How To Recognize Problem Muscles #1

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by smash, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

Just glad that you all worked out within yourselves in this great debate of Bowen Therapist?, Equine Chiropractor?, Equine Muscle Therapist? or whatever it's called.....without having us Mods to meddle in!*#)

Please try to keep it healthy talks, in agreement or not over something as everyone has their own opinions on this one.

After all it's a great thread!

Have a happy day...

Mod 1 :}

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Spot on Megs **)
    I have always used a professional to treat my horse and I will continue to do so, but reading through this thread has made me look at my horse a little more thoroughly.
    Where as I once would had whipped the rugs off, given the horse a quick brush off and saddled up and headed off, I now stand back and take a good look at the complete picture before throwing any gear on and then do same when a I return from my ride.
    I'm now looking for areas of soreness, or areas where the muscles look tighter and less fluid in there appearance.
    I was once advised by a professional to 'make your grooming mitt your best friend' and use it to massage my horse after a ride.
    This in no way solves all the muscle soreness issues, but it does make my horse more comfortable between visits by a PROFESSIONAL.

So thankyou Smash for opening my eyes a little wider to potential issues.
    Your posts I believe were intended to open the lines of communication between horse/owner & owner/professional therapist and I believe your acheiving that goal :)
    I can appreciate Woki's and Beagle's professional points of view but as you have not once advocated people doing away with the trained professionals and becoming DIY then I see this thread as a win win situation for our equine friends.
    Keep up the good work. **)

Beagle - we stockies do very much appreciate the time that yourself and the other vets give to this site, even if we don't say it in print often enough, but resorting to bagging someone about something as trivial as spelling mistakes......not very professional IMO #(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  3. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Well said ZaZa. I have followed parts of this thread and believe that anything that makes the horse owner think can only be advantageous to horses **)

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

thank you ZaZa
    that was a lovely post and EXACTLY what this thread is here to achieve.
    THANK YOU

5. Hi All!:D
    I've read this thread with great interest and actually can see both parties points of view ( Smash vs Woki and beagle.:D)
    I'll try to be neutral like Switzerland during the World War 2*#) So please don't shoot!:D
    The way I feel (and it is my personal opinion) it is a great thread to teach horse owners to know where and what to look for if a problem arises.:D
    I also feel that I know the reason why Woki and Beagle came into discussion:}, They are both qualified vets with many years of experience and have the knowledge to question the OP, if they know for certain the ifo is incorrect.
    I feel that Smash's point was put across too strongly, it does sound like gospel (but is it?):confused: How would I know???, I am not a vet!
    I personally doubt that problem zones could be so easyly identified by a pic of a standing still horse by only looking at it (on a moving animal and when you can touch it it might be different),
    and knowing first hand that not everything written on the forums and on the net is a CORRECT information, I would like to see OP have some sort of qualifications to back her up.
    lena

6. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Can't resist - will put in my own 2 cents...

I am straddling the fence - an exceptionally high voltage one - and boots are sinking into ooze...*#)

On one side is my delight at observing an artist at work - someone who has passion and talent. It is simply a joy to watch smash's work with horses.
    I have long pondered over the lost art of grooming. Real grooming!!!
    Go back to old books of horse care (when keeping a horse in work was critical to transport and commercial needs).
    You will discover there were many people employed - some called grooms - and they put in a lot of effort and used funny things as wisps etc.
    I wonder if massage is the modern equivalent to this once routine part of keeping horses in good working order?

On the other lies my critical "positivists"* tendency - demanding, as beagle and woki have done, to be accurate and precise and produce evidence.
    Thus I get quite snarky about funny slipped bones etc that seem physically improbable.
    I offer my sympathy to vets on here who, as part of the faceless establishment, often get a lot less credit than the "therapists" for a lot more risk.

Now at risk of self-incinerating, will say I've been inspired to return to Pirsig's Zen
    I'd like to argue a combination of rationality and artistry can potentially enhance the equestrian experience (both human and horse). :)

sinking...
    !!!!!YYYYYYYEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!! :eek:

*see retroremedy's elegant explanation on another thread.

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

please, lena, this is DEFINATELY NOT a smash Vs wokki or beagle.
    JUST THE OPPOSITE !!!!!!!!!
    There is no need for anyone to be shooting anyone.
    THAT IS ALL THIS THREAD IS ABOUT !!!!!!!!
    actually, NO ONE is even disputing this.
    it is your personal opinion and that is allowed, i have no problem with this at all.
    well you see what you see, and if those that are interested, they will investigate this further, others will dismiss it completely. that is there option.
    lena, with all the information on the net, it is still the readers RIGHT to choose what they wish to read or believe.
    lena, if it is not your cup of tea, than it is not your cup of tea.
    cheers

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Thanks for that Trojane, you have beautifully put my own sentiments into the words I didn't have.

Fence-sitting is indeed an art unto itself.

9. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Thank you nannygoat :)
    And now at risk of toppling, I'll add that if all this could be measured -
    and was verified beyond reasonable scientific doubt (another argument) -
    and despite the grace of the practitioner,
    should we be using the "art" word at all? *#)

10. Orlaithe

Orlaithe Well-known Member

Being a scientist and a biologist myself there are parts of Smashes work that I understand and parts that I dont. I have however had great results with my mare since having some in depth conversations with her.

I was lost! I was in despair, I didnt know where to turn and with currently no income I couldnt waste money throwing at different therapists uncessarily. I was worried about having to retire my mare at five years of age. Now I know exactly what her problems are, how bad they are and what to do about them. What's more I have taken a multifaceted approach and had my hand held the whole way by Smash. My mare is probably 80% better in two weeks (She has been sore for around 10 months).

Many many modalities have been poo pooed for eons before being accepted. Many more are still poo pooed. Yet people get results with them. I may be a scientist, I dont understand entirely but I trust Smash and I see results.

What does it matter?? As long as it is helping horses and their people noone, NOONE has anything to nit pick about Smash. She may not be a professional, but she has conducted herself very professionally.

Thankyou Smash.

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Wow Orlaithe...thats really great...good luck wiht your lovely mare...I have a soft spot for the golden kind;)

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

I an so glad to hear that your mare has improved orlaithe, and our conversations were very in depth indeed LOL
    Some will feel that it was I, who gave you direction in an unqualified matter in how best to treat this mare, when my input was purely for orlaithe, to see things on a larger scale, and the important roll, she HERSELF HAD to play, so she could form her own ideas and think not only what she is dealing with at the moment, but have a better input towards the outcome of this mare.
    So I will just point out, that orlaithe worked and discussed the situation WITH A VET AND A CHIRO!!!! And spoke at great lengths with both about her ideas and they then formed the treatment and a more thought out plan that could work to help this lovely mare.
    I just held your hand to give you support at the ability YOU had at understanding your horse, this in turn gave you more to discuss with the “qualified practitioner” of your choice.
    Now you have a great communication with the “professional” and together you are working as one to ensure this mare reaches her potential. as the "professional" treatment alone did not work, it was YOUR input and working WITH the therapist that has got you to where you are today.
    I can not tell you how happy I am to hear that this mare has made a big turn around, I really am so happy that you have found the cause (from the professional) and are well on the way to recovery.
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  13. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

Heya Smash,
    I've been reading this thread with great interest, I've got a 2 yr old mini pony gelding and a 11 yr old standardbred gelding. This is Legs and i was wondering if you could tell me what you think about his muscles i will get some photos of my stb when weather is a bit less foul:)* and i found the thread very imformative and i have learned a great great deal from watching your vidoes and looking at everyone elses pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    p.s if these photo's are not suitable i do have some others.

14. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

wee,eeee Look at that cutie...and my fav colour too:D

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi jessica, what a cutie,
    now what did you find when you went over him ?
    was there or is there something that is worring you to suspect there maybe a problem ?
    please tell us more about him.

16. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

I got him last year in November, and he was a colt and quite naughty and aggressive and he didn't respect or trust people very much. He was nasty towards our other horses and the dogs aswell and he would try to get it over people too. I have been doing some natural/parelli type things with him and he's now gelded. Well when he moves off he is very wide behind, im confident that it is not his feet as i've asked two different farriers for their opinion and they said that there was nothing they could see that would affect his movement the way it is. I don't know much about conformation so am not sure wether the way he is built is causing the way he moves or if its muscular. Also sometimes when i am brushing him or giving him scratches around his girth I can feel like roll of muscle? i think and when i run my hand over it he gets very grumpy trying to bite me. I have circled the areas that i think he may have knots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this photo below the yellow circle i always thought was the outline of his ribcage? but i've always thought that it was in a funny place, if anyone actually knows what it is please explain because i am at a complete loss.
    [​IMG]

17. smash

smash Well-known Member

Well, I MUST SAY that I think you DID A WONDERFUL job of circling and explaining, an I actually feel you that you have assessed your boy with open eyes and honesty.
    THANK YOU.
    So now you have to think of the way you wish to deal with it. You have discussed an issue with the farrier, and he has indicated it is not in that area, GOOD START to elimination process. Now, do you think it could have anything to do with hips, stifle or hocks? I would find a therapist and discuss these options, and make sure you become part of the process and find out what you can do to help to maintain him.
    Thank you
    once again, YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB OF ASSESSING YOUR LOVELY MINI.
    cheers

18. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Thought I would post my photos that this morning Cullen has had his Chiropractic Manipulation & Sports Massage with this therapist lady who is qualified (has MSc BSc MAM) not sure what that means but some of you might know! Used her first time, was impressed!

He has sort of dropped his hip (R) due to compenstating when he injured his hind foot. And tight triceps near the girth (L). All sorted out and he should be right in few days time. He's officially spelled as from today, only doing some floating work then he's off home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. smash

smash Well-known Member

looking good TS, glad everything is going good.
    MSc = Master of Science
    BSc = Bachelor of Science
    MAM = ??? i have no idea LOL
    thanks for sharing your update with us
    cheers

20. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Thanks for that....see I don't have any idea LOL

This lady does pretty much similar to what you do, I just guess everyone is different to what they do with the animals!