How to feed/prepare Chamomile

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Skittle, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Skittle

Skittle New Member

I have been suggested to feed Chamomile to my warmblood as he is a bit of a fruitloop when we take him out and i am just wondering how you feed it and how often? How your horse has responded to it would be nice too :)

2. steph87

steph87 New Member

I've fed 1 cup per day before, most horses will eat the dried flowers if you add it to their normal feed.

3. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

Robert McDowell recommends 4 dessertspoons to one litre of boiling water (fed cooled and spread between feeds), or half a cup of whole flowers per feed.

Personally, I prefer Rescue Remedy.:D

4. Skittle

Skittle New Member

Thanks!! i've been told to feed it everyday as i don't think its nerves he really just doesn't like to work and he will buck and misbehave even at lessons he is not like this all the time though once we are going out regularly he does normally get better you just cannot judge how he will behave on the day whether its at a lesson or a comptetion

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

might be a touch muscle sore skittle.
    they normaly are if they "work" out of it.
    good luck
    cheers

6. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

i have a friend whos horse was the biggest twat when he went out and was much the same one day perfect, next day naughty, one minute perfect next minute EXPLOSION!!! this year she started being more assertive, riding him forward and more often (was riding 4 days a week now rides almost 7) and hes chilled out, its not that he was on too much food either, he basically just got roughage, he just needed to be constantly occupied. had his teeth and back and all the usuals done, he just has a personality that needs to be kept busy... chamomile is a good natural calmative though, if you do find it to work, remember to give him a break every now and again, like maybe a week off it every couple of months, this will help maintain the good results.

7. sarah 84

sarah 84 Active Member

chamomile can be toxic to the liver if fed as a long term option.. but I did find it worked for my tb who used to be very nervous riding in a group. Found that it settled the nerves. Only needed it a few times until he became confident.

8. Doobie

Doobie New Member

I feed a handful per day, soiked in boiling water (to make a tea) and then the whole lot tipped over the feed.

I do not feed for Nervousness, but for other reasons.

Sarah84, where did you learn about the liver toxic element? As Id like to read more.

I do believe Chamomile will swab???

9. SandownLodgeJelks

SandownLodgeJelks Well-known Member

i felt a small differnece when feeding this but hardly anything. i think something like tranquil, good as gold, rescue remedy would be far more suitable if its only for when u take him out.

10. sarah 84

sarah 84 Active Member

forgot to reply to this post. sorry :p

I read it in a equine herb reatment book, it caught my eye as I was using chamomile at the time.

There is also some info on the net if you google it.

11. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

This is often the case with lots of horses Smash but not many people think of it!!
    Chamomile can be fed as dried flowers or soaked as a tea. I would recommend 1 cup per day in the feed. Chamomile is very mild & a nutritive, but if you are worried about toxicity feed only for 12weeks which is a full blood cycle. If it hasn't worked by then it won't work!!
    Yes Chamomile has the possibility to be swabbed but they are more concerned about stronger herbs such as valerian.
    Rescue Remedy is also excellent and can be fed at the same time :p

12. tangles09

tangles09 New Member

how do i use chamomile

my horse is a wind sucker and i was told to use chamomile to help stop him but not sure how to do it or where to get it from ...........can anyone offer any suggestions

13. STANCER

STANCER New Member

Placid Rein is very popular. Do take care that some herbs will swab.

14. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I've always known chamomile for digestion. I've never heard it being toxic.
    But if it's toxic to the liver, then how can it be good for digestion?

If someone has info about this, i'd sure love to read it, as i feed it for digestion.

But yeah, i ust buy a bag from the stockfeeder, and chuck it into the feed as is, from the bag.
    But I've noticed that chamomile is hard to get in whole dried flowers at the stockfeeders anymore. The few stockfeeders i visit only have them in the 'seeds' (you know what i mean, whatever they are, lol).