How much does it cost you?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Tallarook, Jun 1, 2011.

1. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Ha ha ha ha, I opened the thread trying to think what I paid today and it's the same as you sans the eqilibrium...handy!

Jack is a great doer so lots less that $25pw. More like $10-15

2. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

costs me about $4.40 a week to feed a 19month old Clydesdale colt..he is on 23 acres 24/7 of beautiful lush grass..and he is currently too fat

Hygain Grotorque @32 bag lasts 12 weeks(2.65)

mixed chaff @28 bag lasts 16 weeks(1.75)

so with floods,cyclones and hendra aside:p..my boy is just THRIVING here in QLD, couldn't be more happier with the way he looks right now,fat, shiny and healthy..:D

3. peppi

peppi Active Member

Ahh proper grass yes you lucky person...I looked with envy at it when I was down your way a little while back and man the saving on the hay bill...!
    Reminded me of the UK and my much cheaper feed regime due to having heaps of grass...you cant beat it really its what they are actually meant to eat not the stuff we compensate them with...

4. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

makes you really appreciated the value of access to good pasture 24/7 doesn't it, when I read all these varying feed bills. Wow. rather interesting - no wonder they say if you own horses you'll be broke!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Yes have to agree since moving to a very grassy property (upside of living on wetlands lol) I only feed hay at night in the stables.

Horse is far happier mentally and glowing physically. It must be better for their gut also, digesting moist grass rather than dry hay all the time.

Saves tons on hay!!!!

6. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I would love more land, but 6.5 acres is it at this stage. I have given away doing agistment now. I have my 2 old clients but once they move on that is it. THey both help around the place a bit so i dont mind for them.

IT costs me $50 pw in hardfeed and hay to feed a 14h pony, i dont even want to think about a big hack.

I have been charging: $165pw
    Less $50 pw in feed
    Less $5 power to lights for stables and arena use
    less $5 sawdust

That leaves me $105 divided by 7 days is only $15 per day, that is without taking anything out for fertilizer, power to run bore to keep paddocks grassed, or cost towards breakages/damage to fences etc from agisted horses.

So for less than $15 a day profit, that doesnt pay myself much of a wages by the time i rug/unrug, muck out, handling etc. And there is nothing in it for the inconvenience of having people on my property either.

God knows how you lot who run agistment for less than what i was are making any money at all. Unless you had more acerage you could run the horses on its just not worth the costs!

7. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

200 acres is good :) however i do still hard feed and hay (small amounts) al year- about $10-$15pw per horse depending on the individual- and i do have a few!

8. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

ooohhhh 200 hundred acres - jelous much!!!

9. branwyn_ponies

branwyn_ponies New Member

Sorry not for large horses but $100 pwk to feed 7 ponies from 10-14hh.

10. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

Mirawee, I find the weigh tapes really good if you measure the length and girth of each horse and do the equation - sorry, I can't remember off the top- of my head what it is...)
    At our pony club we got a small set of animal scales in and put all the horses over it. The weigh tape was only 10kg different for my pony and for the other pony I had guestimated about 20kg over her actual weight.

As for feed. I bought a load of rounds in at the begining of the season and got a small amount of square bales off my own land. I pick hay off the round balesand feed that way. Each one lasts about 4 1/2 weeks. I feed 1 16hh TB, 1 arab deriv pony and 2 small v good doer ponies off this. My last round lasted 5 weeks!! I'm in the Harvey area so even though I'm only on 5 acres I have some green pick. All are fat and healthy.
    just worked out that this on the price I paid for the rounds costs me $12 a week to feed 4 horses. The Tb eats half of this and the others share the rest between them (this was throught the summer too!!!)_

They get small hard feeds too. chaff, whole lupins, vit/min supplement. All up that prob costs me approx $100 per month for hard feed plus the cost of hay above. That's about $160 a month for 4 horses!!! My neddies are very cheap!!! (It really helps having 2 ponies that get fat of the thought of the small of the oily rag!!!) The arab deriv is a vvv good doer too!! :D