How often does your pony see the dentist?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by montygirl, Nov 16, 2007.

1. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

I use Rachel as my dentist and I reckons she is AWESOME! considering she has to work with the biggest "girl" out - she calls Mont a Pansy... *#) He was last done just over 8 months ago and I've noticed lately that he is starting to get very messy with his feed, dribbling his carrots EVERYWHERE! and he has become resistant and heavy in the hand. I'm probably going to get her out again soon, but I was interested to know how often people get their horses teeth done. I was told when I bought Mont that he had to religiously get his teeth done EVERY 6 months, but that was with a wrasp, with a powertool I can get a few more months out of him. I was also told (can't remember who), but I was told that a horse that is in full work should get their teeth done 6 monthly... is that right?

2. pso

pso Gold Member

I use rachel too!:)*
    Mine get done every 6 months...

3. ChillOut

ChillOut Well-known Member

I think it depends on the individual and also whether they get a lot of roughage to eat.
    Mine get done once a year or even a bit longer inbetween. Difficult to judge since you only have the dentist to tell you :D

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Our horses are done once a year without fail from 2 yrs old.

Janet:)

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Once a year.

I use to start having their teeth done around the 2yo mark, but Jet has his 1st teeth floating at 10mths of age & had very sharp hooks so it goes to show you have to always keep an eye on how well they eat & young horses need doing as well (same as trimming feet as a foal ;)).

6. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

What do you do with your horses? riding wise?

Mont is in full work and I was just wondering if perhaps he should be done more regularly than a year. I know my horse and I'm certain that he is trying to tell me that his teeth are sore! Worse case I get her out and he doesn't need them done!;)

7. pso

pso Gold Member

Mine are dressage horses...
    Ask rach! She'll tell you if she thinks they need doing more often! If you are just doing lower level riding, once a year should be fine tho! (unless the horse has a specific dental problem that needs more regular maintenence...):))

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

mine get done annually :) every December - as thats when i generally have money lol Lucy;s teeth were done may or something and the dentist checked B and said there were great.

9. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

Ours are done every six to eight months:D

10. flash

flash New Member

Mine got done yesterday actually, and gets done once a year. He was actually a bit overdue (couldn't have the dentist out cos of horse flu) and his teeth weren't at all bad.

Don't think riding level has much to do with it... my guy is a Prenov eventer in work 6 days a week, he gets his done once a year, same as the 1* and 2* horses at our stable. It depends more on how good their teeth are to begin with, any specific problems etc.

But yeah, once a year here, unless there's something obviously wrong.

You know your horse best though!

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i think also young and old horses need them done more frequently then mature but not elderly horses.

12. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Every 6 months.... by Tim, or Adam...:)

13. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I have had Kia's done every 6 months from 2 and will probably get them done again in 6 months and then shift to every 12 months. When they are young its better to get them done a bit more regular.

I have also had bad stories on power tools, anyone had any experience with them?

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Buckleys teeth were done by Rachel with power tools - she did a great job both times :))

15. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

Twice a year, done by my farrier...who does a wonderful job :) I dont do alot of riding with him, but i just think its kinder and like to keep him at bay.

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

once a year by my vet.

17. beau

beau Well-known Member

The older ones and performance horses get done every six months the others yearly.

18. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I use Rachel too, by far the best ;) I get her out once a year

19. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

My farrier does mine once a year, in fact they are due next time he comes out.

Cheers

Bec

20. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My dentist told me to do Tilly every six months, as she is only 5 and in work, and the little fellow every year, as he is 12 and that is apparently adequate for him. I will be getting them both done again when I come back to Perth anyway, I will get them a full yearly check up - bloods, drench, teeth.