Horses With People Problems?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by FDPH, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Hi All!
    I am no trainer therefore I usually don't post in this section.
    But here is my 2 bob worth:)*
    a) there is no such a thing as a bombproof horse,:)
    b)And for a horse to be able to understand what is required of him, an owner has to keep it SIMPLE! Horses are not complicated. A horse is a horse! It is not capable of reasoning, it is not capable of loving or hating, all horses life is based on instincts, comfort, fear and self preservation. Mentally they are rather simple and are easily confused when asked on a level BEYOND their comprehension. Keep it simple, keep it common sense, keep it easy, keep it comfortable for a horse and it will be easy to train hence it will understand what is required of him. Horses are like children, both are born bad habbits free:)* . They acquire them through life from people (envioronment).
    lena:D

2. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

To be honest im going to say no she wouldnt react haha! The 10ft stack of speakers where the music came blaring and banging out of would have been about 5ft from us when she didnt even react- the ponies went skitz through the whole thing!!!.

Where i agisted her previously there were great danes on the property (from the last litter she bred) and one used to jump up and grab hold of her tail all the time and they made it a game where she'd time it and swish her tail out of the way in the last minute....no it wasnt a leg but hell that horse used to play chasey with those dogs and always ended up with cuts and stuff from when she'd swiped a tree branch *grumbles* lol and she never blinked if she stopped and they crashed into the back of her.

And to add to that even backfiring cars etc close to her never phased her (we have recently sold her on to a games home!)....TBH we were amazed ourselves esp as she is an arab!!

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Lena, this is where I am going to stamp my feet and chuck a 3 year old in the middle of Coles sized Tanty....*#)

MY HORSE, bugger the rest of you and all your horses, MY HORSE loves me!!

AND AND AND not just coz I feed the coloured termite.

She calls to me when ever she see's me, she RUNS to the fence to get caught, she gets upset when ever I take one of the other horses and not her. She might be mental and have seperation issues, just might, but its LOVE I tell you Lena, LOVE god damn it you take back that statement pmsl.

:p

4. hehehe Shar:)* Don't kid yourself! Lol!
    Horses are like men*#) , the way to their hearts lies through their stomachs! Lol!:D :D *#)

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

noooooooo NO I tell you, Men might be dogs, but MY HORSE LOVES ME!!!

6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

snif snif.........bawl...whooo whooo.....me tooooooo! Who says they dont love me! : )

7. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Now that’s an odd question if I may say so, if a horse had choice it would be happily grazing:confused:

So now we should never look a horse in the eye, stuff that it’s the most expressive part of a horse, then the next expressive part of a horse is its ears. These tell everything if you understand.

We now have to wave a stick, which has a fond connection to a carrot, then a flag and then get tangled in lots of ropes 20ft long.

I have seen riders rub there spurs up the shoulder and flank of there horse because it wouldn’t listen now did this horse have a choice.

We create our own problems with our horses because we are unsure, just the same with children but perhaps its just to much confusion and living up to far to high expectations and ideals. We often don’t stand back and say what the hell have I done to start this.

Janet:)

8. Flicka
    :)* may because a horse understands you better??? Not that it loves you more*#) *#)
    lena

9. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Spot on! Make sure they know the answer BEFORE you ask the question:)

10. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Horses dont "love" humans, they can "like".....in fact I dont know if they have that human quality of being able to "love" and that is not necessarily a bad thing as love is a double edge sword.....the best we can hope for is that they "respect" us. John O'Leary has a good article on "Do horses love?" on his website, it is a good read.

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Love John as we all know, have read it, and I still will stand here and say sod you all, my horse loves me :p

12. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

LOL do like that one and you are sooooooooooooo spot on I took some photos of my mare Toolly after 4 days of picking Sandalewood seed and she reckond stuff you those saddle bags just got to heavy, mind you she didn't loose an ounce of weight back with her mates and happy TILL THE NEXT TREK*#)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But she does love me cause she does what I ask without question

Janet

13. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

I took this statement to be in reference to Geejay saying that people have a choice as to the methods and equipment that they use. Some of those methods take away any choice that a horse can have. The horse can't choose to do it the easy way or the hard way, there is only one way it can learn - through force. There are different ways of "teaching" a horse to do something, but some are better than others. JMO

14. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

lol Geejay, glad to hear your in the "MY HORSE loves me camp" **)

That camp is located firmly beside the river denial pmsl.

15. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Ummmmmmmmmm I love my Toolly and she loves me it's been that way from the day she was born.

She opened a space that I lost when my best mate died, we just have to make it happen it is called trust and common sense**)

Cheers Janet

16. Janet
    to love and let love are 2 absolutely different things.
    You love your mare, she lets you love her*#) she doesn't have a choice.
    lena

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Ohh Lena, dont make me go all baby seal on you and club you to death lol, stop it, horses DO love their humans. *#)

18. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Janet - that was such a good post earlier. Well said.

I'd just like to say.........what is love though? Horses and other non english speaking animals cant love as it is a human thing - it's not even a specific thing - it is a word that describes many things in significant value. It's a acheivment of personal values.

And Lena....do you mean like.....Im gonna kiss ur muzzle, no! dont move! I hold you still so I can kiss it.......their - you love me .....see : ) (of course he could move......not) LOL!

Then theirs the other school...... "what's loooove got to do, got to do with it...." Boop de boop do...

19. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Soo singing it with you Girl Friend lol.
    @)

20. shar:)
    stop it! stop it immideately! Lol!:) *#)
    If a horse can love it means it can hate!:)
    Without being able to reason a horse can't experience these feelings. Reasoning is what makes humans different to animals. It is a proven fact.:)
    lena