How bits work

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by GoneRama, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

Thanks BitBankAustralia - i had heard but didn't know what the other ways were

QUOTE=GoneRama;1383001]What's the three different ways you can use it :confused:[/QUOTE]

im not sure what they were, i had heard that you could, we have the pee wee and soxy usually goes quite well in it but was a bit curious what the other ways were

2. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

My horse is in a simple sweet iron snaffle and it is thick. I tried a french snaffle but he didn't like it. I know nothing about bits but listened to my instructor. Is the sweet iron snaffle a good gentle bit? I must add that I hardly use my hands as he is very responsive to core strength and stops on me exhaling and also opening my inside knee and body position for change of direction. would love someone knowledgeable to help :)

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I used to start all the youngsters down home in a loose ring sweet iron snaffle Jodles ;) It is a lovely soft simple bit in my opinion :))

4. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Thanks GoneRama :) he is a soft old sweetie and I use him to teach the young girls how a soft horse feels and how it is not hands but position. Will stay with this bit :0 I LOVE this thread and a girl at my agistment is changing bits so will get her to read this. Her horse is very hot and holds her head high, they have tried a pelham and said she is much softer

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Jodles- I go between a loose ring sweet iron and an egg butt sweet iron on my boy. Both the exact same mouth piece but the egg butt is 1 mil thicker i think could be 2 mils.

My loose ring is fairly thin were as the egg butt is a more "traditional" bit size.

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

rightio here's one we haven't done.......

[​IMG]

7. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Oh I saw this at a horse-shop about 2 weeks ago .. scary in real life as it is in the pic.

No way the horse could close his mouth around that, leaves very little room for the tongue. Pinching from the joint in the middle (tried and tested on my arm), bruising/teeth chips/fractures/damage on the bars of the mouth from the horse trying to close his mouth - pain. Unhappy horse.
    At a guess rider would try to 'close the mouth' with a drop nose, or tightened nose band, causing more pain.

The space between the two bars, and from the open mouth, would increase oxygen into the mouth drying it out faster. This would require more salvation (and swallowing), but may be unsuccessful due to the lack of room for the tongue to move.

8. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Yeah... don't like the look of that one! Looks like it would hurt!

I'm looking forward to when my grandparents get here with Crickets new bit :D They're bringing one like Amber's, but small fry sized! He's in a french link egg butt thingo and I have since found out that the flatness of the french link can be quite harsh on the tongue. It will be interesting to feel the difference (I long rein him occasionally) :)

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Good luck with the new bit :)

i'm looking around for a peewee .. am so keen to give this bit a go (peewee bit). I also love the spregner kk ultra loose ring .. fantastic. Never has such a lovely response from my mare.

10. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Yeah the one Amber has, and what Cricket will be getting, is a Neue Schule full cheek snaffle... I put a pic of it in this thread somewhere I think. They're very similar to the Sprengers but about half the price. I had Amber in a loose ring sweet iron copper link snaffle while I was waiting for the Neue Schule bit and the difference was huge!

11. kp

kp Well-known Member

It is called a Crescendo. It is used on horses that pull. Most people don't realise how it is meant to go on the bridle! The reins go on the ring part and the bridle cheek pieces should go on the narrow part next to the ring. This means that the bit sits flat in the mouth. Some horses seem to like them. Unfortunately most people don't do them up correctly. It really isn't as harsh as some people think.

12. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

kp - do you have a photo of this bit in the horses mouth? the way I am picturing it is that it's not flat .. and if it was flat, the width of the bit would be touching teeth..?

13. kp

kp Well-known Member

Sorry I don't. When fitted correctly it doesn't hit its teeth. I have one, but can't remember the last time I used it. They are seen around, but not very much.

14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Kp you're making sense to me **)

Cheeki when you fit this bit you're only adjusting it as per the top bar of the mouthpiece. If the basic rules of bit fit are followed then this would mean that this bit should sit no higher in the mouth than any other bit thus should not hit the teeth ;)

15. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I've seen a girl trying to get past a gear check with one while eventing. She had to remove it - it's not generally a PC legal bit but I have no idea if you can use it for EWA eventing.

16. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

The Crescendo is not PC legal, but can be used in EA eventing.**)

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Thought I would re-ignite this thread with this bit.........

[​IMG]

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

oh and this bit.........

[​IMG]

19. At first glance that bottom one looks scary GR! I'd say it's got a similar function/purpose to a tongue bit? You know, the ones designed to stop the horse getting its tongue over. A band-aid solution and sometimes used to replace correct riding and soft hands, but can be effective used in conjunction with correctness in the rider for a horse that's developed the problem as an evasion which has then become a habit.

The top one would be a fairly simple bit, the D-rings reducing the risk of pinching of fleshy lips and the curve/port reducing tongue pressure?

What about a mullen kimblewick with no slots? I'm using one on Monty for jumping and WOW, different horse! We were making no progress in a snaffle despite regular lessons with a well-considered instructor, but I haven't had a lesson since putting him in the kimblewick and we've made huge strides.

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that a tongue bit is a bandaid solution and used to replace correct riding. I have a filly here I have just finished breaking in who has an extremely athletic tongue and indeed a tongue bit could be an option for her. I wouldn't say I am riding her incorrectly for I rarely take up the contact at this early stage and indeed if I was riding her incorrectly then I would be yelled at.

Bit rich in my opinion coming in and saying a simple tongue control bit is used to replace correct riding and soft hands when you yourself have mentioned about riding in a kimblewick ';' :confused:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012