Horses With People Problems?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by FDPH, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Oh Lena, stop making perfect sense, they do hate, stop feeding them and see how much they love you pmsl.

Do you know how many times I have told people to stop being stupid, its a horse, it doesnt care if you live or die.??

But thats their horse not MY HORSE *#) *#)

2. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Hi Lena : )
    Can you tell me more about the reasoning thing?

Im interested as to what you see reasoning as? :)

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Sorry Sharaway......Ive seen horse greive over peoples absence before - Ive never seen one over a body before so I dont know the result of them responding to a dead person, or a death as it's hard to make them understand in english - but I have seen them greive over a persons absence. Even when everything is the same, same location, time, feed ect ect. no change, just a different person. which is very different.

4. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Preaching to the converted here, one of my horses frets and looses weight when I am not around, eats the same feed still but drops weight, walks the fences, calls out all the time, gives it up as soon as I am back, can cope with out me for 2 days, then starts sulking.

Gets aggressive towards new people that try to handle her, but acts like a lamb for me.

Call it what you will, but the horse is crazy about me, like no other horse that I have ever owned before.

Makes you wonder?

No projecting here, its all comming from the horse.

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Hollar!......jeepers - Ive never said that before....

6. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

I have one here that only I can catch. Brilliantly placid in harness...if you can catch him. It's quite funny when someone tries and he hightails it, and I walk in and get comes over and aims his nose in the halter almost putting it on himself.
    Sometimes if he's worked up he'll take a few mins but I always get my horse.:D

People are always saying "Oh he must love you" I like to wish he does but I would say "nah he just dislikes me less then everyone else"

Once the halter is on he is putty.. he has been like it all his life from what his previous owners said who had to run him into a small yard at times when he said p**s off. He's just a "sensitive delicate little flower" (ahem... a big 18hh flower) :))

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

awww Chill, now stories like that bring a tear to my eyes.

8. saltriver

saltriver Guest

Thankyou , thats exactly what I meant.!:)*

Today in the clinic 7 different people rode ,7 different colts that had, had approx 2hours preperation, over two days out in the pasture, with out the use of any kind of restraints, we just saddled them up moved them out and got on them and got their feet moving and away we went.:)

I will say it again, "you cant teach a horse anything if you cant move his feet.":D

9. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Of course your horse would be different lol. **) ;) :p

10. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Well said SMR. :) @)

11. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

LOL you guys.... I had a mare that would only come to me,was agressive towards other people(and my kids!).No-one else would handle or ride her yet I rode her bareback and in a halter!! Quite the ego trip.....of course now I realize that it wasn't love on her part-she was a very dominant mare and I (somehow) had gain the upperhand and she RESPECTED me for it! She was still as mad as a cut snake though.... But ALL my horses love me too....:D

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Yay Flicka lol :)*

13. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Oh believe me they can hate, i had a mare who HATED me, mind you i wasnt so fond of her either but she would go out of her way to try and throw me off and would throw herself around when we were riding at home in the arena, now of course on the ground could do ANYTHING with her- kids could run up and hug her legs/neck if she was eating, i could walk under her when doing girths up and at competition we never faltered as a pair as she enjoyed going out. Now sold on to a new family has never played up at all with them or with anyone else riding her at home bar me...coincidence..i think not lol!

I also do believe there is love, my pony is a 1 person pony, even his breeder says so and anyone who has seen me and him together say he loves me we have the closest bond and he always comes up to the gate as soon as i turn in the driveway with my car, i can do anything with him and he loves to come up to me and put his head on my chest for a cuddle.

I know some will say because im the "feed lady" but hey i also ride him near on everynight aswell so he never knows if im there just to feed or to ride aswell.

Also i put that on the same level as then saying well your dog cant love you either but if it isnt love what is it then when your dog defends you from dangerous situations.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  14. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Lol, no she certainly wasnt deaf :p

15. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Well who said horses cant love. My In-laws have had a life changing accident and I haven't been able to get to my boy (agisted) for four days and my friend had me on loudspeaker today while out at the stables and my boy heard my voice and whinnied so he loves me!!!!!!!!!!!! lots of treats for him tomorrow lol