How long..

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by JessiTrist, Dec 12, 2007.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

How long is too long, or not long enough?

Chickie is going out to spell within the next week, and Im just interested to hear some ideas on how long I should leave her to spell for. She is 1 year old, and still very babyish, can see her taking a long time to mature.

I dont have any plans for showing her in-hand in 2008, and to be quite honest I dont really mind if I dont get her out in-hand until she is 3 or so.

I was thinking of putting her out for 6 months, but the more I think about it, the more I think she should stay out maybe a bit longer.

Having had no experience with spelling horses, at all, I am just after some opinions. And also, what can I do with her when I bring her back in, because she is pretty well trained at the moment, leads, ties up, picks up feet etc has been out on trail walks, and been ponied off of our older horse too. I am just worried she might forget all this, but am prepared to start from scratch when I bring her back in anyways.

Just after some thoughts, or ideas. Thanks!

2. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

That is great that she has had all of that groundwork :)*
    Is she being put out with a herd? It is my opinion that all youngsters need 12 months running with other horses so that they learn horse language.
    She won't forget her handling, she will just need a refresher course, but will be a much happier horse for her time off :)

3. GypsyRose

GypsyRose Well-known Member

Hi Jess, i've had my filly out for nearly a year now, i have my own place with a big paddock and two other horses. Pretty much did nothing with her, just every so often i would go out and handle her, brush her and what not, just to keep her from getting too feral, lol!

I think it can do them the world of good just letting them be horses. I have only just brought mine back in now, she's two now, to get ready for shows and possibly going to be broken in march/april if she's ready.

If you want to put her out, if you can try and find a paddock mate for her (if you havent got one already), i've found that they are much better horses in the long run if they are left to be just horses for a while.

Do so and just handle her very so often, unless you fell she needs more, if you do see her just go and hang out with her, sounds funny i know, but just give her cuddles and pats and talk to her.

There's nothing wrong with leaving her out for a year or even longer, as long as you do the occasional handling, you've got her for a very long time, and there's no point in making them sour, especially at this age, take your time and just enjoy her. You will find that when you do bring her in for work after, that she will be a much happier and more willing horse.:)

Sorry for the long reply!

Good luck and have fun with her!!:)

4. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

Hi Jess

I have had Dusty my 5 yr old Anglo on spell for 4 months now, he is definitly a late maturer and I am hoping that he will come back in a bit more mature. He had a full on year so I thought a good 2 months would do him wonders, my situation changed in the meantime though and I found it easier to keep him on spell while I brought a house etc and got moving out of the way.

He is handled only to get his feet done (twice so far as he's unshod) and he has human contact everyday twice a day. Yes I will have to start from the start with his muscle tone but as he's on a big hilly paddock and fat and happy I think it's a small price to pay :)

I think with your baby you should put her out for 6 months, then go from there, if your in the situation where you can bring her in for a few weeks handling, then it's probably not a bad idea... You could always turn her out again after a week or so..

Some real "Horse Time" I think goes along way in their growing up process.

:))

5. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Hey Jess,

I have sent Tess on Spell too!! she is in a paddock with another baby same age, personally i am going to leave her until Feb, do a show here and there with her and then put her back out. She is still getting 1 x hard feed everyday and has a hay roll, shortly they will move her with her boyfriend into the 10 acre paddock.

Time to be a horse is great for them.

6. JessiTrist

Thanks guys, she is going into a big hilly paddock, with natural water sources and fantastic grazing. She will be with a few two year olds and some older horses aswell, a medium sized herd i suppose.

I am thinking along the lines of GypsyRose, and very grateful for everyone elses input aswell. I will leave her out for 6 months and see how she goes, will visit when I can, and she will have human contact for farrier/worming etc etc. I know she is in the BEST hands where she is going, and wont have to worry at all. I think a year for her would be great, but I dont want to start her til she is at least 3 and a half or four, as she is such a big horse.

If I bring her out at 2 for a few weeks refesher, maybe some shows, I can always put her back in spell for a while afterwards??

I will just take things as they come, but thank you all for your point of view, and expereinces. Has really helped my decision :)

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Spell her for as long as needed.... for as long as you need. :)

Jet is a 2yo (well 2yrs, 4mths), he's served 5 mares & his last show was 5th Nov.
    He's on spell now out the farm with 2 mares & a gelding, possibly for 12mths.
    But then im not fussed about showing him, i just want him to breed babies! (if he doesnt sell in the mean time ;)).

Malakye, that Jocko now owns, was turned out straight after the 2005 Perth Royal, for 4mths.
    He was shown nearly every Perth Breed Show & being a 2yo colt, he was becoming very sour.
    4mths out with a mare (Tarah, that he bred), was by gar the best desicion i made, he was re-freshed!

I'd spell her for 2mths atm, depends if you want to show her or not, then go either 4 or 6mths.
    But she hasnt done much showing/work, so even 3 mth spell is fine, as its short & sweet.....

8. JessiTrist

Thanks Kylie, Im not all that keen on showing her in-hand at all, theres just nothing out there for her breed.

She is getting sour, she still loves human interaction, but I can just tell its the right time to put her out.

I also think I need some time just to re-asses some things going on in my life too, and dont want to take my worries out to the horses.

I think a 6 month - 12 month spell is just what we need.

9. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

jayke bas been out for 4ish months, hes enjoying it but loves attentnion to, he never forgot anything at all, he was untouched for 2 months, and now handled every fortnight ish. but will be brought back in soon

10. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

When my big fella was a baby(6mnths - 2yrs) he went out with other horse his age and slightly older (1 yr older) and stayed out there until he was the age of 2, i then bought him home for 4 months and then he went out again with older bigger horses for another 4 months.

The more and longer you put your baby out, the better he/she will become later in life in ridden suituations and through shows and then out on spell with other horses!