Hot Oil treatment before show?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Crusader, Nov 30, 2009.

1. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Hot weather = deep fried??

Just really quickly (and have to leave soon so hoping for a quick reply lol)

Being that it is going to be 37C today - is it tooooooo hot to use HiShine??

I kinda have images of my boy slowly deep frying in the heat! If I add flour and salt will he be crispy battered??? rofl *#)

Seriously - is it ok to use this product, and leave it on, in this kind of heat seeing as it is an 'oil based' product?

Ta

:))

Edit: Used the oil today (a bit cooler). It does smell yummy and apparently smells delicious to horses...ummmm... hope it isn't toxic cos the little bugger snuck over and drank 1/4 of a bucket of it before I realised!!! Loved it, obviously!! No drenching for him for a while! rofl *#) :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I was definitely impressed with Hi-Shine Lite Oil. I did Cullen while he was dirty LOL

I didn't have time to wash him. All I did was put some water and some oil in a spray and just groomed him with the spray and brush it down, combed his mane and tail...left to dry and again repeat it in next morning, did the same thing. I was just amazed on how much dirt came out of his coat in the afternoons when I groomed him. He hasn't been rugged for about a month, due to the hot weather. By third day I decided to rugged him, did not spray him though. And on the 4th day I took the rug off to see what his coat was alike. Oh geeeeeee, a nice silky soft coat and his colour is coming really nice and dark.

So I don't know whether its the oil or not LOL but interesting!

3. daisy1

daisy1 New Member

Hi Pjsarabs,i bought some hi-shine the other day, and was hoping you could tell me, do i need to dilute in water? i read that you mix 10;1 but am unsure of how much that actually is :eek: thanks.............

4. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Took this off the website Daisy1 Hope it helps :)

Using Hi Shine Hot Oil is very simple and easy. There are no hard and fast rules, use as little or as much as you like depending on how much conditioning is required. Mix Hot Oil with warm water in a bucket/container, and sponge or pour over the horses coat. Massage in if you want to treat your horse! The treatment can be rinsed off, or left on the coat. Tails can be wrapped up with the oil left in... this makes a brilliant difference to the hair. Mixing Hi Shine Hot Oil with warm water gives the most effective results, but it can also be used cold water! The object is to warm up the skin to open up the folicles so the oil is absorbed more easily, so if no warm water is available, just use the Hot Oil with cold water, on a warm horse.

5. daisy1

daisy1 New Member

thanks aryline, if i can drag the boys away from their hay roll i might treat them to a nice bath :)

6. JustJam

Hi daisy1 - a mix of 10:1 means if you use 1 cup of oil, you would mix it with 10 cups of water. If you use one litre of oil, you would use 10 litres of water. If you use 1 drop of oil, you would use 10 drops of water. That ratio seems a bit high...

I just used about 8 caps (the cap from the oil container) in a bucket of warm water (about 8 litres) - that seemed to be more than enough but is more like a 100:1 ratio if you assume that a cap contains about 10ml :)

I hope that helps! :)

7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

justjam, think like a business Owner :p The faster the horse owner uses the oil, the faster they have to buy more of the product :D Using your ratio of 1:100, the business would lose the sale of 9 bottles haha ;)

8. daisy1

daisy1 New Member

a,ha thanks justjam (someone who speaks my language*#)) Lol, that helps alot, thanks so much :)

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

The amount of oil you need really depends on both the type and length of your horses coat.

Straight after clipping I'll usually use 1 cup (250ml) of oil in about 1/3 of a bucket of warm water.

Then I'll reduce it down to about 1/2 cup in the same amount of water once the clip is a bit older.

If the hair is longer or coarser (so pony hair compared to TB or arab type hair) then I'll use less oil, even down to only a small dollop.

The best thing to do is to actually try it before the day before a show. Work out what amount of oil to water best suits your horse's coat.

I've found that I get the best results with Honda if I hi shine his coat a few times in the week or so leading up to the show but then the day before I just wash it as normal.
    It really does depend on each individual horse.

10. JustJam

ummm... oops! Guess I am just a poor mug end-user rofl ;)

Besides which, it is just such a good product that I just don't need to use more... ummmmm.... I s'pose they could 'water' the product down before we buy it??? :rolleyes:

On second thoughts.... Noooooooooo...! haha :eek:

And you're welcome, daisy1 - As Bethy said - all depends on your horse and what suits you :D

11. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

bought some today
    will try on both my boys
    and post how they go :)

ive also got a few ponies trying out the serum