How Much Oil is too much ?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Dollar, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

I have our horses/ponies/yearlings on RBO Oil and they get between 1/2 cup to 1 cup per day, but have spoken to others that feed two cups plus a day. Can you give them too much ?

2. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

The amount of oil you can give is limited by palatability. Horses will refuse to eat it if there is too much oil - and each horse is individual so experiement and see **)

3. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Horses (and ponies lol) need time (approx 3 months) for their metabolism to adapt to a high fat diet (15+%) . Also, something to be aware of is that approximately 350ml of oil has the equivalent energy of 1Kg oats.

My horse happily eats 700ml oil (he's 16.3hh though) which is about 20% of his diet (energy wise).

ETA: You also need to be careful with balancing high fat diets - they can reduce the effects of some minerals/vitamins.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

My horse gets 400ml of canola oil per day, plus 400gr of canola meal. It did take about 3 weeks for him to adjust to the taste and for me to introduce it to the levels he has it now, but it really has made a difference to his coat and weight, I fully recommed it.

Sim

5. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I feed george about 2 - 2&1/2 cups of sunflower oil a day he seems fine his coat is nice and shiny helps with weight...

6. pso

pso Gold Member

mine gets 700ml too**)

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I can imagine that the roughage/energy-fat ratio would be limiting as well. If you are feeding a great deal of oil (which by nature is high in energy) you would be struggling to providewhat is needed in other area's of the diet.

I know that I am limited in feeding by the availiable energy in the pasture or even Hay that is provided.

If fed anough roughage in the diet necessary, I would be peeling the horses of the stable roof......as I like feeding oil :)

I have a horse here at the moment that is needing the extra provided by the oil - but my other priority is keeping her roughage VERY high - as is important with a horse in very poor condiditon, and it also appears to be the absolute undeniable crux of her condition.

Also - due to her current condition , I am reluctant to over feed high energy feed as the condition of her digestive system is in question, and keeping her in a balanced mental state is of utmost importance to enhance the uptake and digestability of what is provided to her

...so that balance is between the perfect energy provision for her......and the cons that come in the same drum as the oil.

I hope that made some sense **) lol! )

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  8. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

YES you can give them to much oil

friends horse died from cod liver oil poisioning due to to much oil.

unsure how much he was getting and he was 16.2hh+ i believe

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I think the overdose of codliver oil would relate to Vit A toxicity. That is a killer and Cod liver oil contains large amounts of it.

10. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

something like that im not sure as i was alot younger at the time

11. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Too much oil tends to lead to diarrhea. And each horse's limit will be slightly different. I feed up to 500ml per day (over 2 feeds) of RBO and haven't had any problems.

12. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. Now i have to go and measure how much mine are getting in ml's to compare. I just been giving some a cup a day and the littler ones a 1/2 cup. They all seem to be doing fine on it.

13. mistress72

mistress72 Active Member

well we are on the subject, who knows where I can buy the cheapest oil in bulk? thanks

14. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

What type of oil do you want?

15. pso

pso Gold Member

I want canola sleek- U know anywhere? I currently pay $3/L:))

16. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

I have just starting feeding RBO oil 1 cup a day over 2 feeds. I will build it up.

I brought RBO (human grade) 20L from Mandurah Packageing for $61 yesterday.

Dollar, 1 cup is 250ml

17. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

You can buy most oils from FAL in 20L containers.
    RBO is about $67 at FAL, so Mandurah Packaging is a bit cheaper for that oil;-)

18. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

I buy my oil from the supermarket @$7 for 2 ltrs. Currently feeding 250ml per day, i think i may up it though....

19. Lucky13

Lucky13 New Member

Just be aware that horses don`t have a gallbladder- and canot prosses too much oil. 2 cups a day is MOORE than enough!!!!!!! It takes about three months before the horse can turn oil into energy-- before the metabolism "recognize" oil as an energy sorce-- and the best oil to use is sunflower oil- u can by them at any store----other oils don`t have the palatability-- horses can`t use other oils and their bindings as well as sunflower....

But when the body ha started to use the oil it`s a very good and slow source of energy!! =) low- karb!!!!!

20. pso

pso Gold Member

welcome Lucky!

Doesnt Sunflower oil have a poor Omega 3:6:9 balance though?:confused: