Hot Branding Banned in Scotland...

Discussion in 'News Items' started by nannygoat, Aug 16, 2010.

1. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I don't see any real issue with hot branding.
    I admit I did, until I saw it done earlier this year. After seeing it, I had my mare done, standing in a stable with no sedatives etc and she didn't even flinch. It bothered me far more that it did her :p

3. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I prefer hot branding over freeze branding after watching it done on young horses, they hardly reacted. Zaza who did your branding, i need to get one done but dont have any numbers of people that do it here in WA.

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

We do our own hot branding & i'll always (fire) brand, however i have micro chipped 1 filly as she's much too small to put a brand on, she's lucky to be 24" so will brand her later on. She's been shown/registered with a Society that allows microchipping.

We don't sedate, never have, only for freeze which we've done a very small handful of times!

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

The point is that with Micro Chipping its no longer required.

6. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

agreed and the sooner ALL breed societys/stud books and the WA Ag depo make micro chipping plus DNA compulsary the better.....however until this time my horses will always be hot branded as i cant stand seeing beautiful animals with whopping great white letters stuck on thier shoulder........plus in my experience its a lot quicker and pain free than freeze branding.

Thankfully i dont live in scotland!**)

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

With your there 100% Prim **)

8. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Gamby Karl Buckley hot brands as well as freeze.

9. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

You don't have to have a white freeze brand. If you don't want it white tell whoever is branding and they can hold the iron on for a bit longer as you'd do with a grey horse. It will come out bald like a hot brand, just neater and more readable with no risk of blotching :)

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

yes and a heck of a lot more painful Jacko.

Both have their benefits.

The horse I had heat branded was fast and all over before he reacted. However he was left with wounds and of 4 brands (Stud, year of birth, foal drop number and Q for QH) only 2 of them lasted until his death at age 20

The horse I had freezebranded I had sedated as he is grey and I have seen them really react to it. mind you his brand will not be readable unless clipped out.

11. primrosecourt

thats very interesting i hadnt thought of that........however since i dont like branding anyway i choose hot branding because it is so quick and over in a blink of an eye.
    i have experienced around 350 +hot brands and i havent yet seen one that was botched.........mine have all been carried out by k.buckley here in wa and in europe and the uk it is done by the breed associations who do this day in day out.

hot branding is the choosen method with wb breeding...again absolutely no dramas and very minmal pain, if any, for the foals/horses.....;)

12. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

I wouldn't say freeze branding is more painful than a hot brand at all.
    Not sure how you can even compare the two pain wise although I'm not opposed to either.

Have branded a hell of a lot of cattle and horses with a hot brand, and I also freeze brand. I'm yet to see much of a reaction from freeze branding apart from the initial shock of the cold. But, as others have said hot branding is very quick so over and done with by the time they jump.

One of the main things i like about freeze branding is being able to use a smaller brand and it will still come out neat, even if it is a fairly detailed and closed in brand. For example you can use small 25mm numbers for foals and know they're not going to be too big and ugly when the horse is grown. These brands would have to be fairly big to be open enough to not blotch up when hot branded.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I have a white pony that was recently freezebranded, it was held on longer and he didnt have a problem with it. His brand is very readable as it has left it bald. Being an oldie we used to fire brand the ponies "back in the day" personally I would never go back to it.

Both types of branding can be done with minimum pain/discomfort but personally I have seen a lot more damage done with a firebrand than a freeze when done incorrectly:(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

why do I think freeze branding is more painful?

Because of the reaction of the babies I watched being freeze branded at the stud I worked for.

Now it is entirely possible that the reaction of the babies was more to the handling then the branding however my experience was this.

Every yearling that I prepared on that stud was headshy. They were all reactive to their ears being touched and one of them no matter how much time was put in was still incredibly headshy after a full yearling prep and breaking in.

After I worked a season at the stud I found out why.

At branding time the babies and their Mums were brought up into the crush area. Mum was put into the crush and baby was manhandled out the front of the crush. One man holding bum one man holding head. The ear was grabbed and the foal held forcefully against the fence while the brand was applied. Initially the foal stood quiet but after a while they started bucking and fighting to get away.

I assumed at the time that they were fighting aginst the pain. Thinking about it now they were probably also fighting against the restraint.

However I am sure that these babies brands were held on a lot longer then the recent freeze branding where my gelding pony was branded. Maybe that extra time was also creating difficulties.

15. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

When I got my fella freeze branded - I think he said ouch, but was all over the guy who did it like a flea....lol.....I dont think it really hurt him much at all - or if it did, the pain didnt bother him!

When he was done - he had it in place for quite some time.....longer than I have ever seen, possibly up towards 45 seconds... The reasons behind this were

1. his breeding, Andalusian.
    2. he is greying out
    3. he was a colt.

Now - this was supposed to render the area bald. It hasnt - but it it white. However, the other day, I noticed it growing out in dapples! its getting harder and harder to read :( I might have to seek out micro-chipping, but I really do prefer a very visual ID as it helps security and repossesion in theft situations, or when owner location is necessary.......

Dammit Dammit Dammit!

Apart form re branding...their are not many more options for a visual ID.

16. samm

samm Gold Member

Ever stuck your hand in dry ice?
    Do so then come back and tell if it burns:}

17. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Yeah - It fricken hurts...lol......maybe it was that fact that his nose was tied in a knot at the time that lessened the reaction....lol

18. primrosecourt

my hot brand is the smallest one you can get,i think it is a 25mm as you stated above.it makes a nice neat small mark!I havent ever experienced a foal we have branded that has had a bad job done on it......perhaps it because in europe you are not allowed to do it yourself and so it is always carried out by a very experinced professional?

19. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we have small branding irons,and its quick and over before you say boo.if every one had to microchip,the cost for larger studs would be huge.just for us,the cost of the brand and numbers would be the cost of 5 ponies microchipped.we have done 7 ponies already so to microchip we would be paying a fortune...

20. painter

painter Well-known Member

I'd never seen horses branded until earlier this year when I saw Karl Buckley freeze brand two foals. They were in a crush, and both fell asleep once twitched and didn't fuss at all over the freeze branding. They were well handled foals, but I had really expected to see some pain reaction from them.

Is the micro-chip for horses different to the ones they put in for dogs?