How much does it cost you?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Tallarook, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Ok, I'll bite and chuck my feeds up here :p

*No I won't, it's not a welcome part of the conversation ;)*

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

my big heap costs around 10 bucks a week..having 23 acres of good grazing helps ALOT!!! i thought this thread was about how MUCH it COSTS to feed your horses? not what they eat?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Maddog 29

Maddog 29 Well-known Member

Re Sweet Chaff

Brigadoon are around the $18 mark, but might have to check out Gnagara;)

4. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I reckon i'm sitting around the $60pw mark. I haven't worked it out properly, everytime i open a new bag of something i forget to write it down, so i'm not 100% sure how long stuff lasts.
    My boy's 16.2, doing bugger all in a large paddock with decent green pick.

I feed about 4 bics hay per day, so that's about what... 2.5 - 3 bales per week? But if he's eating everything and picking up scraps, he gets more. And if he's wasting it, he gets less. But let's round that up to $30pw.
    Then lucerne chaff. I don't know how long a bag lasts, maybe 3-4 wks. That's another $5pw.
    Speedibeat should be lasting about 5-6wks. Are the bags 20 or 25kg? if 20, then it's another $10pw.
    Oil lasts 7wks, so + $10
    Then all the supps.

5. sil

sil Gold Member

8 horses, $370 a week in feed, so roughly $46 per horse per week

6. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

';':confused: well sorry!!!! was just joining in the convo *#)

7. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Sweet Chaff is a 30kg bag, which is heavier than Chaff (lucky if they weigh 25kg), so at $15 a bag as opposed to $20 to $25 bag for chaff, is a much cheaper alternative if you have good doers who don't need calories but need to be filled up so they don't eat sand. I've been picking mine up from Oakford in my weekly lesson travels as none of my local stockfeeds were stocking it? Haven't been into Brig for a while, Bob's been looking after me rather well :p

I pay $13 a bale for oaten hay, and use 1 a day at the moment, so 7 bales per week, plus 1 bale of meadow hay ($11.60). 1 bag of copra (20kg) per week, 1 bag of flaked lupins (25kg) per week, 1 bag of oats (35kg) per fortnight. 2 bags each of oaten and lucerne chaff a week, 2 bags of sweet chaff per week. That feeds 6 horses of various sizes/breeds/ages (14h to 16.2h), keeps them in show condition whether in work or not. Supps are extra, I also feed ACV, Equilibrium and dolomite. I don't believe in doing full board and only feeding chaff, pony cubes and hay ;) (I have 4 pupils currently boarding with me) I budget $40-$50 per week into their agist fee for feed :))

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Wow I pay $26 a bag!

I must start buying from Perth more often!

9. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

For lupins??? THAT is highway robbery.. I think its about $15 at the stockfeeds down the road from me.
    It couldn't cost over $10 per bag in transport?? Owch.

10. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Depends on type of lupins and weight of the bag.. I buy 40kg of whole lupins for $28.. I think flaked for a 25kg bag is $15 odd bucks..

11. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Ohh true..

12. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Mirco Bros in Neerabup have a few bags in at the moment. Pretty sure they were $18.

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Oaten Chaff comes in 30 and sometimes 35kg bags;)

14. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

HOLEY BATMAN! no wonder lupins are so popular in WA as a horse feed, just been looking into using them here - priced yesterday at $36.50 for cracked and $25 for micronised.

We're paying $30 for a 25kg oaten chaff and good lucerne chaff has been the same, but now hearing of people paying $40 - 45.

15. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

are you buying micronised??

thats the price fro micronised barley

steam rolled is around the $15 mark **)

im paying $20 for 40kg whole lupins and $10 for 25kg oats **)

although with 7 or 8 horses, that does not go far at all lol**)

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

my horses cost about $50 in hay between them / week

plus about $50 in chaff & lucerne
    about $15 in pony cubes
    about $7.50/week in sweetbulk

so about $120 between them in feed. YIKES.

and it's too early for me to work out the supplements; whey, canola, equimin, salt (the cheapest of course!), chamomile & MSM.

17. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

My two big horses (one retiree, one in light work) get sweet chaff, muesli, speedibeet and their vit/mins plus 2 biscuits of hay at night.

my 4 show minis are on sweet chaff, hay and chaff replacer cubes and 1/3cup of hygain zero plus vit/mins. No hay as that is what the cubes are for.

So roughly i use 3 bales of hay a week @12 = $36
    Barley straw roll in paddock( buy 6 at a time last 8 weeks) 1 @33 = $33
    Sweet chaff 2 @ 15 = $30
    Museli 1 @ 21 = 21
    Hygain Zero(bag lasts 8 weeks) 1 @ 33 = $4.25
    Speedibeet (bag lasts 3 weeks) 1 @ 41 = $13.67
    Hay/chaff replacer cubes 1 @ 13.50 = $13.50
    Vit/Min(last 2 weeks) 1 @ 28 = $14

So roughly works out at $27.57 a horse/mini. they are on 13 acres which has some feed but are locked into sand paddocks at night. They are only feed at night as they have the hay roll during the day. Lucky i dont have to pay agistment.:p Mine all have beautiful coats and just the right amount of weight on them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  18. dezi2095

dezi2095 New Member

We goe through
    5 biscuits of barley a night
    3 biscuits of lucerne
    3 biscuits of grassy

1kg of Hygain Release
    3kg Soy
    2kg Millrun
    3kg Chaff
    1kg Hygain Balanced
    0.5kg of Hygain Honey Bee
    7 scoops of Equine Chia

Soo
    35 biscuits of Barley a week @$8 bale = 4.5 bales = $36
    21 biscuits of lucerne @ $14 bale = 2.5 bales = $35
    21 biscuits of grassy @ $5 bale = 2.5 bales = $12.50

7kg Release @ $36 for 22.5kg = $11.2
    21kg soy @ $35 for 40kg = $18.3
    14kg millrun @ $15 for 20kg = $10.5
    21kg chaff @ $23 for 25kg = $19.32
    7kg Balanced @ $36 for 20kg = $12.6
    3.5kg Honey B @ $34 for 22.5kg = $5.2
    21 scoops of equine chia @ 59c per scoop = $12.39

= $173.81!!!!!!!! shit! I regret adding all this up now. That is between 4 working horses, 1 yearling, 1 empty broodmare, and 1 broodmare heavily pregnant.
    But then again - they are all bloody thoroughbreds! minus the yearling who im sure only consumes about $1 of feed a week and is as fat as.
    I should just go back to riding ponies!

19. glam

glam New Member

wow hay is cheap there

it's $19.95 a bale in the produce here both in toowoomba and in Bundy:( thankfully i dont need alot of hay due to the rain so heaps of feed in the paddocks.

I pay $14.50 for copra
    oil from aldi
    flaked barley $17.50 for 25kg

plus equilibrum

and lots of grass

so probably $25 a week for poor doer 15hh

20. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

My 16.1 w/blood mare costs me $45/week on food. chaff (1 bag lasts 1.5 weeks), cubes (lasts 2 weeks), vitamin suppls and 3 biscuits hay a day. Plus she is out on paddock 10 hours day. :D