How often should a horse wee??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Chino22, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Chino22

Chino22 New Member

Sounds like a silly question but Ive read so many different things from once a day to five/seven times a day? I've recently seen my horse wee'ing a little more often than I thinks normal for him around four times yesterday, three times that I seen today. Wee looks normal smells normal, his food intake and water intake seems the same. I'm a little unsure weather to worry yet? I'm watching him closely for change but thought Id see if there was anyone with experience in this area.

2. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Green grass has a high water content at this time of the year, might be just a little more water running through her system.

Out of time weeing would probably concern me more. My mare and weanling always wee as dinner is being made - if they didn't I'd be concerned.

3. Chino22

Chino22 New Member

Thank you yes it's very wet and green out there! I didn't really think of that :)

4. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

I've got one that wees every time he sees me! He obviously thinks I'm about to work him or put him on the float and he'd be more comfortable with an empty bladder!
    I wouldn't be worried unless he is straining or there is interrupted flow which could mean he has a bean and needs a clean out!

5. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

My gelding is shocking.. Always wees in the float and I reckon he prob wees about 5-7 times per outing :cry: It is disgusting and my float stinks regardless of the fact that I bleach it prior to putting it away #(

He has always wee'd that frequently though and I would be worried if he didnt.. he is a gross lil grot!

6. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Totally off topic, but bleach won't help remove the urine smell PB, and will probably make it worse!

Hose the float out with water, give it a wipe with a mop to help it dry off a bit (not the one you use on the kitchen floors! lol) and then sprinkle 'lime powder' (powdered lime) over the entire floor and leave to dry. When dry, just sweep off.

Some people probably use mixtures of bi-carb, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar etc, but the lime powder seems to do the trick.

7. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I will try this, I bleach it to get rid of germs :dry: Im the bleach queen!

The smell is so strong in there, everyone comments :cry: Its embarrassing

8. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

I am going to try the lime powder. I have been using a product from the pet shop for dogs and cats to get rid of the urine smell.

9. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Just don't get the lime powder on your lawns or plants! It could kill 'em! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013