how do you get a buckskin

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by primrosecourt, May 19, 2009.

1. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

if the stallion is buckskin what are the best coloured mare to use to have a good chance of producing a buckskin

:)

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

a Cremello ?? :confused: lol or would that be a double dilute ?

Cheers
    Lee

3. samm

samm Gold Member

A homozygous bay.

4. primrosecourt

Ok probably should have wrote as-
    what colour would you not use to try and create a buckskin.
    I am asking as I have just been told that you need grey or black??
    I would have thought Grey is a defo no no?

5. primrosecourt

Is that a bay who is by a bay o/o a bay??

6. homozygous for black gene
    bred over a homo perlino.**)
    lena

7. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

It means a bay that doesnt carry the recessive red gene.
    Some bays can be by a bay, out of a bay, and still carry a recessive red gene if one of the parents do.

8. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

Interesting thread here! I am going to breed my black mare to a dun this year...what chances to I have of a dun/buckskin?

The mare has produced two black foals and a brown to a black, brown and a mahogany bay.

9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I dont know about how much chance of getting a dun, but youve got no chance of getting a buckskin. Need a dilute gene somewhere for that.

10. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Don't ask me my guy just seems to do it all on his own regardless of mares colour in most cases :)

11. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

We got a dun/grulla (had dorsal stripe, leg and ear bars) from pali X gray.

but..

Pony is still graying out and is refered to as the donkey cause her colour looks like it haha.

She still has her dorsal stripe last time i checked, but im not sure about the barring, she will be an interesting colour if she goes gray and still has the stripes/barrs hehe

12. alexander

Thanks kiraspark...but I thought a dun was a dilute???:confused:

13. samm

samm Gold Member

Dun is dilute but a different dilution gene to cream which produces buckskin.

14. alexander

Thanks samm! A dun/grulla dressage pony would be really nice! The stallion is a Highland Pony and the mare a small Trakehner.

15. torridonequine

torridonequine Active Member

dun or buckskin

I put my 2 dun mares to the Dun highland pony Montgomery and 1 dun and 1 buckskin . I also put a bay mare to him and got a buckskin . I have been told that chestnut almost quarentees colour so this year i am going to breed two gorgous chestnut tb mares to him may get palaminos who knows . you have a 25% chance in anycase

16. Hi Alexander:D
    you'd have more chance to get a buckskin or dun out of your mare if she was a homozygous for Aguti gene (AA), but she is not, she is obviously heterozygous (Aa) (throwing blacks, browns and bays). AA horses will always throw bays or buckskins.
    lena:D

17. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

Just had a quick read of "Horse Colour Explained by Jeanette Gower" :}
    you have to keep in mind that there are 5 types of buckskin, Cream, Standard, golden, sooty and black. (the black type can apear to be more black than buckskin)
    She states that Buckskin bred to a bay or brown which has never produced a chestnut foal will reduce the chances of palomino or chestnut.
    buckskin bred to deep red bay will not produce cremello or perlino.
    An AaAa bay is best as this gives a deep gold buckskin.
    Perlino or cremello bred to homozygous bay will give buckskin 100% of the time.
    The action of the diluting gene is to lighten all brown or reddish pigments to yellow or gold while leaving the black hairs unaltered, so a bay with rich black legs will produce a buckskin with rich black legs, a bay with light black points will produce buckskins with tan or chocolate points.

Its quite confusing but from all that I would say not to breed with a grey as the dilution would have to dilute the grey hairs and then make them lighter still- perlino???? Not chestnut either as you may just get a chestnut. So go the deep red bay with nice black points and you have a decent chance....:)*

18. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Its quite confusing but from all that I would say not to breed with a grey as the dilution would have to dilute the grey hairs and then make them lighter still- perlino???? :confused:

Ummmmmmm, I have absolutely NO idea what you're trying to say here:D No dilution gene 'dilutes' grey hairs **). Other way round in fact - GREY turns all coat colour pigments grey or white. All grey horses are born a colour; some go grey very quickly whilst others take years. So, a dilute carrying grey will be born dilute but turn grey. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can override the effects of grey - if a horse carries grey it WILL go grey. Even double cream dilutes (cremello & perlino) are not exempt; the only difference with them is that because their skin is pink and their coat pigment very light or already white the effects don't show up as readily and in some grey can only be detected by DNA testing or grey progeny from non-grey partners. The darker ones do go stark white though and any white markings they may have had at birth disappear.

If a grey is used in a dilute breeding program and you want at least a 50% chance of a non-grey foal then it has to be heterozygous otherwise every single foal will go grey regardless of whether they are born dilute or not.

19. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

...put a pally in a muddy paddock;):)*

20. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

That means I have paddocks full of buckskins then :D