.
    remember, muscles "warm up" bones dont.
    seriously, that is one hell of a nice horse.
    cheers

6. Jessica0368

well to me that makes sense then as he wasn't actually lame in the back end as in having to use the other leg to compensate for it just wont bring it under him and actually use it.

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

just make sure there is no underlying problem in the hocks/hips, (well skeletal and joints) problems MAY need to be addressed ????
    good luck, and look forward to the updates
    cheers

8. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hi Smash.
    I had the massage therapist out today for Sugar.

Thought you would be interested.

He said that the troubles seem to be related to the saddle. That she was not as reactive as he expected (Three weeks off riding and my massage as well) but that there were definate areas where she needed work.

He adjusted her neck, worked on her hamstrings and girth running down her front legs. It was interesting to watch him working and finding the spots that she was ouchy in. Some of these spots he barely touched before her skin was reacting to him.

She had a spot on her off side flank that was causing refered pain on her on side.

I will go and take some photos tomorrow adn post them. Have also bought a enw saddle Hope that will also help.

The massage guy was pleased that I had been working on her and said that he was sure it had helped her. That massage is as effective but takes longer then what he was doing which was really deep tissue.

It was itneresting to watch her.

There were times when she was clearly upset but the instant he took his hands off she settled. I had a short ride bareback adn the problems trotting are gone so I hope that when I get in teh saddle things will be a lot better.

9. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh thats great sugars mum.
    would love to see updated photos.
    i hope after reading this thread, you found it more easy to discuss the problems you found, and the areas he/she found, and it made it easier for he/she to show you other techniques to keep on top of things?
    it is lovely to read, that things are getting sorted.
    so yes please to some more photos
    cheers

10. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

Hey Smash. Would you please be able to have a look at my boy and see if he has any knots please?? I have only got one side without a saddle on but I do have the other saddle with me riding him.

[​IMG]

This is the other photo.

[​IMG]

Thank you.

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

kyara, thank you for the photos,
    now when you go over your horse where do you think he is sore or fell there is a problem???

12. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

Sometimes he puts his ears back at me when I do his girth up, and then there are other times where he doesnt. So I dont know, I have brushed him all over when he does put his ears (with the girth) and nothing. I was only wondering if he does have any knots.

13. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I give this a 'go' to pinpoint there might be a problem...in those two circles.
    [​IMG]

14. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

I tried to circle where I thought there might be some thing but the photobucket wouldnt load it. Those two spots are where I circled.

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi kyara, thank you for your input, it is much appreciated
    ok, yes definately his girth and near his poll on the off side, but also his hips, shoulder (pin muscles) and beside his wither.
    [​IMG]

oh his off side, neck and hip from what you can see, and would suspect a simular problems on this side as the same on the off side.
    [​IMG]
    he "looks" in the ridden photo, not to be tracking up by a good 4 to 5 feet, so their maybe more to this.
    would definately watch the videos, to get more of a feel to where he is tight or tender, and get someone out, so you can discuss the best options to get those muscles soft and supple again, and ask them what exersices (both in schooling and massaging) that could help him recover.
    hope this helps cheers
    ps, thanks TS good call

16. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

Thank you for your help. I will get some more photo's of my boy on saturday, and see if there is any difference.

17. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Ok, heres some (more LOL) ones of coda....clipped, Im doing stretches and massages, and hopefully its making a difference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (her hindquarter looks funky here, its because shes standing weird)
    [​IMG]
    I think I see one on her shoulder an the top, but bottom of her neck?

18. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

I like this horse Lexie! I think I see a knot behind his hip a little too?

19. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Oh cheers!! thanks
    Hmm yeah maybe?
    Im not sure, lol my eyes get confused wit bone/shine of coat/coat ahahha

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

she is growing lovely lexie,
    she still has the same knots mate, massaging is just getting blood flowing in the muscles. you still have to find someone to help you find the trapped/pinched nerves in those areas.
    by massaging, you are helping the muscles from tightening up and causing more problems.
    once the cause has been found and delt with, you just keep up the massaging/stretching and "checking" to see where they may be tight.
    remember, massaging and stretching do NOT cure, as you need to find the CAUSE of why they have tightened up in the first place.
    she sure is looking healthy lexie, you are doing a wonderful job with her.
    hope this is helpful
    cheers
    ps, look forward to the photos kyara
    cheers