How often does your pony see the dentist?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by montygirl, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Hon is getting her chompers checked on Monday .. I don't think they've been looked at for years .. this'll be fun.

2. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

heya guys, I was wondering if anyone could pm me the number for a well recommended dentist, would prefer power tools as I have generally been happier with the results... and needs to be able to come to southern river.
    Thanks guys!!! =)
    I used to get all my horses done each year... but my old boy had to ahve his done every 6months coz theyre wernt so great...

3. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Every 6 month, and no powertools for us thanks. Just my trusted vet.:D

4. Our rescues get done as needed (eg Vee got done once, then 4 months later, now due in 6 months), my own horse is annually as his teeth have always been well looked after, youngsters I'd get looked at every 6 months particularly as they lose their caps and oldies, say 15 plus I have looked at every 16 months.

5. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

I have mine done once a year by a horse dentist that uses a gag & torch to properly deal with things. For the fist year & a half of having my TB he got done every 6-8 months, then the dentist said he only needs to be done once a year. I get a written explination of everything, including missing teeth, burrs etc etc. This goes straight into their folder where all their worming records & vet records are kept. If the dentist says that any of mine need to be done more regularly then I will do what he reccommends.